Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premature Tire Wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a message on my screen saying my rear tires are worn out. I have 14K miles on my 2022 MYP . Checked the rear tires and was shocked to see the amount of wear on it. Is this kinda wear normal ? After reading all the experience people are having with the Tesla Service Center, I am afraid to take it to them for checking the alignment or changing the tires. Does Discount tires do a good job to alignment check and replacing tires for Tesla MYP stock tires ? Tesla is a good car, but the service center experience is scary.

left_rear_tire.jpg
right_rear_tire.jpg

Looks like you need an alignment for sure but I don't believe Discount does them. How do the fronts compare? And did you ever rotate them? Can't really tell but it appears you'll need to replace the rears. Given the apparently uneven wear I doubt you'll get a prorated price on new ones. If it were me I'd get an alignment at Tesla then new tires at Discount and then be sure to rotate them every 5K or so going forward - probably the best you can do at this point IMO.

Reactions: AlexHung
That doesn't look good sorry to say. I had about half that on my 21s and still had 8/32 left. I swapped mine out for 19s.

Unfortunately MYP runs a staggered set and can't be rotated. I suppose you could swap them from side to side on the same axle.

Either way you need new tires and you will want to get a 4 wheel alignment before you have the tires replaced.

Yes, with a staggered setup all you can do is a side to side swap type rotation. I’ve had them before and recommend a square setup if planning to keep the car for the long haul. That or be prepared to eat the extra expense for tires.

The alignment will not help much from what I have read because the rear cambers are set a bit aggressively causing the inner tire wear; more apparent on Performance models.

If you get adjustable rear camber arms, that will be able to resolve it by being able to set it to have less negative camber to get the idea tire wear a driver would expect for general street use. The way it is currently from factory is that, it likely good for track use, at the expensive of tire wear.

This thread here mentions about it.

That doesn't look good sorry to say. I had about half that on my 21s and still had 8/32 left. I swapped mine out for 19s.

Unfortunately MYP runs a staggered set and can't be rotated. I suppose you could swap them from side to side on the same axle.

Either way you need new tires and you will want to get a 4 wheel alignment before you have the tires replaced.
When you swapped yours to 19 did you notice any ride differences. I also read that these Tesla tires are special tires and need foam ones, etc.

When you swapped yours to 19 did you notice any ride differences. I also read that these Tesla tires are special tires and need foam ones, etc.
Yes I made a video on it. It's a much more comfortable ride, car seems more responsive, the P model will still have more NVH than the LR. If I had it to do over I would have gone with another LR and done the boost.

Foam is not required but Tesla OE tires all have acoustic foam inside which is supposed to make for a quieter ride.

Normal wear. Especially if you accelerate moderately fast from stoplights.

Your toe *might* be set poorly, but that's not likely the main cause of the wear. Factory rear camber is aggressive and causing the inside of the tread to wear quicker than the outside. Non-adjustable. I don't see any cupping on the tread, which would indicate a toe issue.

I'm sure an alignment can improve things, but it's possible it won't do much.

Service center alignments and tires are extremely expensive. Find a third party shop that has the weight-ballast bags required for Tesla alignment and you should be good. (Most shops should have this, Lexus and many other mfr's require it too) I think it needs 40-60lbs in each front seat in order to do the alignment properly per Tesla specs. Don't quote me on that though, it's been awhile.

Approximately related question. I'm picking up a new Fremont ModY LR on Tuesday. My 2019 Model 3 came from the factory out of alignment (which I did not catch for a while). Can I expect new cars from Fremont to be better now or should I expect to need an alignment?
Hit or miss. If you want the peace of mind, I'd get it aligned ASAP if you don't mind spending the money. I've experienced bad factory alignments more than a few times from Tesla, as have my friends. (Pulling to the left immediately after delivery...etc.)

On my Model 3, alignment was perfect, though. *shrug*

Reactions: Venturer