Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preheating with Auto Defroster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
last night it was 25f outside and my back window is covered in frost. When preheating the car the auto defroster did not come on. The wipers were off from when I went to the car wash is that a possibility why the defroster did not come on? Do they maybe use the camera for rain drops to determine frost?

Reactions: nmm3
I'm having the same issue lately. I feel like I was previously getting the defrost icon in the app but no more. Now the app just says "Heating". It's definitely been cold enough, in the 20s. Frustrating when you've got a couple of inches of snow that haven't moved after 10 minutes of pre-heating. I typically keep my wipers set to manual as well. Currently on 2018.42.3

I've seen other people post their screen shots showing both defrost icon in the app, as well as, "Defrosting."

See below from reddit poster on left. Mine on right
. A49A8B47-9E77-4CA2-A480-5B6DB96586F0.png05C02F6B-5502-4CA5-B36E-3368E63C96A6.png

Last edited:
Reactions: BobAbooey
I'm having the same issue lately. I feel like I was previously getting the defrost icon in the app but no more. Now the app just says "Heating". It's definitely been cold enough, in the 20s. Frustrating when you've got a couple of inches of snow that haven't moved after 10 minutes of pre-heating. I typically keep my wipers set to manual as well. Currently on 2018.42.3

I've seen other people post their screen shots showing both defrost icon in the app, as well as, "Defrosting."

. View attachment 358702View attachment 358701

Are ur wipers off by any chance?

Are ur wipers off by any chance?

Yes, I have them set to manual mode so off. I’ve heard gears can sometimes get ruined if in auto mode with snow covered windshield so I opted to use manual mode. Also prefer it in the rain honestly. Auto never seems to work well for me.

We are expecting snow again this evening and I toggled wipers back to auto so will see if that makes a difference. Beginning to wonder if it was the last software update that I got causing it. Awaiting next update that many seem to have gotten.

last night it was 25f outside and my back window is covered in frost. When preheating the car the auto defroster did not come on. The wipers were off from when I went to the car wash is that a possibility why the defroster did not come on? Do they maybe use the camera for rain drops to determine frost?

The front cameras are heated, so frost shouldn't build up on them.

Yes, I have them set to manual mode so off. I’ve heard gears can sometimes get ruined if in auto mode with snow covered windshield so I opted to use manual mode. Also prefer it in the rain honestly. Auto never seems to work well for me.

We are expecting snow again this evening and I toggled wipers back to auto so will see if that makes a difference. Beginning to wonder if it was the last software update that I got causing it. Awaiting next update that many seem to have gotten.

Coo
Not much snow overnight but you would think it still warrants defrost. Wipers on automatic but camera area clear due to light snowfall. Still no defrost when heating.

View attachment 358903 View attachment 358904

That sucks, Guess maybe I’ll give them a call.

Please let us know what they have to say if you happen to call.

I just called Tesla, dude put me on hold for over 20 minutes. He cannot find what was causing it not to turn on but he also believes it was with the last update and he submitted a ticket to whoever and he said it will probably be fixed with the next update.

48EE1938-589C-47F2-8290-69237E67D39D.png
E12C8616-E000-473E-BA88-A07514391D76.jpeg

I rebooted the screen and now this....

Attachments

• ACEDAE2B-E72F-4FBF-9F97-B4661E86EEF4.png
    ACEDAE2B-E72F-4FBF-9F97-B4661E86EEF4.png
    1,022.4 KB · Views: 124
Just thought I would revisit this thread.

As an FYI, when my car updated two days ago with 46.x, the problem of no defrost via app started again. Rebooted this morning and it seems fixed.

Perhaps a reboot is in order after each software update. Seems to be the case for me.

• Informative
Reactions: xpitxbullx