Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preheat battery on SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s a cold morning today with light snow that isn’t staying. Snowflake icon appeared and I’m planning to go supercharge. I turned on the precondition by a certain time and the snowflake icon is still there. I’ve now been running the Hvac for an hour to see if the battery will actually warm and the cold icon remains. Shows full capacity at 73%. Is this normal?

Battery heating indicator did not come on until I got in and drove with the super charger as the destination. There has to be a way to precondition for charging from inside your home!

Last edited:
Ingenext has a bonus module that will let you precondition on demand. Otherwise, heating the cabin using the app should heat the battery a bit, like up to 20C (from last winter's observations). Supercharger needs 40C or around that. Apart from the bonus module, the only option I know is to navigate to the SuC, while in drive.

Last edited:
What was the actual temperature? If it’s below 50 degrees F or so, turning on the cabin heat should also activate battery preconditioning (at least that’s my experience). If it was colder than that and you had the cabin heat on, it should have been preconditioning the battery. In the app, you’ll see little bacon strips by the range estimator in the top left corner of your screen.

The blue snowflake in the car is just saying that the battery is cold. It is possible that it was preconditioning the battery and you could still have the snowflake it was really cold.

Hope that helps.

Still wondering what the actual temperature was...

Attachments

• IMG_8843.jpeg
    IMG_8843.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 144
Your inside temp shows as 52F. IF the car stayed all night outside in those temps, it's possible that the battery ended up close to that temp or slightly higher. If nothing has changed, the car targets 68-70F for the battery so at that temp, it would have warmed it, thus the bacon at the top left.
To know the battery temp you need ScanMyTesla or another such CAN bus reader.

Reactions: rpiotro
Your inside temp shows as 52F. IF the car stayed all night outside in those temps, it's possible that the battery ended up close to that temp or slightly higher. If nothing has changed, the car targets 68-70F for the battery so at that temp, it would have warmed it, thus the bacon at the top left.
To know the battery temp you need ScanMyTesla or another such CAN bus reader.

That's a snapshot of my app. I'm asking the OP what his/her temps were and demonstrating what the battery warming icon looks like. My car was at 52 degrees (in the garage) and my battery heated a bit this morning.

Not sure why I can't edit my earlier post anymore to make it clearer...

Reactions: GtiMart
The battery warming it does when you turn on the climate is different than the preconditioning when you are driving to a supercharger. The climate preheating only heats it up to a good driving temperature. The preconditioning to supercharger heats it to as close to 50C as it can.

Outside temp isn't the right thing to look at. What temperature was it the day before and how cold was it the few hours prior? It takes a while for the pack to change temperature just by exterior temp differences without any liquid circulating. Your pack might still have been fairly higher than 33.
Last year the target battery temp was close to 70F but it might have changed.

I looked at it this morning. Car in garage with battery at 14C. The car did NOT heat the battery when I started conditioning the cabin. The target heating temp in ScanMyTesla was 10C so I assume the car now stops heating at 10C instead of 20C last year. In my opinion this is a great change. The car is driveable enough with a 10C battery and it's a lot less wasteful. I will be looking at this more as temperatures drop here.