Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a LR RWD and also got this email. Unless you were one of the ones that got it as a perk, I think it is going to apply to all configurations. I got my car September 2018 so I've gotten well over 12 months of free Premium Connectivity. Been waiting for them to figure this out and knew it was coming at some point.

Yep, looks like premium interior’s will get 12 months free before having to subscribe...

Just got this too. They went out of their way to imply that music streaming might not work with a customer provided Hotspot. They don't say it won't work, but carefully avoided saying that it might work.

Since my "premium connectivity" seems to be provided by some third tier provider (dead spots everywhere, compared to my Verizon phone) I think I'll take my chances on the Hotspot. It'll be more reliable than paying 10 per month for this not so "premium" option.

Reactions: C141medic
Just got this too. They went out of their way to imply that music streaming might not work with a customer provided Hotspot. They don't say it won't work, but carefully avoided saying that it might work.

Since my "premium connectivity" seems to be provided by some third tier provider (dead spots everywhere, compared to my Verizon phone) I think I'll take my chances on the Hotspot. It'll be more reliable than paying 10 per month for this not so "premium" option.
WiFi is disabled when I drive anyway unless they changed it recently.

• Disagree
Reactions: mlkmade
WiFi is disabled when I drive anyway unless they changed it recently.

nope. Once you switch from park, you have to tough the service bars and it will give you the option to use WiFi as you’re driving. Each time you switch from park, you gotta go back and allow it. Pain in the butt, but that’s how you get around it.

Just got the bad news from Tesla email. I ordered my car the first week of July 2018 and missed the deadline. For $9.99 a month, the extra services will not be worth it to me. Hopefully Tesla will eventually allow us to use google maps with the traffic updates through our phone’s GPS rather than pay to use their subpar routes, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Maybe I’ll miss Slacker radio and end up paying for it ... we’ll see

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
I seem to recall that today video streaming requires wifi connection. Does this comparison table mean that you can do netflix through LTE if you are a paying subscriber?

It would appear so since they specifically call it out as only available via WiFi for the standard connectivity. My car has been working via cellular since the V10 update, even though the release notes said over WiFi. Tesla does mention that service might be slowed down or suspended for excessive use, so your mileage may vary. I know video uses a huge amount of data (since Tesla is sucking down the 1080p video) but they don’t specifically list a GB/month limit.... I figure just limit it to supercharging sessions and stuff and not an hour plus daily while the kids are playing at the park or doing sports or something...

I’ve had these features since V10 minus live traffic visualization and satellite maps. Wish they’d just push those last two ahead of the renewal since I subscribed.

I’m too lazy to go check the car right now (and the garage is way too cold!) but I’m curious if satellite view is working now... or if the switch will be “turned on” sometime this weekend. I went ahead and subscribed too and it notes my first bill will be January 8th, but I should have a free trial till then...

It had been speculated that to keep our premium connectivity package Tesla would charge $100 a year. But, I got an email from them saying they want $9.99 a month ($119.88 a year). This kind of rubs me the wrong way, especially since I paid a premium for my AWD LR Model 3. Some might say the almost $20 more a year isn't that much. Maybe, but remember that subscription based anything, always ends up with increases every year. And part of the reason I bought a Tesla, was to lower my overall cost to drive.

I’m too lazy to go check the car right now (and the garage is way too cold!) but I’m curious if satellite view is working now... or if the switch will be “turned on” sometime this weekend. I went ahead and subscribed too and it notes my first bill will be January 8th, but I should have a free trial till then...

I wondered the same but also was like uhhhh too chilly out lol

It had been speculated that to keep our premium connectivity package Tesla would charge $100 a year. But, I got an email from them saying they want $9.99 a month ($119.88 a year). This kind of rubs me the wrong way, especially since I paid a premium for my AWD LR Model 3. Some might say the almost $20 more a year isn't that much. Maybe, but remember that subscription based anything, always ends up with increases every year. And part of the reason I bought a Tesla, was to lower my overall cost to drive.

you need premium connectivity to drive?

You paid $9k more than SR+ for a better sound system, 30% larger battery, an extra motor to make it AWD, and faster acceleration. LTE based connectivity was always sold as a trial.