Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preferred Micro SD Card for BlackVue DashCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went ahead and ordered the BlackVue DR650S 2-Channel from B&H Video for $269 on their Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale since it seemed like a good price in anticipation of my Model S delivery in December. I assume today being Cyber Monday would be a good time to buy a larger memory card for the dashcam. Do current users have any preference towards memory card brand and size for the BlackVue? Thanks in advance!

I had issues with my BlackVue where there would be huge gaps between recordings. I thought my camera had gone bad, so I researched the issue online on various car forums. Turns out, the problem was with the microSD card and not the camera. Apparently, Sandisk's microSD card design does not play well with the dashcam's constant rewriting on the card. People recommended the Sandisk High Endurance card (not the Sandisk Ultra one) and Lexar microSD cards.

Since then, I've tried out the Lexar and the Sandisk High-Endurance microSD card and found that they don't have the same issue that my older Sandisk did. Right now, I'm using the 128 GB Lexar card.

Bad Card:
Amazon.com: SanDisk 64GB Mobile Ultra MicroSDXC Class 10 Memory Card with SD Adapter - Retail Packaging: Computers & Accessories

Good Card:
Amazon.com: Lexar High-Performance microSDXC 633x 128GB UHS-I, U1 w/USB 3.0 Reader Flash Memory Card - LSDMI128B1NL633R: Computers & Accessories

Sandisk doesn't make a higher 128 GB capacity High-Endurance card (the largest being 64 GB), so I elected to keep my 128 GB Lexar card in for now. So far, I've had no issues with my dashcam recordings.

Last edited:
I had issues with my BlackVue where there would be huge gaps between recordings. I thought my camera had gone bad, so I researched the issue online on various car forums. Turns out, the problem was with the microSD card and not the camera. Apparently, Sandisk's microSD card design does not play well with the dashcam's constant rewriting on the card. People recommended the Sandisk High Endurance card (not the Sandisk Ultra one) and Lexar microSD cards.

Since then, I've tried out the Lexar and the Sandisk High-Endurance microSD card and found that they don't have the same issue that my older Sandisk did. Right now, I'm using the 128 GB Lexar card.

Bad Card:
Amazon.com: SanDisk 64GB Mobile Ultra MicroSDXC Class 10 Memory Card with SD Adapter - Retail Packaging: Computers & Accessories

Good Card:
Amazon.com: Lexar High-Performance microSDXC 633x 128GB UHS-I, U1 w/USB 3.0 Reader Flash Memory Card - LSDMI128B1NL633R: Computers & Accessories

Sandisk doesn't make a higher 128 GB capacity High-Endurance card (the largest being 64 GB), so I elected to keep my 128 GB Lexar card in for now. So far, I've had no issues with my dashcam recordings.
I was looking to buy the Lexar 633X, but it seems like the 128gb is not in stock at most places right now. Thanks for the confirmation on that model!

I tried this first:
Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter, Grey/Red, Standard Packaging (SDSQUNC-064G-GN6MA): Computers & Accessories
and after a week or so started to corrupt (no indication from the camera, but when I went to retrieve the videos they could not be played - the files were there but the videos were corrupt). I then tried the 32GB card that came with Blackbue, same problem after a week or two. Did a little research and found that newer cards nowadays have a "V" rating, which rates the card for continuous video recording. So I bit the bullet and got this:
Amazon.com: SanDisk Click to open expanded view Extreme PLUS Micro SDXC UHS-1 Card, Black, with Adapter (SDSQXWG-128G-GN6MAMA): Computers & Accessories
which is "V30" rated (should be plenty for 2 HD cameras recording). It's worked great for last 5 months. I did a 6000+ mile trip in October and pulled out some videos from that trip, no issues whatsoever.

Another vote for the Sandisk endurance cards. Just purchased a few hundred of them (seriously) for a project at work... and likely buying thousands more.
Either the structure is SLC or they literally double the wear-leveling, whatever they did it does last much longer through many write-erase cycles than any other card we've been using.

• Informative
Reactions: fallen888
I finally plugged in my DR650GW 2-CH I had installed about 1.5 yrs ago (I was too busy to deal with troubleshooting the "Please check the SD card" error). I got a 64GB Sony SDXC Class I 70MB/s.

First, I formatted it using the 10-second press of the "WIFI" button. Worked fine for recording, but wouldn't read on my Mac.
So I formatted the microSD volume on my Mac as FAT32, but still "Please check the SD card."
Next, I tried formatting it from the BlackVue Viewer app, it just brought up the Apple Disk Utility. Reformatted, still "Please check the SD card."

SOLUTION: I researched a little on the internet... you need to erase the DISK, not the volume! Use MBR (master boot record) and MS-DOS (FAT32).
HINT: it still says, "Please check the SD card" until you power cycle the DR650GW.

I'm reading on Dashcam Bros they recommend a SLOWER card? And some here recommend these high performance cards. Is this all just a crap shoot, or is there any verifiable research regarding recommended cards? And my product description says "Up to 64GB support." Anyone successfully using 128 or larger cards?

... I'm reading on Dashcam Bros they recommend a SLOWER card? And some here recommend these high performance cards. Is this all just a crap shoot, or is there any verifiable research regarding recommended cards? And my product description says "Up to 64GB support." Anyone successfully using 128 or larger cards?

I've been using a Lexar 128GB 633x 95MB/s Class 10 UHS-I microSDXC card in my 650GW-2ch for months without problem

I finally plugged in my DR650GW 2-CH I had installed about 1.5 yrs ago (I was too busy to deal with troubleshooting the "Please check the SD card" error). I got a 64GB Sony SDXC Class I 70MB/s.

