Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EF9D074F-580A-47CD-8D37-079F11526FF2.jpeg
I signed up last night and will be billed after my free trial ends (January 8th). I noticed that it shows in the car now, but I don’t seem to have the satellite view, or I don’t know how to activate it. Possibly another update coming very soon?

One thing that might make apartment/condo dwellers happy is that in the car it says updates could happen over cellular connectivity!

Attachments

• FAFCA78F-FB8E-4C30-BCE8-0E311DDE0BF6.jpeg
    FAFCA78F-FB8E-4C30-BCE8-0E311DDE0BF6.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 57
Some questions I've seen asked on here and answered by Tesla (from the Support page on Connectivity -- click for full info).

Can I get Premium Connectivity features by using a mobile hotspot?

Some features that are available to Standard Connectivity owners over Wi-Fi such as video streaming, Caraoke and the internet browser may also be accessed over mobile hotspots, subject to fees and restrictions of your mobile carrier.

Is there any limitation on excessive data use?

Yes. In some cases where data usage is deemed as excessive and exceeds a fair daily usage, we reserve the right to reduce connectivity bandwidth. Review the terms and conditions to learn more.

How will I be notified when my Premium Connectivity trial is about to expire?

We will automatically send you an email notification with information on how to subscribe to Premium Connectivity in the week before your trial expires.

What’s the difference between Wi-Fi and cellular connectivity?

Cellular connectivity is a wireless data connection and only requires that you’re within range of a cell phone tower — similar to how a smart phone works.

Wi-Fi connectivity requires proximity to a router — similar to how a laptop connects to your Wi-Fi at home.

Is Tesla providing the network for connectivity?

No. Your connectivity network is provided by your local telecommunications company and Tesla is not responsible for the connectivity quality or coverage.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
Wait what? Why would Tesla cover your subscriptions to other services? The $9.99 a month is for you to cover the bandwidth fees for using the services. Streaming Netflix, spotify etc is not cheap and they should not have to front the costs.

Then saying if it doesn’t include premium accounts to services like Spotify which is on it’s own $9.99 a month is absurd. Never met such an entitled user base in my life.

If the subscription to some other service was included in their definition of "Premium Connectivity" when you purchased that option (which I did, it was included in the LR AWD feature set), then when you start paying $10/mo for "Premium Connectivity" to continue it should work the same as it does now. I.e. to charge me $10/mo and then require additional subscriptions to get the same content that was included with Premium Connectivity before would be disingenuous on Tesla's part. So I REALLY hope that isn't what will happen on 1/1.

• Disagree
Reactions: YusufT
I've got a TM3 SR+, so the million dollar question for me is, are additional subscriptions required to listen to TuneIn, Spotify, etc...??? The free streaming subscription has been working great for me, for the past few months, and I received the email this morning, so I should still get another 30 days of free streaming, but after my first drive, Tune-In is now prompting me for logon credentials, which it has never done before.

Has anybody else noticed that Tune-In now requires a sign-in?

If Tune-In and/or Spotify now require a separate paid accounts to access, then Tesla's $9.99/month offering becomes much less desirable.

Hasn’t it always been a requirement to have a premium (not standard) Spotify account on V10? I don’t use it myself but was under the impression that it was similar to Netflix (needing an account login).

I have to say I'm super disappointed with Tesla. I bought a Model 3 and yet I still have an electric bill at home. Tesla should cover my utilities. Also it would be nice if they covered my mortgage payments and water bill too. Why should I have to pay for anything, after all, I bought a car from them. They owe me.
Get a gas car lol Tesla don’t owe u anything

Great. Others will notice it soon too and end some of the discussion about the Trial period and when they will get to see the satellite maps and traffic visualization. LOL 15 new pages on this just from this morning.

Seriously ... all the doom and gloom around something that is clearly in the plan and just hasn’t activated in the first couple hours is crazy.
Tesla, Apple, Samsung, Google, Amazon, whomever. Always takes a day or two to work out the kinks. In fact, I’m rather impressed with how smooth this rollout went, actually. Haven’t seen one complaint yet about anyone being categorized wrong, or dates being off, or cars exploding, or Elon kicking their dog yet.

quite possibly the smoothest feature rollout Tesla’s ever had .... and to your point, 15+ pages of complaining. :)

Just to play devils advocate, there are zero car companies that give internet for free. (Audi/BMW are 20$ a month, Porsche is 11, Lexus has 3 different features for 8$ a month a piece, so up to 24$ a month) Not sure why it's a surprise. It was on the order page when you got your car.

And to add on, no other cars have OTA updates, especially free ones. Super reasonable, especially if hotspot functionality gets added(I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't add more cost tbh)

Actually Mercedes offers Mercedes Me Connect for free for 3 years. It includes software updates over LTE, remote start, predictive navigation, Live Traffic, Online Map Updates, Stolen Vehicle Tracker.

Mine MB SLC had 5 years, didn't have the map updates but did include TuneIn for free for those years.

In addition I can always connect Apple CarPlay or Android if I want to use my own navigation and LTE.

The only thing I would use from Tesla is the traffic updates and that is not worth $10 a month when Google, Apple, and everyone else are giving it away for free.

BMW similarly gives traffic for free for 4 years. After that it is $50 a year. Not everyone needs streaming music when you phone will do it for you. So Tesla is grabbing for money when they know that some will subscribe just for traffic.

But its the reason why I like CarPlay so much and use it as my primary navigation and entertainment. I hate that car manufactures try to look you in to a subscription. This is clearly a part in which Tesla is not innovative and is worse off than a lot of the competition that has CarPlay as standard.

Actually Mercedes offers Mercedes Me Connect for free for 3 years. It includes software updates over LTE, remote start, predictive navigation, Live Traffic, Online Map Updates, Stolen Vehicle Tracker.

Mine MB SLC had 5 years, didn't have the map updates but did include TuneIn for free for those years.

In addition I can always connect Apple CarPlay or Android if I want to use my own navigation and LTE.

The only thing I would use from Tesla is the traffic updates and that is not worth $10 a month when Google, Apple, and everyone else are giving it away for free.

BMW similarly gives traffic for free for 4 years. After that it is $50 a year. Not everyone needs streaming music when you phone will do it for you. So Tesla is grabbing for money when they know that some will subscribe just for traffic.

But its the reason why I like CarPlay so much and use it as my primary navigation and entertainment. I hate that car manufactures try to look you in to a subscription. This is clearly a part in which Tesla is not innovative and is worse off than a lot of the competition that has CarPlay as standard.

We see from new Tesla owner posts that many people on here aren't buying Mercedes or BMWs and instead buying Tesla. So even if they offered those features for little or no money, Mercedes and BMW are still losing sales. It's always going to come down to what works best for each owner and of course primarily how much you love driving the car. Some manufacturer was recently in the news about dropping a subscription fee for anyone wanting Apple Play. I thought their original position was totally stupid. Guess they found out it was a sales blocker for them. Back in 2017/18 I held off buying a car thinking I would get another Toyota since my car had been so reliable for so many years; but was turned off completely by them not offering Apple Play (and even more so by what I thought were totally ugly car designs. Also was put off by all the buttons and controls they had on the new model loaner car they gave me when I had my car in for service). Honestly I don't find not having Apple Play in my Model 3 a big deal. It all depends on what you get use to using and the trade offs. I'm more upset that Tune-In on my iPhone stopped carrying my local CBS news channel and I have to use a different app now to get that. Do like that my Model 3 has it though.