Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Center Console questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wound up having a wrap shop put a matte black wrap over the piano black that matches the rest of the console. Well worth the 20 bucks. I, too, couldn't stand that shiny black square. My interior is obeche gloss.

I love the look of that. Thanks for posting a picture. I think I'd rather do that than wrap in carbon fiber.

Not only does it not make you look nuts, but this has been discussed a lot.

First of all, some people, including AmpedRealtor, managed to get the console with black thread, to match his older interior. (He was also one of the lucky few who received the carbon fiber door.)

There are a few different ways people talked about dyeing the white thread. Some people talked about using shoe polish. I think others talked about using some sort of marker. You can definitely find posts about this, though.

I'll check that out. I never really read that thread, because the center console was out-of-stock during the thread and I figured it would just aggravate me. When they came back I read enough to catch up on the fact that they weren't ever going to ship them with the matching interior panels and moved on. I wanted the storage so much that I decided I was OK despite not having the matching finish.

I'll check that out. I never really read that thread, because the center console was out-of-stock during the thread and I figured it would just aggravate me.

I'm pretty sure the stuff I've read about dyeing has come from many different threads. I'd try search terms like "dyeing" and "shoe polish." I'm pretty sure I actually had found a post from some older thread at one point, and copied it into the thread on the rear console, for AmpedRealtor, and then additional discussion ensued. (I know that happened--I'm just not 100% certain that it was the rear console thread.)

Good luck!

Edit: It was the thread on the rear console: Premium Rear Console - Page 7

Last edited:
I ordered the premium center console that was installed prior to delivery. My interior is grey so I figured the black contrast leather would look good and it does. The trim in the car is carbon fiber. When I was having the Xpel wrap put on yesterday, I asked the installer where he got the carbon fiber wrap he used on his tool boxes. It actually had texture to it. He found a scrap piece and cut it to fit and installed it ($15) and it looks perfect. Not much to say about the sturdiness of the console (sliding doors) but it looks good.

I ordered the premium center console that was installed prior to delivery. My interior is grey so I figured the black contrast leather would look good and it does. The trim in the car is carbon fiber. When I was having the Xpel wrap put on yesterday, I asked the installer where he got the carbon fiber wrap he used on his tool boxes. It actually had texture to it. He found a scrap piece and cut it to fit and installed it ($15) and it looks perfect. Not much to say about the sturdiness of the console (sliding doors) but it looks good.

Yes, the contrast of the leather with grey seats looks fine. All the cars have some leather on the dash that matches the leather on the console. All Tesla had to do to at least somewhat satisfy those of us with mismatched consoles is produce the piece that is currently available in Piano Black, that was to be produced in the three other finishes, in the same finish as the sliding doors--that black leather. It would then at least match the rest of the console. I wouldn't be as happy as I would be to get one that had the originally promised obeche matte finish, but at least it would look correct.

I may try to get mine wrapped to try to imitate that look, if I can find a place to do that, but I shouldn't have to, and that will be an imitation. We shouldn't have to settle for that.

I'm glad you were able to get yours wrapped in carbon fiber to match your dash.