First, I formatted it using the 10-second press of the "WIFI" button. Worked fine for recording, but wouldn't read on my Mac.
So I formatted the microSD volume on my Mac as FAT32, but still "Please check the SD card."
Next, I tried formatting it from the BlackVue Viewer app, it just brought up the Apple Disk Utility. Reformatted, still "Please check the SD card."

SOLUTION: I researched a little on the internet... you need to erase the DISK, not the volume! Use MBR (master boot record) and MS-DOS (FAT32).
HINT: it still says, "Please check the SD card" until you power cycle the DR650GW.

I'm reading on Dashcam Bros they recommend a SLOWER card? And some here recommend these high performance cards. Is this all just a crap shoot, or is there any verifiable research regarding recommended cards? And my product description says "Up to 64GB support." Anyone successfully using 128 or larger cards?

Also on a Mac here and running current MacOSX software. Just bought and using a Blackvue 128GB card with no problems (DR650S-2ch).

First and most importantly always unplug the power to your camera. The camera itself has a built-in super capacitor as a "backup battery" so it can power down safely when power is detached. Since you mentioned it gave the alert until you power cycled the camera, it sounds like you didn't turn off power to start with. You really never want to be pulling cards out without doing so.

Here's what we did. After following the BlackVue Manual's instructions on removing the microSDcard from the camera, inserted the new microSDcard into the adapter and plugged into our computer. Ran the Blackvue Viewer program and depressed the Format Card icon. It will bring up Disk Utility. BlackboxMyCar has a nice diagram of the last formatting steps on their site so we picked up instructions from that point: How to get a 64GB+ MicroSD to work with Macs (Mac OSX, 10.11.6, El Cap. Format should be MS-DOS (FAT) and Scheme should be MASTER BOOT RECORD. Then hit erase. The card is now ready to use. (keep in mind the instructions BlackboxMyCar gives are for formatting a different camera using the Mac so some of the text will be different for the Blackvue dashcam). The current Blackvue manual for our unit does NOT reflect the changes to formatting that Mac OS X El Capitan introduced...they don't show the Scheme setting! so I can understand people running into problems.

One other IMPORTANT thing to remember for Mac users is that if you are using a 64 or 128 GB microSDcard, you don't ever want to try reformatting the card in the camera by holding down the button for 10 seconds. It only works on the 16 and 32GB cards, nothing above. If you do so it will make the card unreadable on the Mac, which OP found out. I'll see if I can find where I read that but pretty sure it was on the Blackvue website.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: f-stop and boaterva
OK found that reference on the Blackvue site for Mac users about NOT using the 10-second hold on the format button on the camera when using higher capacity cards beyond the 32GB. It was on this page regarding firmware upgrade downloads. Downloads - BlackVue Here's the exact reference:

"5. MicroSD Card support: DR650GW, DR650S, DR450, DR430 Series models support up to 128GB cards, and DR750LW-2CH supports up to 64GB cards, with a few caveats:
a. Compatibility is guaranteed only with the official BlackVue microSD cards.
b. In case your card is an SDXC model, formatting directly from the BlackVue will cause it to become unreadable on Mac OS computers.
Formatting the card from the BlackVue Viewer for Mac or Windows will prevent this issue
."

SDXC cards are the Extended Capacity cards that range from 64GB and up. Interestingly on the SanDisk website it says their SDXC cards have a default format of exFAT. Blackvue specifically mentions SanDisk cards and compatibility issues btw:
  • "It is recommended to use the BlackVue microSD cards only. 3rd party microSD cards, especially SanDisk microSD cards, may have compatibility issues with BlackVue dash cams." ( How to format the micro SD card? ).
  • The BlackVue site also mentions SanDisk cards under Random Restart issues: "*The main requirement (aside from the microSD card being Class 10) is that the microSD card must be formatted as FAT 32 [windows] or MS-DOS (FAT) [mac]. We highly recommend using BlackVue microSD cards for optimal performance. The reason for it is that dashcams put microSD cards under higher stress than most electronic products such as action cameras or DSLRs due to their constant recording. We test our cards extensively before selecting them for inclusion in our products, to make sure that their performance is good and degrades as little as possible over time. We cannot guarantee the perfect performance of cards from other manufacturers, as even cards with the same specifications may vary from batch to batch. Especially the SanDisk microSD cards, which show more restarting and stability issues in BlackVue dash cams." ( The dashcam is restarting randomly, how to fix it? )

Thanks all for the verification that 128GB cards work fine despite only being "compatible" up to 64GB. I'll look at these.

How do you format the card for blackvue usage - especially the higher capacity cards?

At least on Mac, the steps are rather simple, as linked above by SMAlset's first post; here it is again: How to get a 64GB+ MicroSD to work with Macs (Mac OSX, 10.11.6, El Cap

Pay close attention to the second image, left pane: note the DEVICE (above) is selected, not the VOLUME (below), and select Master Boot Record for the partition table.

The same technique works fine on OS X 10.12.4, Sierra.

Also on a Mac here and running current MacOSX software. Just bought and using a Blackvue 128GB card with no problems (DR650S-2ch).

First and most importantly always unplug the power to your camera. The camera itself has a built-in super capacitor as a "backup battery" so it can power down safely when power is detached. Since you mentioned it gave the alert until you power cycled the camera, it sounds like you didn't turn off power to start with. You really never want to be pulling cards out without doing so.

It's very possible it would have worked after reformatting just the FAT32 volume the first time had I power cycled the unit; I don't know. I just assumed it actually checks before rejecting the card. It definitely checks for the presence of the card, because it keeps saying there's no SD card until you insert it, then the infernal "Please check the SD card."

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf