Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium connectivity, and other questions about my new Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for my silly question. Just got my M3 2011 from Carmax yesterday and it has premium connectivity expiring Oct 17. What would I lose if I don’t renew it?

Also the software update preference. Shall I change to Advamced?

Is it advisable to turn on Sentry Mode?

Do you turn on “pin to drive”? In the safety section?

If my wife download the Tesla app on her phone does that mean she has to log on to Tesla account I created using my log in credentials to drive the car or she has to create her own account?

Sorry for so many questions and I am sure there is more. It’s a completely new experience and a steep learning curve for me.

Thanks in advance.

Take a deep breath (lol)... slow down just a bit. First, read through that manual that I linked for you in the other thread you started, probably a couple times. There is a lot to learn, but the tesla manual has a ton of really good information in there.

I will take a stab at some of your questions but remember you are asking some things that are opinions.

1. Should I change the software update to advanced?

A. Thats a personal choice that no one is even sure makes any difference in the frequency of updates. Given how new the car is to you, I would suggest you leave it set however it is, and proceed with reading the manual first before worrying about software update settings.

2. Do I turn on Pin to drive in Safety settings?
A. Up to you, since it sounds like you dont have a garage, many people in that situation turn it on. Its kind of like asking "should i lock my garage door?" or something. Depends on your personal circumstances, desire, etc. It wont hurt anything, but will make getting the car going every day have an additional step.

3.Does my wife need her own account or can she use mine?
A. Its possible to share an account, and its also possible to have multiple people have their own accounts and drive the car. You can read through this thread / explanation I created on the topic. Its out of date as far as steps, as right now, you add additional drivers using the tesla app, but the information will get you started:

4. Do I use sentry mode?
A. Probably not, because from your other post you dont have home charging and are unsure how to charge your car. Sentry mode will use approximately 1-2 miles of range PER HOUR, just sitting there, because your car will not sleep. Roughly 20-30 miles lost PER DAY. The very people who think they want to use sentry mode all the time (those that park outside without home charging), are the people who shouldnt use it unless they have access to charging somewhere else.

5. What comes with premium connectivity?
A. See the tesla website here for the subject

• Helpful
Reactions: Carolina Karl
Premium connectivity is for streaming services, advanced maps but isn't necessary if you hotspot your phone as the means of connectivity. Software preference is up to you. I use pin to drive but again, up to you. If you want her to use her phone as a key you would need to set it up through the car. My best advice is to watch Youtube videos on how to operate the car, plenty of them.