Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Predictions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has to decide what its corporate image is going to be. The Roadster and Model S put Tesla squarely into the "mid-tier luxury car manufacturer" category, alongside Porsche, Audi, BMW, Daimler, Jaguar, etc. None of these make a pickup (although Daimler does make some commercial vehicles).

If I were the Tesla brand manager, I'd only put the Tesla marque on vehicles in this high-end range. I'd address the lower-end range (pickups, 20k sedans, etc.) either through a separate brand or through supply relationships with Toyota, etc.

There's a definite need for a pickup.

Here you go:

attachment.php?attachmentid=3294&d=1320279026.jpg

It seems more likely to me that Tesla will change their minds and build a convertible based on the model S platform in 2014 before making the third-generation platform.

This doesn't require a change of mind. ANother thread (sorry don't recall which) quoted an article saying that a convertible will come in 2013/2014, while the new Roadster will also be on the third gen platform and be next after the convertible.

If I were the Tesla brand manager, I'd only put the Tesla marque on vehicles in this high-end range. I'd address the lower-end range (pickups, 20k sedans, etc.) either through a separate brand or through supply relationships with Toyota, etc.

They might do anything for which they have a good idea, including electric airplanes (unless that will be a separate company). :)

Mostly drive the LEAF these days.
That old RangerEV is great for short trips around town to move furniture, pick up building materials, etc.
EV low end torque is great when hauling loads of stuff.
EVs are also perfect for around town stop and go short trips.
Gas vehicles have high emissions and poor fuel economy when you drive them that way.

Well, I guess I was blinded by my own needs. I'd still agree though with the person who said Tesla might want to target a sub-brand if they want to keep things "luxury".

What do you mean by "sub-brand"? Do you mean Tesla Motors should make a new brand name at some point in the future like how Chrysler (for example) makes both Chrysler (kind of luxury) and also Dodge (less luxury, includes pickups, vans, minivans, etc.)?

What do you mean by "sub-brand"? Do you mean Tesla Motors should make a new brand name at some point in the future like how Chrysler (for example) makes both Chrysler (kind of luxury) and also Dodge (less luxury, includes pickups, vans, minivans, etc.)?

Yep. First thing that comes to mind is Audi -> VW. Though, if they'll be fleet vehicles, I suppose it wouldn't matter.

Why not drive it to the other side of the parking lot if your so worried?

Agreed. Not to mention she's not even in a parking spot...

Back to the topic...I could see a truck being in the pipe in 3-5 years and publicly available in 5-7 years. Of course, if Tesla does a truck an SUV probably wouldn't be far behind (not to mention the U.S. seems to love SUVs :cursing:) The day Tesla officially announces an SUV (or even a crossover) will be a sad day for me; especially since Model S fits 5+2 and has all that cargo room, an SUV is basically unnecessary. Also, most SUVs I see are being driven around with just the driver...

The biggest reason I can think of (aside from a boat or trailer) that necessitates an SUV is if someone has a family of 6 (or more). It would be nice if Tesla could find a way to make a sedan that comfortably fits six adults...

Last edited:
The day Tesla officially announces an SUV (or even a crossover) will be a sad day for me.
Didn't Tesla already do that with the Model X?

SUVs/crossovers still sell extremely well in the US. That's why Mercedes entered the market with the M-Class (okay they had the G-Class before, but that wasn't originally designed for civilian use), BMW with the X5, Audi with the Q7, Porsche with the Cayenne. All of them have been successes. So I can see why Tesla wants to build a crossover with the Model S platform.

Despite Tesla's plan to use profits from higher margin vehicles and work downwards, to be honest, the Roadster didn't exactly leave Tesla flush with cash (the overhead of the company was still too high and I think the Roadster had too limited of a market to last very long). Tesla really has to make a profit on the Model S platform if they ever hope to go to Bluestar. A crossover is a good way to do that in the US. As long as it is still fairly efficient, I don't see the problem in that.

We are strongly influenced by our inability to accurately plan for rare events.
You may think that you need 7 passenger space, or the ability to haul large objects, or drive 300 miles, drive off road.
If you use that capacity once a week, do you need it? Once a month? Once a year? Never, but want to be prepared?
You want a vehicle that will do everything you fantasize you may want to do.

The Model X will do more *good* per vehicle than the Model S will - where that good is displacing gasoline.
The Model X provides maximum fantasy utility with a tiny efficiency penalty.

Hey I just coined a new term: Fantasy Utility Vehicle = the FUV.

Last edited: