TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Vendor Premium Audio Package by Light Harmonic for Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by LightHarmonic, Jun 3, 2016.

1. LightHarmonic

LightHarmonic Vendor

With Model 3 just around the corner,

We want to begin testing the waters and see who would be interested in upgrading their Audio system.
    We have two Premium systems for Model S and want to have your Model 3 to sound just as good as the S.
    Any good ideas here would greatly help and if you would like the latest updates please subscribe to the newsletter at lightharmonic.com/tesla

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

• Like x 3
  2. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Ideas? You have no idea what the Model 3's audio system will be so you can't engineer an upgrade yet. You have no way of testing the frequency response. You don't know what the quality of the components will be. Until you get a car in your hands there is no work to be done - and that isn't just around the corner, it's most likely still 18 months at the very earliest.

• Like x 5
    • Dislike x 2
  3. Xaff

Xaff Member

I am very interested. My current car has a high end audio system installed and I am worried that it will reduce too much range due to wattage and weight and also take up too much space. So a system specifically designed for the Model 3 is definitely a want.

• Like x 1
  4. Chewy3

Chewy3 If MacGvyer had a beard

I will likely only upgrade if the Model 3 does not have a subwoofer - nothing huge, just enough to give it some bass to round out the highs

• Like x 1
  5. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

I'd be interested if they didn't offer a decent stock system. For me, Tesla's system doesn't have to be anything better than BMW's Logic 7. If it can't at least match that then will be seeking upgrade options.

6. CoastalCruiser

Hello. Not sure how official or unofficial your request is. And taking your word for the moment that you will be involved with M3 sound system....

Having said that, the answer is YES. An upgraded sound system is probably item 3 on my options checklist.

What I will be looking for -besides great sound- is a price point that is not so high that I would be better off having a 3rd party do the work. IOW, I would love a factory upgrade with a price keeping with what I pay the guys down the street to add later. ;>

7. Chewy3

Light Harmonic is an aftermarket company - this would not be a factory option.

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. CoastalCruiser

Oh. Never mind.

/Emily Litella

• Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
  9. Colsla

Colsla Member

I don't remember where i read it but basically your sound system would have to be on at full 11 volume for hours before it actually affects your range in any noticeable way..

10. Chewy3

Audio systems power is rated at peak Wattage, it is not going to be running at that power constantly:

200watt system (normal for stock stereos) example:
    FULL volume, it will only hit 200watts on the heaviest hitting parts of the music (usually bass as subs require more power)
    Normal volume, spiking at around 100watts, but average power consumption will actually be much less.

If your 200watt sound system was at a constant MAX power consumption (this doesn't even happen) it would take 5 hours to use 1KWh

Someone with more experience can probably provide more precise numbers including actual product specs with peak & RMS wattage. Either way I would NOT worry about it affecting range.

11. Tes LA

Tes LA

#11 Tes LA, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    I've heard great things about Light Harmonic. I've actually been on your email list for a couple of months now. Being doing a lot of reading on these forums re: Tesla Sound System and most people don't seem to be overly impressed with the stock system, even if the high fidelity option was purchased. I think I'd much rather deal with an aftermarket sound company.

Tesla is obviously a highly innovative company, but sound systems aren't their thing. I have an associate who actually owns a Model S and if memory serves correct he has the high fidelity installed. I don't remember being impressed either way but it's certainly not worth 3 stacks. No way.

I'll be weighing my options but of course Tesla could theoretically knock it out of the park. I don't expect it, but it's certainly possible. The plan now is to keep the system stock on delivery and then weigh my options from there. As long as it's a clean install and tuned correctly I'm all in.

• Like x 1
  12. CarlitoDoc

CarlitoDoc Member

Mmm, interesting! However I would like hear what an "upgraded" Audio System sounds like.

13. HanSolo

HanSolo Member

It all depends on how expensive the factory upgraded audio system is and how good it sounds. Once that has been evaluated, then how good your system is for the price would be my concern. I am an audiophile and would hope that the Model 3 will have an upgrade option that can match the Revel and other high end systems in other cars such as Lincoln.

14. Citizen

Citizen Member

thats exactly what ill be doing. seeing that this car will be so quite music should sound great!

15. Colsla

Colsla Member

If u r an audiophile I am willing to bet that the premium sound system in model 3 won't be good enough. It'd benefits the case for model s.
    Does light harmonic only operate in the US?

16. Booga

Booga Member

Give me a subwoofer that is discreetly placed and basically helps with the low end sounds. Given how small the trunk is, maybe try and find placement somewhere else, but if it has to be in the trunk, be as minimal as possible. I don't need to shake the street - my only goal would be to relieve the smaller speakers of sounds it clearly cannot produce.

17. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

The upgraded sound system on a Model S is $2500, so maybe it would be $1000-$1500 on the Model ≡. For that price, I would expect the same type of enhancements - more speakers, better amp and add a sub. I don't care about XM personally.
    If I were to forego the factory upgrade in lieu of an after-market purchase, I'd want more value for my money (or less money for a comparable upgrade). I don't know whether the additional speaker pods would exist in cars that weren't ordered with the factory upgrade, and that would be a concern to me (an aftermarket shop cutting new holes for additional speakers). Further, any aftermarket work/equipment is not covered under factory warranty, and I would be cautious about creating any opportunity where Tesla could tell me they won't cover a repair because of an aftermarket item's involvement in the problem. I suspect that after-market speakers are of a better quality than factory speakers OTOH. Proximity is also a consideration. Are Light Harmonic's products widely available in the US? I've never heard of them, but I've been out of the audiophile game for about 10 years.

• Informative x 1
  18. AlanJ

AlanJ New Member

Put the subwoofer in the frunk! Having it in front will improve the soundstage, methinks.

19. palmer_md

palmer_md Member

I would think you should first get all the Model S customers their product and get some good reviews on it (here on this forum) before embarking on a campaign for a car that is still 18 months away from volume production.

• Like x 2
  20. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

Marginally. Bass is omnidirectional, so it sounds generally the same from any direction. Whereas mids and highs are much more unidirectional and contribute much more to the soundstage.