Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, as of firmware V10, all Model 3s (including SR/+) have access to Slacker streaming music, Spotify, Netflix, YouTube, a web browser, etc.

The community here is guessing that eventually those of us with partial premium interior will be asked to pay a subscription fee to keep the premium connectivity (most guess around $100 a year). But for the moment it's included.

Awesome, thanks for confirming. That basically sells the SR+ for me.

I just oredered a SR+ ( trading in my P85+ ) and was wondering if anyone can tell me if live traffic is available with V10 for the time being? i really use this feature often, but im hoping if it is not included even with V10 for time being, i can purchase the premium plan.

Thanks!

I just oredered a SR+ ( trading in my P85+ ) and was wondering if anyone can tell me if live traffic is available with V10 for the time being? i really use this feature often, but im hoping if it is not included even with V10 for time being, i can purchase the premium plan.

Thanks!

In V10, there is no "visual" live traffic however it does use live traffic data confirmed when you enter in a nav destination when on LTE. I too am waiting to subscribe to premium connectivity to open up for my SR+ to get visual live traffic and satellite maps.

Thanks!
The colored lines aren't there, but if you're navigating it will reroute you if it saves more than X minutes as defined by you in the settings. In other words, it works pretty much the same way as the premium options, just without the visuals.

I just ordered a SR+ ( trading in my P85+ ) and was wondering if anyone can tell me if live traffic is available with V10 for the time being?
No

I really use this feature often, but I'm hoping if it is not included even with V10 for time being, I can purchase the premium plan.
Unless something has changed, you can't purchase the "Premium Plan" at the moment. The speculation (right wrong or otherwise) is that even those with Premium Connectivity will have to start paying for it at some point.

ETA: not sure why the posts that came before mine didn't show when I looked, so sorry for the repetitive answers.

No

Unless something has changed, you can't purchase the "Premium Plan" at the moment. The speculation (right wrong or otherwise) is that even those with Premium Connectivity will have to start paying for it at some point.

ETA: not sure why the posts that came before mine didn't show when I looked, so sorry for the repetitive answers.

In theory anybody who purchased a 3 after ~July 30th 2018 or so (might be off a few days) will have to pay for it eventually.

Likewise there's already some S owners (and more every day) who are supposed to be paying for it since as of Jan 1 2014 new buyers only got 4 year of data free.

Mind you- Tesla is so incompetent as a business they haven't figured out how to bill their own existing customers, whose billing info they already have, for services they're already providing them.... but yeah, they're supposed to. Eventually.

Reactions: cbaaz
In theory anybody who purchased a 3 after ~July 30th 2018 or so (might be off a few days) will have to pay for it eventually.

Likewise there's already some S owners (and more every day) who are supposed to be paying for it since as of Jan 1 2014 new buyers only got 4 year of data free.

Mind you- Tesla is so incompetent as a business they haven't figured out how to bill their own existing customers, whose billing info they already have, for services they're already providing them.... but yeah, they're supposed to. Eventually.

Actually, I don’t think they are that incompetent. They are clearly giving it away for free. By saying “free for a year,” they can turn it off at some unspecified point in the future without any legal blowback. If they said “free connectivity included” without the possibility of a sunset date, it is much harder change course without a big ol’class action lawsuit or two.

Actually, I don’t think they are that incompetent.

You must be new here :)

Tesla has a very very long history of being incompetent at the most elementary and basic business practices.

They make terrific electric vehicles but they corporately can't find their ass with 2 hands and a map. If they could they'd have been profitable sooner and more consistently instead of continually making unforced errors.

These are the same guys who announced they were ramping up production 4-5 fold with a mainstream production vehicle in the model 3... and only after it was already coming off the line in large numbers did it occur to anybody "Hey, maybe we should've lined up some trucks to actually transport these things, huh?"

These are the same guys who waited until months after THAT to figure out "Huh, maybe we're gonna need more service centers if we suddenly have 4-5 times as many cars being sold a year...maybe we should start adding some of those, huh?"

