Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preferred fast-food franchise next to Tesla supercharging station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My dear fellow Tesla owners, which Fast-food franchise do you guys usually prefer next to a Supercharger station while charging your car. If not food, where else would you like to spend ~30-45 minutes while charging? Appreciate all the inputs.

Specific chains/stores are going to be a highly personal preference (although I'll put my vote in for Panera, which works really well at a Supercharger timewise).

If I were to rephrase the question as what amenities would you consider important at a Supercharger, my answer would be (in order of importance):
  1. 24/7 restroom
  2. Trash cans & window squeegees at the stalls
  3. Coffee / drinks / snacks available for individual purchase
  4. Fresh made sandwich options (a la Panera, Subway, Jersey Mike's)
  5. Hot chicken sandwich options (a la Bojangles, Chick-fil-A)
  6. Burger options (a la McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King)
  7. Mexican options (a la Moe's)
  8. Pizza options
The large convenience chains (Sheetz, Wawa) tick a lot of those boxes (particularly the most important ones), but I feel like the long term goal would be more of a travel plaza concept where you have the Supercharger/charging station as the hub of a larger food-court like facility with multiple options for everyone (similar to Thruway travel plaza rest areas). That's not really practical for the more remote stations, but it would be great to see these along major interstate routes.

Reactions: DblOSmith
In New England, we could use a few In-N-Out Burger places next to Superchargers. :)

For non-food stops, chargers at the larger gas stations tend to have clean bathrooms, trash cans, and window squeegees.

Even adding supper chargers at the same time as mega chargers to truck stops wouldn't be a bad idea.

One of my cousins own a commercial lot next to upcoming Tesla supercharger(30-50 possible chartering stalls), They're trying to figure out a best way to use the space. Land Lease? Build something unique? Take up a franchise? anything else that would do better?

Echoing @Big Earl: it would ideally be a place where one can get and eat food in less than 30 minutes. EV drivers come in all sizes, shapes, and colors so, as @RTPEV points out the usual personal preferences with fast food apply to them as well.
Panera gets a high mark as they offer pretty much something for everyone (meat, vegetables, pastries, bathrooms, WiFi, coffee, breakfast, lunch, dinner, . . . ).

One of my cousins own a commercial lot next to upcoming Tesla supercharger(30-50 possible chartering stalls), They're trying to figure out a best way to use the space. Land Lease? Build something unique? Take up a franchise? anything else that would do better?
Not sure I have a great recommendation here, but I absolutely love that you and/or your cousins are thinking along these lines. This marks a change in attitude from charging networks trying to seek out acceptable venues to host a site, to sites being purpose built to host charging sites. I'm pretty sure we're on the cusp of seeing the creation of new kinds of travel centers that cater to EV owners in ways that are probably similar to travel centers, but maybe evolving into things we aren't even thinking of yet.

I read an article the other day about the concept designs for charging hubs, and like many concepts, the ideas were a bit out there. But I'm sure someone will come up with some innovative way to monetize the fact that you have a somewhat captive audience for 15-30 minutes.

. . . a commercial lot next to upcoming Tesla supercharger. . .
If there is going to be a proper sit-down restaurant, especially in a resort area like Bend, where it may serve a lot of local folks or folks staying in the area: I would recommend the installation of a few slower, destination chargers to draw shoppers who will spend more time in the area. Folks who are supercharging can't spend much time in the area. Many will just sit in their cars, which doesn't help the local business much. Those using slower, destination chargers can conveniently dine or shop. I'd recommend perhaps four 48 amp charging stations as these will enable a good charge in about 4 hours.

Reactions: AlexHung and Genie
Specific chains/stores are going to be a highly personal preference (although I'll put my vote in for Panera, which works really well at a Supercharger timewise).

If I were to rephrase the question as what amenities would you consider important at a Supercharger, my answer would be (in order of importance):
  1. 24/7 restroom
  2. Trash cans & window squeegees at the stalls
  3. Coffee / drinks / snacks available for individual purchase...
This. Only, I would add, 24/7 CLEAN restrooms. AKA: Bucee's.

And as for food... something quick. I have driven several LONG road trips in my Tesla and I can't remember it ever taking 30-45 minutes to charge during a stop. Typically, by the time I have ordered my food and finished any other necessary rest-stop chores, it is time for me to unplug and move so that I don't incur idle fees.

I would also add that charger spots that are placed farther away from the main entrance tend to be ICE'd less often.