Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Predictions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. Not to mention she's not even in a parking spot...

Back to the topic...I could see a truck being in the pipe in 3-5 years and publicly available in 5-7 years. Of course, if Tesla does a truck an SUV probably wouldn't be far behind (not to mention the U.S. seems to love SUVs :cursing:) The day Tesla officially announces an SUV (or even a crossover) will be a sad day for me; especially since Model S fits 5+2 and has all that cargo room, an SUV is basically unnecessary. Also, most SUVs I see are being driven around with just the driver...

The biggest reason I can think of (aside from a boat or trailer) that necessitates an SUV is if someone has a family of 6 (or more). It would be nice if Tesla could find a way to make a sedan that comfortably fits six adults...

As others have stated the Model X has already been announced, and I don't at all see it as a negative. The SUV market is huge in the USA and now that they're safer, they actually make pretty comfy daily drivers.

We have a Q5 and a "green" buddy of mine complained when we got it that it was for "make believe utility". Well, tons of vet visits, grocery trips, lowes expeditions, move assists, road trips and of course transporting my winter wheels to and fro the dealer, I can say it's gotten its use. If I needed more "utility", which I may in the future, I'd get a pickup.

tons of vet visits, grocery trips, lowes expeditions, move assists, road trips and of course transporting my winter wheels to and fro the dealer, I can say it's gotten its use. If I needed more "utility", which I may in the future, I'd get a pickup.
As far as I can see, the Model S will be even better at all these tasks than your Q5. The only meaningful benefit of SUVs appears to be the higher road clearance and higher driver position.

All the SUVs on the road impair visibility for those few of us still in cars. It's like being at a football game where the guy in front of you stands up reflexively for any play that's remotely interesting -- really annoying, but at least at the stadium I can stand up, too.

As far as I can see, the Model S will be even better at all these tasks than your Q5. The only meaningful benefit of SUVs appears to be the higher road clearance and higher driver position.

All the SUVs on the road impair visibility for those few of us still in cars. It's like being at a football game where the guy in front of you stands up reflexively for any play that's remotely interesting -- really annoying, but at least at the stadium I can stand up, too.

Higher (and more comfortable) ride height is a perk too. I hear you on not being able to see around, but that's not really enough of a reason to NOT have them. Nor is the "I only see single drivers" in them reason either -- most 4 door sedans I see have 1 driver as well (one could then argue, why not get a coupe?). The "green" thing is also fairly moot these days as many crossovers get comparable mileage to the sedans they're based on (the Q5 is basically an A4, propped high with a hatch).

Regardless of your feelings toward them though, it's an extremely smart move for Tesla to leverage a platform they invested so heavily in to tap a very healthy market here in the US.

SUVs are absolutely awesome and necessary for hunting trips. The clearance is essential on washed out mountain roads and the 4 wheel drive is pretty essential for mud/snow/slush. There is plenty of room for your hunting buddies and lots of guns and game. The only SUV my parents bought was for that purpose and it did its job perfectly. The idea of an all electric SUV is very tantalizing because you could potentially have higher clearance and independent wheel motors. I would love to see that happen.

SUVs are absolutely awesome and necessary for hunting trips. The clearance is essential on washed out mountain roads and the 4 wheel drive is pretty essential for mud/snow/slush. There is plenty of room for your hunting buddies and lots of guns and game. The only SUV my parents bought was for that purpose and it did its job perfectly. The idea of an all electric SUV is very tantalizing because you could potentially have higher clearance and independent wheel motors. I would love to see that happen.

Off Roading in an EV SUV would be a recipe for disaster IMO....Rugged Terrain/mud etc would deplete the battery at a rapid rate. I would not trust an EV SUV to take me into the boonies for a camping trip etc too much to go wrong. I think there are a couple applications where a diesel powered vehicle would be superior to an EV, Towing, Off Roading, Expeditionary etc. EVs are great for commuting but in hostile environments nothing can beat a diesel.

I want to see them replace the Tesla service ranger vans with special versions of the Model X or their own fleet type panel van. Maybe give them a special "stacked pack" for double the range to get out to those hard to reach customers?

Or perhaps a purpose built trailer with a gas generator to be towed behind the ranger van and specially reserved for trips that exceed the range of the Model X / van platform...

Last edited:
I want to see them replace the Tesla service ranger vans with special versions of the Model X or their own fleet type panel van. Maybe give them a special "stacked pack" for double the range to get out to those hard to reach customers?

Or perhaps a purpose built trailer with a gas generator to be towed behind the ranger van and specially reserved for trips that exceed the range of the Model X / van platform...

Cool idea but will the Model X be able to tow a Roadster or Model S in service? Until we get more "Tesla" information on the towing capacities...it looks like the vans are still in.

Tesla has to decide what its corporate image is going to be. The Roadster and Model S put Tesla squarely into the "mid-tier luxury car manufacturer" category, alongside Porsche, Audi, BMW, Daimler, Jaguar, etc. None of these make a pickup (although Daimler does make some commercial vehicles).

If I were the Tesla brand manager, I'd only put the Tesla marque on vehicles in this high-end range. I'd address the lower-end range (pickups, 20k sedans, etc.) either through a separate brand or through supply relationships with Toyota, etc.

You have no idea how pretentious the pickups can get out here in the faux-rural areas, and how overbuilt the cabs can get. "Luxury pickup" isn't a contradiction in terms, believe it or not. Who do you think all those "pickup driving to the top of mountain" ads on TV are targeted to? Not to practical people buying a pickup solely for its utility value!

I think, believe it or not, that there is a serious market for a luxury electric pickup.

For instance, Lincoln MKT:
2006_lincoln_mkt_main_a.jpg

Cadillac Escalade:
Blue-Cadillac-Escalade-EXT-Luxury-Truck.jpg

etc.

Last edited: