Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preferred/Best Apps for finding Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the preferred/best apps for finding charging locations near you?

I have already googled this question, but would like some answers based on TMC user experience.

I will potentially be taking my first trip in my Tesla next week to a location that is 60+ miles from the nearest supercharger and parking my vehicle for 3 days, so I would like to be able to find chargers effectively. I have already started researching the area and see a lot of places that are L2 chargers for customer use only.

I am planning the trip with A Better Routeplanner. I love their options. I had looked into plugshare.

Any other suggestions besides plugshare, or is that the best one in your estimation?
Since Plugshare has charging locations from all the different charging networks, non-networked chargers and private home charging, it's the only one we've continued to use.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
But you’ll need either the ChargePoint app or account if you are directed to a ChargePoint charger that requires authentication - which technically they all do even the free ChargePoint ones. So, it’s best to have that app too.

But you’ll need either the ChargePoint app or account if you are directed to a ChargePoint charger that requires authentication - which technically they all do even the free ChargePoint ones. So, it’s best to have that app too.
I would use Plugshare to find all charging locations. Then if I actually want to use one of them, I'll install an additional app, if necessary. I wouldn't want to have to search for charging locations with half a dozen different apps when one does the job.

I installed Chargepoint's app in the past so that I could use a charger in the middle of Nebraska. They sent me some NFC tags that I could scan. I never needed to use the app again so I uninstalled it.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
I would use Plugshare to find all charging locations. Then if I actually want to use one of them, I'll install an additional app, if necessary. I wouldn't want to have to search for charging locations with half a dozen different apps when one does the job.

I installed Chargepoint's app in the past so that I could use a charger in the middle of Nebraska. They sent me some NFC tags that I could scan. I never needed to use the app again so I uninstalled it.
The nice thing about the Chargepoint app is that IF installed on your phone (or Apple Watch too) it will just use the NFC on the phone to authenticate with the ChargePoint terminal. I never really use the app on the phone (although it does need to be installed to enable this) since the ChargePoint card is in my Apple Watch wallet and I just double click and pull it up on the watch and hold the watch in front of the terminal. The NFC key tags are fine too, but since I hardly ever have any keys with my Tesla, I don’t really have anything to hang it on.

We have a lot of ChargePoint locations out here in CA, OR, UT and WA both free and paid, so it’s pretty much a must have outside of the Tesla Supercharger network.

Install Plugshare app. I agree with #7 above.
If you find yourself using a lot of a particular charging brand/company then in addition to the app consider getting an RFID card for tapping. Sometimes cell connections can be spotty/unreliable.