These are the same guys who loaded Pole Position onto their production vehicles as a game without bothering to check if they had the legal rights to do so first (spoiler: they didn't)

Myriad more examples abound. Hell there's gotten to be hundreds of threads just on how incompetent the entire delivery process was for so so so many owners since the launch of the 3 (with such stories continuing to appear over 2 years into production).... with folks having cars vanish from under them, having deliveries rescheduled multiple times with no explanations, with Tesla reps often telling them they "had no idea" where their car, allegedly in transport, was located- despite the car literally having GPS and networking built into it.

The data thing is just another example of it.

They are clearly giving it away for free. By saying “free for a year,” they can turn it off at some unspecified point in the future without any legal blowback. If they said “free connectivity included” without the possibility of a sunset date, it is much harder change course without a big ol’class action lawsuit or two.

That makes no actual sense.

They told Model S owners starting January 1, 2014 they'd get 4 years of free connectivity and then be charged for it.

4 years specifically.

That began ending for the first such owners January 1, 2018. It's almost January 1 2020 now, and Tesla hasn't figured out how to charge anyone- despite having their actual personal and billing info, and Tesla themselves costing the company money continuing to provide for free something the customer explicitly agreed to pay Tesla for

They told Model 3 buyers if they purchased before a specific date in July 2018 they'd get free lifetime connectivity, and anyone buying after that would get either 1 year (with the full premium interior) or 0 years with partial premium.

That time has also passed with no billing happening.

Again Tesla leaving literal free (to them) money on the table because of basic incompetence.

Time for an activist investor to set elon right... right @Knightshade?

/s

Elon is well aware how bad his internal IT setup is... in fact he made a point of mentioning it just about 2 weeks ago...

He was asked on twitter why there's no 2 factor authentication for your Tesla account (something that was pretty basic and available on nearly everything from any other SW company many years ago for security).

His reply?

Elon Musk said:
Fair point. Coming soon. We’re making foundational upgrades to the core Tesla corporate OS. 2FA right after that.

They don't offer 2FA because their cobbled-together-from-stone-knives-and-bearskins IT systems can't do it.

So finding out "monthly or annual billing of customers you already have for something you're already providing them" being beyond them right now isn't surprising either.

One presumes after the "foundational" upgrades to core Tesla corporate systems is done we'll get both 2FA and a competent billing system... at which point the free data faucet will be turned off because they'll actually be capable of not pissing that free money down a drain anymore.

584DC47B-C32B-4A78-A77B-7D8B95A88860.jpeg

Just got this interesting premium connectivity email a few minutes ago! Looks like they’ve finally finalized their plan and billing! For $10/mo getting live traffic, satellite view, AND all the streaming options it’s a “no duh” moment! Cheaper then when I subscribed to XM Radio with my previous car!

Edit: Also, I’ll be damned, Musk did say it would come before the end of the year... and looks like he just nailed that time frame!

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: brkaus and UTMB
Connectivity

Connectivity is an important part of all Tesla cars, further enhancing the driving experience by providing access to features that require data usage — including live traffic visualization, streaming music and media, over-the air software updates and more.

All cars come with Standard Connectivity which provides access to most connectivity features over Wi-Fi only, in addition to basic maps and navigation and music streaming over Bluetooth®.

Premium Connectivity provides the ability to access all connectivity features over cellular, in addition to Wi-Fi, for the most intuitive and engaging ownership experience. Premium Connectivity is available as a monthly subscription of $9.99 plus applicable tax and can be purchased at any time from your Tesla Account. Orders of Model S, Model X and Model 3 with Premium Interior will receive a Premium Connectivity trial for one year after delivery.

If you purchased your Tesla on or after July 1, 2018 and have an expected Premium Connectivity trial end date on or before December 31, 2019, you will maintain Premium Connectivity until returning to Standard Connectivity on January 1, 2020.

All deliveries of Model 3 Standard Range and Standard Range Plus on or before December 31, 2019 will receive a 30-day complimentary Premium Connectivity trial.

All owners can subscribe to Premium Connectivity from the Tesla Account.

Connectivity

I have a LR RWD and also got this email. Unless you were one of the ones that got it as a perk, I think it is going to apply to all configurations. I got my car September 2018 so I've gotten well over 12 months of free Premium Connectivity. Been waiting for them to figure this out and knew it was coming at some point.