TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Pregnant woman hit by MX (out of main)

Discussion in 'Model X' started by JohnDinger, May 28, 2019.

1. Icer

Icer Member

I picture the boy standing, leaning back, holding the wheel,
    kicking at the pedals, pushing buttons, etc.
    High speed jumble of zzoom

Mom exhausted, relieved to be home, guard was down.

I am guessing this because I see bad behavior everywhere now.

"Free range Kids"
    Just say no is my standard answer
    Worked for me and mine.

No means no.
    Thats it.

More difficult to apply in broken homes, and
    maybe more important there.
    Kids lose what their role is supposed to be

At first, there is resistance, but if you stand on
    No Means No
    they will stop acting up
    because it stopped working.

2. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

No 2 year old deserves spanking. A firm roll of the eye and a raised voice may be

• Like x 1
  3. EVNow

EVNow Well-Known Member

I think they would find it challenging to push the brake and pull down the lever. Unless - this is something the kid has practiced with the help of the adults before. Infact, I'd say if this is what happened, I bet the adults have shown the kid exactly how to put the car into drive and drive the car. What pedal to press etc.

This is a lesson for all of us with small kids. Absolutely no need to show them how to do these things.

• Funny x 1
  4. weak_pig

weak_pig Member

I think OP and plaintiff were expecting Tesla to implement butt-sensing ID via driver seat

5. commasign

commasign TeslaAdviceBlog.com

Pure speculation: I think the woman is lying. Something very different happened (i.e. another person somehow involved) and she’s covering it up by blaming her 2 year old. Perfect alibi because she knows Tesla can pull logs from the car but you can’t pull logs from a 2 year old (trust me, I’ve tried). ;)

• Like x 1
  6. EVNow

EVNow Well-Known Member

First thing I thought about - but difficult to square that with the fact of neighbors coming over to help reverse the car.

• Like x 1
  7. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

According to those who actually read that, I see the same problem exists in ICE cars. I'd like to see comparison between the two (using safe tests, of course), before declaring one the loser in this stupid matchup.

8. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

#68 SMAlset, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    You can read her Complaint here (Look for the last item down the page #1 for the downloadable pdf):

https://www.plainsite.org/dockets/3yygt6grn/superior-court-of-california-county-of-alameda/harcourt-v-tesla-inc/

There's more info on what happened in this article. Family Sues Tesla Alleging Design Flaw in 2018 Model X - Two-Year-Old Races SUV into 8-Month Pregnant Mother

She had the car for 3 days. The article says the car was parked in her driveway "with the engine off". You need to read the Complaint (Allegation #10 starts the description of her actions and the car's movement) and the article to get a broader picture of what happened with her coming home from shopping, pulling in the driveway, opening her car doors (not closing them) and leaving with her groceries and her son in tow to take him inside to go to the bathroom. The kid decides to run out to the car instead and climbs in the front seat, she runs out after him but by that time the car was moving forward and hit her and kept moving forward until it had pinned her against the garage/house wall. She left the car doors open so that she could go back into the car presumedly to take additional things out of the car. I don't doubt she put the car in Park but have to wonder if she left her phone or card key in the car while she ran inside.

Here's the info from our Model S manual on Powering off the car. I assume the MX operates the same but MX owners can better speak to what might have happened.

"Powering Off
    When you finish driving, shift into Park by pressing the button on the end of the gear selector. The parking brake automatically engages and all systems keep operating. When you leave Model S with the key , it powers off automatically, turning off the instrument panel and touchscreen."

In the Complaint she stated that the car's falcon wing doors were still open when it started moving. Can the car drive with the falcon doors open?

9. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.28.3.1

Currently, the "Phone Key" functionality doesn't exist for the S and X so that would mean she left her key fob in the car.

• Like x 4
  10. DS 5/15

DS 5/15 Member

Turning on PIN to drive would eliminate the possibility of this happening.

• Like x 2
  11. SMAlset

BTW I don't think her law firm researched the operation of the car's braking system very well but relied on faulty reports popularized in the news. The Complaint relies on Unintended Acceleration reports as part of their position and stating that there were numerous complaints about this registered with the NHTSA.

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

13. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Thread merge maybe?

14. SMAlset

Read that and interesting that they now admit to what the boy did. Posted a comment under that thread too. Both these threads should go into a Model X forum area.

So they are still suing to make the car safer and what get a settlement to pay for hospital bills and attorneys time? Shouldn’t this fall under their homeowner’s insurance.

15. OPRCE

OPRCE Member