Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Center Console questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some links for reference:
Tesla's product page
A P85D owner's description with pictures

I still have some questions:
Is the only covered part of the console the forward portion containing the cup holders, with an uncovered rear storage phone dock and storage area?
Or is the rear portion covered by what Tesla describes as, "Flip-up top with rubber grips"? Where is that in any of the pictures? Where does it flip up to?

I'm a new Tesla P85D owner as of this week and while I love Insane Mode... It's a little insane that there is no place to trap/lock/store my daily stuff such as iPhone, Wallet, Sunglasses, Gum, Keys, etc...

ie: No Driver side or passenger side door storage, no center console storage... just the bottom center console where stuff flies all over the place due to... INSANE MODE use. :)...

I was thinking I need to invest in some kind of solution to trap my daily stuff so that it doesn't go flying all over the car.

I don't have my Model S yet, but I picked up a center console used and the rear phone storage/dock area is covered too. You press it down and it swivels forward to open. Has a nice feel and look to it! I can take some pictures later and post them up if you'd like.

When it is open, it sort of blocks off the two "sections" and sits just behind the phone dock. The cover is the ridged plastic piece behind the USB dock in this photo:

tt5.jpg

Here are both covers in the closed position:

tt6.jpg

Just the back phone section open:

tt3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pictures! Yes, when you press down near the rear of the phone compartment lid it swivels forward and becomes sort of a dividing wall between the phone compartment and the cupholder area. The cupholders just sit in the grooves and can be easily pulled out for adjustment or extra storage space.

20150814_112250.jpg
20150814_112332.jpg

Nice pictures! Yes, when you press down near the rear of the phone compartment lid it swivels forward and becomes sort of a dividing wall between the phone compartment and the cupholder area. The cupholders just sit in the grooves and can be easily pulled out for adjustment or extra storage space.
Thanks! ...You seem to have either an uninstalled Premium Center Console without side panels, or are beta testing Tesla's Premium Marble Car Floor Surface.

Thanks! ...You seem to have either an uninstalled Premium Center Console without side panels, or are beta testing Tesla's Premium Marble Car Floor Surface.

Haha! Well some people have been complaining about the interior quality of the Model S... maybe this'll get them to change their minds. The range penalty from the added weight is killer though :wink:

But seriously, I think that the center console is one of the most important options for the car. The armrest cupholders and lack of covered storage space in the cabin are the main downsides of the Model S, in my opinion.

Center Console

Tesla's product page

Is the only covered part of the console the forward portion containing the cup holders, with an uncovered rear storage phone dock and storage area?
Or is the rear portion covered by what Tesla describes as, "Flip-up top with rubber grips"? Where is that in any of the pictures? Where does it flip up to?

The rear portion flips (rotates) up to expose the USB ports and/or optional iPhone charger. The front portion slides forward to expose the storage area. The cup holder(s) consist of four removable inserts that can be configured as one (with two of the inserts inserted) or two (with all four inserted) cup holders. I don't need cup holders so I removed all four of them to maximize storage space.

Thanks -- that helps a lot! I'm going to order one.

How tough would it be to completely remove the cup holders in case I want to trade unobstructed storage for beverage convenience?

We immediately removed 3 of the 4 cup holder plastic bars, left one to separate our four water bottles from the area in front, which contains a box for tissue, glasses, etc., etc. It works great! No mess! Covered! Efficient! I would not use the cupholders as shown.

Tried to find my picture, but no luck. I've posted it before, though, so it may be searchable.

Seems you may have already gotten the info you need. I have definitely enjoyed my center console. All of it can be covered, as others noted. I use both cup holders within the console - typically one for a water bottle and one to keep my J1772 adapter. I also like having both cup holders installed (meaning all 4 of the curved plastic pieces) because in the spaces towards the "outside" I have room to store a pen and other small items.
Tesla's product page

Silly question, but is the center console a tesla accessory or an aftermarket product?

The one pictured and being discussed is available in the Tesla store.

There are other third-party consoles, but many of us feel the Tesla console is the best looking one.

(Many of us also would have liked it if Tesla had fulfilled their promise to make them in finishes other than piano black, to match our cars' finishes, but that's discussed plenty in other threads.)

For now all you need to know is that the door is available only in Piano Black.

Haha! Well some people have been complaining about the interior quality of the Model S... maybe this'll get them to change their minds. The range penalty from the added weight is killer though :wink:

But seriously, I think that the center console is one of the most important options for the car. The armrest cupholders and lack of covered storage space in the cabin are the main downsides of the Model S, in my opinion.

Agreed. I'll be getting the CC when I order. Kid of hoping a redesign is in the works that offers all trim matching options, though. <Ducks behind cover...>