Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preheat Cabin, then let it cool naturally without AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So when we are going on a roadtrip and it's -15C outside like today, I like to preheat the cabin while on the HPWC to 23C, and then let it naturally cool after we're in the car down to around 18C.
If we get in the car and set the temp to 18, it kicks on the AC and tries to cool the car, if I set it to somewhere in the middle it will kick the heat on when we don't want it.
What settings should I use on the climate control to achieve what I'm after.
Thanks.

How about setting the temp to 18? Setting it to 23 does not make it heat up to 18 any faster.
The idea is not to have it heat up faster, it's to have it heat up to 23 on the house power so when we get in the car it can naturally cool down to 18ish. That way we're pre-loading the heat and it's half an hour or so before the car cools down to the point where we have to start using battery power to keep us warm, instead of it kicking on within a few minutes of pulling out of the garage.

Turn off the AC manually?
Yeah, tried that today. We need to turn off Auto and manually fudge a couple of settings, it seemed to still try and cool the car down. If we stop the air from circulating then it fogs up in a heartbeat.

Was hoping there was a simple setting that just exists that could maybe be a "car is preheated" don't cool, but I guess not.

Why not just set it to 18 °C 10 - 15 minutes before you get in. The heater will come on full bore (5.5 kW) but only for a few minutes and after 15 minutes it will have slowed way down to a kW or two (it might be a bit more than that with a - 15 ° ambient) but will be stable.

I completely understand what he is saying. The car with v9 tries to "help" by automatically turning on the heat when the cabin temp is colder than preset and A/C cooling when it is warmer than preset. Problem is, unlike most cars there is no "heat" switch because the A/C = heat which is weird. I understand all this, it just upsets me every time I get in the car I have to hit the Temp power then open up the A/C section of the interface then turn the power off. If you touch anything else, it just turns the A/C or heat back on. Default is ON. I WANT A "FAN ONLY" BUTTON as well as an "OFF" button that keeps the compressors or heaters off. There is currently no way to fan fresh air into the car without running the A/C or Heat unless you try to match the temperature outside with inside as closely as possible. If you set the fan running and turn the system off it turns the fans off or down to like 1. What I am asking is to make the car more efficient without having to roll down the windows or trick the system just to get fresh air.

Right!
We need heat, lots of it right now.
I want to be able to pre-load the cabin with heat supplied by the home charger, then let it naturally lose temperature until it gets down to the below the set point.
By "overheating" on the home charger, the difference would be that we could run for half an hour or so without burning battery to create heat. The car keeps trying to cool down the car because the set point is lower than the temp in the cabin. I could chase the temp with a higher set point that I'd have to adjust every 5 minutes, but I just want to tell it not to cool it down with the AC.