Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not confused; you just don't listen. There's perfect AT&T reception where I live. My Ford vehicles use AT&T for the HotSpot Wi-Fi, and work perfectly. You can see those cars' Wi-Fi networks from my phone (I renamed them); you cannot see crap from the Tesla, because it doesn't have it, so it can't connect to the internet. I know it SHOULD work, but Tesla apparently stopped including hotspot wi-fi. That's the way it is. Will report what Tesla says, but expect it to be the same answer as a large store (Austin) manager said. End of this discussion for now folks.
As others have said, if your Tesla has LTE reception, you should be able to watch Netflix, Youtube, etc. on the Tesla's screen. There is no wi-fi hotspot functionality that would allow you to watch it on your personal tablet. Tesla has never offered a wi-fi hotspot.

We have done several road trips and always appreciate being able to watch videos while Supercharging. Last year we upgraded my 2017 S100D to add MCU2 and can now enjoy watching Netflix, Youtube, etc. in the S in addition to our Y and 3.

Hey guys, one more possible difference. I can't watch Netflix from my car because Tesla no longer offers internet connection (AT&T LTE) with premium connectivity, supposedly because everybody has unlimited data on their cellphones. Problem is it doesn't work with our phones as Wi-Fi hot-spot either (works perfectly when connected to my home Wi-Fi, however). A Tesla store manager told me that. I'm waiting for confirmation from Tesla HQ to see if he's correct. But occurred to me to ask here, although I'm not sure if 2020s still had that, but one of you can quickly answer that :). We're leaving on a long trip on Thursday, and it'd be great to be able to do that. Thx.

Hey guys, one more possible difference. I can't watch Netflix from my car because Tesla no longer offers internet connection (AT&T LTE) with premium connectivity, supposedly because everybody has unlimited data on their cellphones. Problem is it doesn't work with our phones as Wi-Fi hot-spot either (works perfectly when connected to my home Wi-Fi, however). A Tesla store manager told me that. I'm waiting for confirmation from Tesla HQ to see if he's correct. But occurred to me to ask here, although I'm not sure if 2020s still had that, but one of you can quickly answer that :). We're leaving on a long trip on Thursday, and it'd be great to be able to do that. Thx.

People have repeatedly told you that Premium Connectivity allows you to play Spotify and watch Netflix, assuming you have a Netflix subscription, while you are in Park anywhere that has AT&T coverage.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt

If the car didnt have a modem, streaming media of any type wouldnt work (like spotify which you said works), nor would navigation download maps, etc.

If it doesn't work with your phone's WiFi, It is probably not a problem with whether Tesla has AT&T LTE with premium connectivity subscriptions. It is possible that in your area that you tried, AT&T LTE is very slow. It is only fast enough to stream music but not video. However, it should work with your phone's hotspot, unless your carrier data is also too slow?

It also could be a software issue. Since middle December, I started having trouble even streaming Spotify on the road. The screen shows full bars signal but Spotify stopped. Also a few times I started Netflix at places that I knew working before, it just came up with a blank screen. I have not tried rebooting the MCU yet since everything else seems to be working. I will probably try that next time.

Stopped following my thread after not getting any help. But just solved the issue today. Tesla checked, and for some reason, LTE wasn't activated on my car, but it's working now. And now the manager said I understood wrong what he said, which was very clear to both myself and my wife: That Tesla removed the option for 2021 because everybody has unlimited data on their cell phones, so owners can use that instead. But the problem is Netflix doesn't work from the phone as hot-spot (as expected). So when a 2021 owner alerted me it worked on his 2021, I immediately started investigating how to talk to Tesla HQ. Not sure what happened, but glad it's resolved right before our long trip.

For anyone following along with this, the end result for this person was "there was a problem with the car".

I just quit premium connectivity because they shrunk the Map window on the M3. Whilst driving, it is harder to get a big picture of google traffic at a glance. That was half the reason I took up the paid subscription, after my free year expired. So dumb not to be able to take back screen real estate from the distracting LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME car animation.

Nope. The entire point of premium connectivity is to provide broadband service to your car so you can stream video to the car’s screen.

”Removing internet” from Premium Connectivity would be like your water company removing running water from your service and continuing to bill you.

As others have said, it’s likely that you’re confusing whoever you’re talking to at Tesla because your mashing concepts together.

Premium Connectivity isn’t a hotspot. A hotspot isn’t premium connectivity. They have nothing to do with each other.

The model 3 has never been able to be used as a hotspot.

But if you pay for Premium Connectivity, you should be able to stream video on the cars screen. Period. It’s right there in the description of the service on the website. I think you should stop talking about hotspots to store managers (or anyone else), open a service ticket and tell them you pay for premium connectivity and can’t stream video.

Last edited:
Back to the topic of the thread, I think premium connectivity is nice, but I wouldn’t say I use it a ton. I would say that me, the wife and the kids probably watch Netflix/YouTube/Hulu only a handful of times per month while we’re out and about. But I do like having the traffic info on the map.

I had a gap of a few weeks between the time the trial expired and the time I re-subscribed. I missed it enough to where it’s probably worth $9.99 a month for now.