Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preheat for CCS usage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How would I be able to Preheat my Model 3 battery for use with a CCS Fast charger when the nearest Supercharger is too far away?

And also what is considered to far away? Are we talking 60 kms? 75 kms? 100 kms away?
I noticed the other day heading for a supercharger preheating kicked on about 50 km's away.

If I select a supercharger that is 50 km's in the wrong direction will preheating turn off if I go further away from it?

How would I be able to Preheat my Model 3 battery for use with a CCS Fast charger when the nearest Supercharger is too far away?

And also what is considered to far away? Are we talking 60 kms? 75 kms? 100 kms away?
I noticed the other day heading for a supercharger preheating kicked on about 50 km's away.

If I select a supercharger that is 50 km's in the wrong direction will preheating turn off if I go further away from it?

Yeah my impression is that it turns on at about 30 miles, which roughly corresponds to your 50km estimate.

From my testing you don't actually have to be driving though. It is enough to set the destination and if you activate the brakes it will begin pre-conditioning (assuming one is already in range).

• Helpful
Reactions: Randy-12
But you need to stay in the car... I tried setting a destination and got out of the car to load the luggage in and say (in ScanMyTesla) that heating stopped immediately. It resumed when I got back in and pressed the brake again.

Note that preheating could start way more in advance than 50km in cold climates. It really depends on the current battery temperature, not the distance.

As a partly related note, touching the preheating message, which is supposedly known to stop preheating, does not stop it. Preheating continues but the message disappears :p

Reactions: masotime
I recently drove down to Florida and what I experienced was that the target temp for supercharging was more like 50C. My battery was already at or over 40C while driving and the car would start preheating at some point. During charging I saw my battery go over 60C more than once. Obviously these targets can change with software updates so just take that as a data point.