TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Vendor Premium Audio System for Tesla Model S by Light Harmonic

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by LightHarmonic, Oct 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LightHarmonic

LightHarmonic Vendor

This thread is a continuation of our previous thread titled, "Model S Premium Audio System: How To Videos." After 14 pages of interaction, the subject matter has definitely expanded beyond just the how-to videos. :)

If you're new to our Premium Audio System for Tesla Model S project (see http://lightharmonic.com/tesla), a perusal of the previous thread is probably a good idea.

2. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

I'm interested in this project. More details about the speakers are holding me back from pre-ordering.

I usually listen to music at 9-10, and rarely at 11.

3. EMdoc12

EMdoc12 Member

Its too bad you don't have a solution like this for people with the standard audio. With as bad as it reportedly is it seems stupid to have to purchase it just for the harness.

4. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

I agree, I bought the standard audio system because i'd rather have spent the extra money on an upgraded system. Any chance of something for us?

5. jimtelsa

jimtelsa Member

#5 jimtelsa, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    they bury the fact that the premium system is required.

would like a standard system upgrade

6. KSahck

KSahck Member

Also waiting for a standard system upgrade.

7. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

#7 Andyw2100, Oct 6, 2015
    They say it pretty clearly on the main page, in the "System Requirements" section. I wouldn't call that "burying" it.

In the thread they talk about working on a system to upgrade the standard system in the future.

8. liuping

liuping Active Member

Maybe we need a poll on how many people with standard audio system would be interested in an upgrade?

I suspect it's a pretty large number. I think many people skipped the premium audio since it was over price for the improvement it made.

9. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Could also affect people buying cars now not to buy the upgraded audio and go after-market if they know what the options and prices are.

10. jak

jak Member

TBH, I think a LOT of people with the standard audio system would want to get an upgrade of some sort. But the reality is they developed the upgrade for premium because that's the only car they had at the time with the owner willing to let them tear it apart to see how they could improve the audio. I guess they're going to have to gauge interest via some sort of poll as to how many want an upgrade and what kind of car they have (i.e. standard or premium) with someone willing to let them tear apart a 'standard audio' car.

11. LightHarmonic

LightHarmonic Vendor

Yes, I think a poll is in order. Let's find out what the interest in level is in going from a standard package to our aftermarket premium package. Jak - can you do this for us? I'm not sure how to do it myself.

We're more than willing to do a system for owners who are starting with a standard audio package. But keep in mind that we'll need a lot of extra time. We've already been working on this one for over a year, which means we'll need about a year from the time we have a car with a standard package to tear apart. As was said earlier, we bought our car with the premium package, so that's why we went the direction we did.

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously, if there's anyone close by who would loan us their car for two days for us to tear down, measure, and then put back together, we could get started as soon as this weekend. Please PM me if you are or know such a person. :)

12. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

What is the TIMD rating on these amps?

13. LightHarmonic

LightHarmonic Vendor

I really appreciate this feedback. I've included specs about the speaker drivers in the content at http://lightharmonic.com/tesla. What other information would you like me to provide to you?

- - - Updated - - -

Larry is at a conference right now, so I won't be able to get an answer to this question until tomorrow. In general, his amplifier circuits present very good intermodulation distortion numbers because the transients are so fast (slew rate on these amps is 50V/us). I've emailed him the question and will post his answer as soon as he gets back to me.

14. llavalle

llavalle Member

Somewhere around Montreal in Quebec, Canada
    Just made deposit for the Model 12 ;)

For me : around 8-10. But I noticed that depending on the source, the volume is not at all the same. When listening to FLAC files from the USB, I tend to have to put the volume higher(in the 10 zone).

Quick question : I remember reading that a in a recent update, they updated the "audio codecs" of the car. Could be from one source to the head unit but to make sure : does the stock amp supports updates? i.e. Can a software update on the car push a new firmware on the stock amp or is it simply "dump" in a sense that it receives a digital audio signal, push it though a DAC and amplifies it?

Thanks!

15. GregTexas

GregTexas Member

If I lived nearby I'd take you up on this. I think this market is much larger for the standard audio owners since the others have already paid a premium for premium.

16. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

#16 shokunin, Oct 6, 2015
    It's a dump, the head unit would need to be able to decode the different codecs from lossless or compressed back to wav then perform any DSP digital equalization / crossovers before sending the digital signal via i2s to the Analog Devices AD1933 DAC (according to Light Harmonics) that is on the internal amplifier board in the head unit. The head unit software or a DSP chip is modifying the signal before sending it to the DAC.

The DAC just takes the digital signal and sends it to the amplifiers. I think the DAC itself might only support up to 192/24bit files but am not sure.

I have both standard and upgraded sound and the standard one is woefully inadequate, it's very anemic, midrange is thin, highs are thin, lacks any body in voices, etc etc..

If an option to upgrade the standard sound system is developed, that would affect future buyers (as well as current owners) as they would opt out of the $2500 upgrade from Tesla and put those funds into an aftermarket system.

17. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

I'd like a video comparison between the Tesla & Light Harmonic drivers like you did with the amps.

18. jimtelsa

jimtelsa Member

I guess bury is a little too much

But i got all pumped reading the top part to get down to the bottom and find.....no soup for you

Count me in for an aftermarket upgrade to my base system

19. LightHarmonic

LightHarmonic Vendor

We'll do that when Larry gets back from his conference,

I heard back from Larry on this. We haven't done TIMD tests on the amp yet, just IMD.

IMD: 0.005
    SMTPE: 60Hz to 7kHz, 4:1 ratio

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, DAC supports up to 24/192.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, Jim. Didn't mean to make you feel that way.

20. jak

jak Member

Unfortunately, only sponsors can create polls or new threads in the "Sponsored" section.

You can only create a poll by creating a new thread. You can read how to do it here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.