Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity and Spotify

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A wee ago on my Tesla 3 I signed up for Spotify . I could not listen to music. I then signed up for Premium Connectivity, and I can now listen to Spotify. HOWEVER, I am paying for two monthly subscriptions. This seems expensive to me. Have I done something wrong? Thanks.

No you have not done anything wrong. Check out Teslas page on connectivity. But I would recommend to just connect your phone to your tesla via bluetooth and use your spotify from your phone. Works great for most.

• Informative
Reactions: Jedisparky
Upvote 0
Coming from a Vette and a Volt where the OnStar® subscription was $30Cdn/month, the Tesla premium connectivity is a bargain. Plus I can watch Disney+® or Netflix® when I’m waiting for Bonnie to do her shopping. You also get map traffic, etc. And Yes I know our phones will do all that, but still not Apple CarPlay.

$99/year for the Premium Connectivity is money incredibly well spent. I never realized just how much I use it until I rented a Tesla without it. The entire experience just lost so much. I HAPPILY pay $100/year just for the satellite-map view alone.

Upvote 0
$99/year for the Premium Connectivity is money incredibly well spent. I never realized just how much I use it until I rented a Tesla without it. The entire experience just lost so much. I HAPPILY pay $100/year just for the satellite-map view alone.
I as well think it is a good value.
I just wish I could have the choice to use my preferred music subscription rather than having subscribe to another not of my choosing.

Upvote 0
I have a Spotify Paid subscription that I use in my home office while working and in the car.

Whatever I’m on the the laptop pauses when the car starts and I then finish playing right where I left off.

The Tesla Premium subscription gives you streaming music; but not Spotify, as far as I know.

I don’t think yoy need Tesla Premium to use Spotify but I’m not sure of that.

Upvote 0
If your looking at the spinning wheel trying to connect to spotify....
- Reset with factory reset in the menu,
- change the language once and back
- This worked in my case, as since the last update of november 2022 Spotify would not connect anymore (model S - 2013 - life time premium connect)

Upvote 0
I got my model 3 Dec 2020 and up to fall 2022 I could listen to spotify without premium connectivity using my phone as hotspot. Then it suddenly changed. Now I need to have the premium subscription for listening Spotify, or then subscribe to personal Spotify account I can listen via hotspot.

So actually there was free premium account once I bought the car, also mentioned in the sales material, but then Tesla just took this away from me. The weirdest part for me is that I cannot find anyone else who is bothered by this...

Upvote 0
I got my model 3 Dec 2020 and up to fall 2022 I could listen to spotify without premium connectivity using my phone as hotspot. Then it suddenly changed. Now I need to have the premium subscription for listening Spotify, or then subscribe to personal Spotify account I can listen via hotspot.

So actually there was free premium account once I bought the car, also mentioned in the sales material, but then Tesla just took this away from me. The weirdest part for me is that I cannot find anyone else who is bothered by this...

In the US there was never any spotify without premium connectivity. I have read in some other territories it might be different. You can still stream from your phone via bluetooth, so perhaps thats why you cant find anyone bothered by it. The cars spotify interface is barely passable.

Upvote 0
I just feel it's 2022 and I'm not going drive daily in a car where I can't change an artist or playlist while driving because I'm using prehistoric bluetooth connectivity that allows only cassette tape PLAY, FF, REW control. At least the premium connectivity makes the infotainment system interaction modern compared to the rudimentary bluetooth controls.

Upvote 0