Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premature Tire Life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking the black residue is from the tire getting chewed up while driving. I want to be wrong, trust me
I just took some residue, light powdery, and held a lighter to it, smelled like burning rubber. :-( reaching out to Tesla
Interesting... I also have a white car, and ive noticed a lot of black “dust” behind my wheels and on the back of my car, in general. I’ve always owner darker cars, so chalked it up to just road dust/debris.

Wonder if there’s more to it

Black, soft, as in no grit , smelled like rubber (I used to work in a tire mfg plant, kinda know what they smell like).
What would you think it was? dry sunny day - mid 80's - no fresh pavement/blacktop. not sure what else it would be.
Am open to opinions - thanks for the question
OK for anyone following my issue from yesterday - here is the latest theory: it is rubber, but from the sidewalls, that were drenched with "tire black" as part of the detailing for delivery. This is supported by my observing upon first seeing the car that the tires had a liberal treatment with that stuff. Spinning tire carrying some surface rubber to the wells. in addition there was splash/spray mark, visible in the pictures. As well as the car tracking fine while driving. I wiped them down and lots of black came off. So will monitor on next trip - this Friday. I am hopeful this is the explanation.

Reactions: Daniel in SD
OK for anyone following my issue from yesterday - here is the latest theory: it is rubber, but from the sidewalls, that were drenched with "tire black" as part of the detailing for delivery. This is supported by my observing upon first seeing the car that the tires had a liberal treatment with that stuff. Spinning tire carrying some surface rubber to the wells. in addition there was splash/spray mark, visible in the pictures. As well as the car tracking fine while driving. I wiped them down and lots of black came off. So will monitor on next trip - this Friday. I am hopeful this is the explanation.

Picked up my car 6/1 and also saw this. Haven't seen it since the first few days of driving. It's either a coating on the tires from manufacturing or the detailing product.

Is your son Takumi Fujiwara?

Attachments

• giphy (12).gif
    giphy (12).gif
    2.2 MB · Views: 166
  • Funny
Reactions: wenkan and Fusion
There is already negative camber in the rear. Acceleration is going to only increase that a bit more. The would give the inside wall greater wear and it does happen. I have seen this on some AMG mercedes with the s..t Pirelli run flats they often put on. If they go 10K you're WAY ahead of the curve.

This seems maybe like a bit of a setup issue PLUS a driving issue. I tend to check my tires when I fill up the car (with gas) but now with an electric i'll have to create a new protocol. ;-)

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
My teenager blew a tire (19 inch rims) a couple of days ago in his Model 3. When it happened, it cracked the rim. The car has 3,900 miles on it and both rear tires were worn to the steel but only on the outside edges, which is where the tire failed. I hadn’t noticed it and obviously he hadn’t either. When this happened he happened to be right near a tire place, so we left it there. The next day they called and asked if it was under warranty. Of course, it is. They said that the car was severely out of alignment and that this should be a warranty issue. They also told us that there’s no way and no how that the tires could be that worn out that quickly in any other way, except according to Tesla. They pulled the logs and said there were “bouts” of hard acceleration. Yeah, fine. It’s a Model 3 being driven in South Florida traffic! Not like it’s happening every single time as it’s impossible to not be behind people most of the time. The bottom line is that Tesla has offered to take a few bucks off of the alignment, but nothing else. They’re saying that it’s 100% the driving that wore the tires out, which given that they were to the steel belts, must have been 2,500-3,000 that they were actually worn out. I call BS, the tire shop says absolutely BS but I’m not sure what to do. My question, can anyone fathom how a tire could wear out that quickly on a 3 by simply driving it hard? I drive my S hard, m wife here X hard, but we always get 10-13k miles out of our tire, always. And our cars have a lot more power.
Someone is doing donuts in the school parking lot. I have a MS and 23 k for second tire set and 32K on the first set.
I do drive aggressively off the line but no burning rubber. .

Does anyone have the specifications for Model 3 2018 all wheel LR? I convinced my cousin to buy one. 13000 miles and she blew a rear tire. Firestone says car is out of alignment. In Charleston SC who can align the car?

I just had my tire rotation on my Sept16 Model 3 and my front tires are wearing uneven. The inside for both front tires is much lower than the backs, which seem to have even wear. The tire shop recommended that I get an alignment as something is off....

I have 4400 miles on my AWD M3 and had winter tires for most of the winter. My original tires have worn evenly, but I suspect are close to half tread. Elon, please don't pull my driving logs.

This discussion makes me want to get an alignment.