Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premature Tire Life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The OP has been absent from this thread for awhile now. I suspect either he is still in denial and stopped posting due to everyone pointing out the obvious or he accepted the fact that his kid lied to him regarding how he was driving the car.
If this thread were an M Night Shamaylan script:

The OP was really the teenager who trashed the car, here to test the viability of his planned explanation.
He's not posting anymore because his Dad didn't buy it...

If this thread were an M Night Shamaylan script:

The OP was really the teenager who trashed the car, here to test the viability of his planned explanation.
He's not posting anymore because his Dad didn't buy it...
Genius! My advice then is to adjust the rear toe all the way in (be careful not to scuff the bolts!). Unfortunately I think only the toe is adjustable, you want to have positive camber as well to get that type of wear. But if you can get a tire shop to swap the rear wheels from one side to the other you're golden!
Better yet, just swap your wheels with your sibling's Model 3.

I still can't figure out how a teenager could shred the tread off the tires in a car that can't spin its wheels....I could maybe understand if it was a front wheel drive car (where turning/acceleration forces are both applied to the front tires)

But in a rear-wheel drive car (that does not have the ability to break traction) --- how does one do donuts?

You all are accusing this kid for burning the rubber off his tires --- yet Tesla confirmed the traction control wasn't disabled, and there are people on this forum saying they can't burn the rubber, and I posted a video of a M3 trying to do donuts in the snow without success.....and bending the rim won't burn the tread off the tire.....

How did this kid burn the tread off his tires?? (without doing donuts or burnouts)

54d98a030bf5d0fc18a3dac54d44b618.jpg

I still can't figure out how a teenager could shred the tread off the tires in a car that can't spin its wheels....I could maybe understand if it was a front wheel drive car (where turning/acceleration forces are both applied to the front tires)

But in a rear-wheel drive car (that does not have the ability to break traction) --- how does one do donuts?

You all are accusing this kid for burning the rubber off his tires --- yet Tesla confirmed the traction control wasn't disabled, and there are people on this forum saying they can't burn the rubber, and I posted a video of a M3 trying to do donuts in the snow without success.....and bending the rim won't burn the tread off the tire.....

How did this kid burn the tread off his tires?? (without doing donuts or burnouts)
You can easily do donuts in a car much less powerful than the Model 3. When you turn the car leans to the outside tire taking weight off the inside tire. Observe: https://hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/videos/tesla-loop-2-1515775269.mp4 Notice that only the inside tire is spinning.
Like I said earlier in the thread you could also just take corners really fast. I can wear out a set of tires in a couple hundred miles driving around parking lot (autocross).

This thread made me go out and check my tires. 10,550 miles and my rear 19"s look like this:

View attachment 309866

I haven't even rotated them - the wear seems pretty even across.

Nice

Ah, but how are the inner edges holding up?

That said, and they’re probably fine at 11K miles, the more I hear about and see Continentals, the more I like them.

Are they quiet? Is the ride decent?

And lastly, please do tell - at what PSI do you keep them?

Nice

Ah, but how are the inner edges holding up?

That said, and they’re probably fine at 11K miles, the more I hear about and see Continentals, the more I like them.

Are they quiet? Is the ride decent?

And lastly, please do tell - at what PSI do you keep them?

I do like the continentals. Ride and road noise seems decent. I will probably buy another set when the time comes. I haven’t looked at my inner edges in a while, but I am due to take it in for the annual service soon.

Embarrassingly, I don’t keep real good track of my psi like I should. So I am not running anything higher or lower than the recommended on purpose or anything.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I do like the continentals. Ride and road noise seems decent. I will probably buy another set when the time comes. I haven’t looked at my inner edges in a while, but I am due to take it in for the annual service soon.

Embarrassingly, I don’t keep real good track of my psi like I should. So I am not running anything higher or lower than the recommended on purpose or anything.
There’s a reason Continental tires have been on Rolls Royces for years:)

Reminds me when I was 16-17 and drove the family F150 Econoline van as my main vehicle for transportation.

The old man came home one day after taking it to a tire shop >>> "Tire guy asked me, 'Who's been driving this thing? Mario Andretti?'" :oops:

Guilty as charged

OK - try this one out - new M3 - delivered today - drove 240 miles home with this kind of rubber on the wheel wells. no crazy driving - dry day. only really noticed due to white car color. No handling problems or indication of alignment issue when driving

Attachments

• IMG_3797.JPG
    IMG_3797.JPG
    306.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3795.JPG
    IMG_3795.JPG
    356.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3796.JPG
    IMG_3796.JPG
    316 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3798.JPG
    IMG_3798.JPG
    316.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
OK - try this one out - new M3 - delivered today - drove 240 miles home with this kind of rubber on the wheel wells. no crazy driving - dry day. only really noticed due to white car color. No handling problems or indication of alignment issue when driving
Probably just dirt on the road. haha.
If you're worried about it get a tread depth gauge and monitor it. You should be able to catch any alignment problems before they destroy your tires.

Reactions: DR61
Are you implying that the residue is coming from the black material that's lining the wheel wells? I was referring to the Black lining.
I am thinking the black residue is from the tire getting chewed up while driving. I want to be wrong, trust me
I just took some residue, light powdery, and held a lighter to it, smelled like burning rubber. :-( reaching out to Tesla

Last edited: