Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium connectivity bypass with hotspot on phone

Marcacer

Nov 15, 2019
Beek LB
My premium connectivity stopped after one year, now i setup the hotspot of the phone to provide WIFI connection, which should enable most premium settings via your phone ( endless mobile data anyway ).

Most things work ( like Netflix and Spotify and also at higher quality than before ), however the standard google maps, remains standard ( no satellite pictures and traffic via the WIFI connection ). Did anyone find a workaround to make that work, Since i have a heavy data connection already via the phone i hate to pay for another data connection for my tesla if i do not really need it.

Any tip is welcome !

Noodles

Jul 22, 2020
Torrance, California
That's the modern problem, everyone wants you to pay for their service and you end up paying multiple times over for a service you already had somewhere else. Vent over

As for "bypass" hard to say it's possible. Elon always puts hackathons and large payout to anyone who can break things through code.
What you stumbled across is the go to way as far as I am aware. Sorry for not offering much help. Hopefully other users can

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
There isnt any way that I have read to make the maps on screen display the data that tesla specifically says "comes with premium connectivity" when you dont have premium connectivity.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier

Gasaraki

Oct 21, 2019
Syracuse, NY
Look, I wish the $10 per month cost offered more, like hotspotting for my passengers, sentry mode snapshots sent to my phone, etc. But if the current offerings for $10 a month is not good enough to pay for, you should't try to get the features for free. Other people actually pay for that.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev and Bloomj

Bloomj

Jun 8, 2019
South Carolina
Any tricks to using a hotspot connection easily? Every time I get in the car I have to first turn on my phone hotspot, turn on the cars WiFi, then put in the WiFi hotspot password. Is there a way to automate the process? Typically I don’t bother, it’s a hassle. I’m using an iPhone, btw.

subieworx

May 29, 2020
ohio
Any tricks to using a hotspot connection easily? Every time I get in the car I have to first turn on my phone hotspot, turn on the cars WiFi, then put in the WiFi hotspot password. Is there a way to automate the process? Typically I don’t bother, it’s a hassle. I’m using an iPhone, btw.
You could automate the hotspot process using Siri shortcuts to turn on when it connects to the car's bluetooth system. You will still have to tell the car manually to connect to it though as I understand.

sa012

Nov 7, 2019
Central CT
You could automate the hotspot process using Siri shortcuts to turn on when it connects to the car's bluetooth system. You will still have to tell the car manually to connect to it though as I understand.

Could you possible help me set this up? I tried doing internet search and YouTube but can't find anything.

Thx.

MostlyHappy

Jan 11, 2020
UK
That's the modern problem, everyone wants you to pay for their service and you end up paying multiple times over for a service you already had somewhere else. Vent over

As for "bypass" hard to say it's possible. Elon always puts hackathons and large payout to anyone who can break things through code.
What you stumbled across is the go to way as far as I am aware. Sorry for not offering much help. Hopefully other users can

I have the opposite problem. My traffic visualisation mysteriously stopped working back in March. I booked a service visit to see if I could get it back but the techs told me I was getting everything I should - seems like I was fobbed off. What with lock down I kind of forgot about but now I am being asked to pay for something that does not work. Anybody else experience anything similar and managed to fix it?

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
I have the opposite problem. My traffic visualisation mysteriously stopped working back in March. I booked a service visit to see if I could get it back but the techs told me I was getting everything I should - seems like I was fobbed off. What with lock down I kind of forgot about but now I am being asked to pay for something that does not work. Anybody else experience anything similar and managed to fix it?

There is a button to turn that off and on, on the screen (if you have premium connectivity).

sa012

Nov 7, 2019
Central CT
Has anyone had any issues recently with connecting their iphone hotspot to the M3?. The phone and car won't stay connected. It will keep connecting/disconnecting every so often. I haven't used it recently but not sure if it has to do with one of the new Tesla software updates or maybe a iphone update?

lacerte73

Dec 13, 2020
langley
my phone hotspot does not work at all anymore..i use to stream music on my tesla by using mobile hotspot but for some reason it completely wont work with music 2 days ago..what happened and anyone in here know how i can fix this.. i like my uninterrupted music

Prof

Jan 6, 2020
Florida
You could try Tesla Waze for traffic. When connected to your hotspot search for Tesla Waze on the browser and bookmark the page after you connect to it. That should give you most of the features of Waze.

Marcacer

Nov 15, 2019
Beek LB
Thanks Prof, i will try that one, also the siri shortcuts trick will help , since i always have to turn the hotspot on and off. Wish there was a tesla shortcuts too..

ochompsky

Oct 26, 2020
md
You could try Tesla Waze for traffic. When connected to your hotspot search for Tesla Waze on the browser and bookmark the page after you connect to it. That should give you most of the features of Waze.

does it warn you of speed traps/cops?

Prof

Jan 6, 2020
Florida
Waze is a phone app for Android or iPhone. It is not app that works on a web browser. Fortunately, someone wrote a browser app that takes most of the functionality of the Waze phone app and lets it run on the Tesla browser. Search TMC for Waze to get more info.

Reactions: david1701

Kevy Baby

Dis-Member
Aug 11, 2019
Brea, CA
Hi, sorry for jumping in like this, just bought my MS, getting used to it, I’ve used Waze in the past and liked it, what’s Tesla Waze pls ?
Enter the URL below into your Tesla browser and save as a favorite. However, I still use Waze on my phone: I found it to be easier.

teslawaze.azurewebsites.net

• Informative
Reactions: david1701

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC