Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity $9.99/month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received the email this morning that my day of free live maps, music, and the rest of the premium connectivity suite is ending 12/31/19; knew this was coming and sort of remembered seeing something on my screen that mentioned a subscription fee would be charged.
It didn’t seem fair- just like I was a Day 1 down payment subscriber who “lost” their place in line to everyone who was willing to purchase a premium model Model 3.
My Model 3 DM is still a nice ride but like 98% of us here, probably do not agree with this Musk move.. My 2917 Lexus Hybrid has a similar subscription offer for their “infotainment” system..
oops- 2017 Lexus I meant (however, Tesla's technology is much more advanced and less expensive...)

There is no doubt that the acceleration of Model 3 sales in 2019, becoming almost 1/4 of all Tesla's sold, put enough pressure on the bandwidth used to force Tesla to try to recover some of this cost. I remember reading a disclaimer that some of the connectivity features were free for a trial period only. Personally, I will pay for the subscription when my expires, but I don't like satellite view, get my traffic from Waze and listen to music from my phone. I don't really watch the entertainment options as I am rarely at a supercharger. So I could live without it or use my hotspot when necessary.
I'm confused by your sentence (structure). You're going to pay the $10/mo., even though you don't like or use its features and will likely use your hotspot?

Well... Got hit with this BS today... While I decide whether it's worth it or not to get my lawyer involved, I've decided the easiest way to offset this illegal and bogus fee is to stop charging at home. Permanently. I have a supercharger within 5 min of my house, so from now on, I'll only charge there and take advantage of the free lifetime supercharging I got with my car. Tesla will end up spending wayyyyyy more on electricity than they're going to gain from my $10 per month. Already shut off the breaker to my Tesla HPWC so prevent accidental plugins. My wife is retired and is just as pissed about this as I am and has no problem taking the X over once a week or so and charging up. Not really concerned with the battery throttling issues I'll encounter when I hit the secret "too much supercharging" counter as we rarely take long trips with the X so the additional supercharging time won't really impact us.

Jeff

• Disagree
Reactions: Ocelot and Puddles
Well... Got hit with this BS today... While I decide whether it's worth it or not to get my lawyer involved, I've decided the easiest way to offset this illegal and bogus fee is to stop charging at home. Permanently. I have a supercharger within 5 min of my house, so from now on, I'll only charge there and take advantage of the free lifetime supercharging I got with my car. Tesla will end up spending wayyyyyy more on electricity than they're going to gain from my $10 per month. Already shut off the breaker to my Tesla HPWC so prevent accidental plugins. My wife is retired and is just as pissed about this as I am and has no problem taking the X over once a week or so and charging up. Not really concerned with the battery throttling issues I'll encounter when I hit the secret "too much supercharging" counter as we rarely take long trips with the X so the additional supercharging time won't really impact us.

Jeff
What does your account page show? Mine shows free for my model s and 3.

I ordered our Model 3 one day after the cut off, and knew exactly what I was getting into.

The $10/month is not a huge charge considering what it comes with. Do you really think that Tesla does not have to pay for the API calls for Traffic, imagery, etc, let alone the AT&T data charges?