Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I love this idea- they already knew how to ONE TIME charge people for things (for example adding FSD...or hell using a supercharger)

It seemed the mystically complex concept of "billing them on a regular schedule" had eluded them for a few years though.
That is true. I guess the “want FSD as a subscription” crowd is one step closer to that being a thing.

Yup

https://ww.electrek.co/2018/06/23/t...onnectivity-package-in-car-internet-features/

That's from June 2018 mentioning the change to 1 year on post-June 2018 cars.

Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

That's the connectivty FAQ from August 2018.

It explicitly mentioned you only get it for 1 year after July 1 2018.

Yes...and then in March the explicit mentions of 1 year were removed.

There are examples the other way...it used to be explicitly mentioned that you get homelink garage opener on your Model 3 as part of premium interior. Now it is not. So if I were to buy a car today, I can't use old documentation to review whether I get it or not, I need to use the current website.

And the facts are, if you ordered in March 2019, there was nothing on the order page, agreement of sale, anything in fine print that indicated premium connectivity was only for a year.

I purchased my Model 3 on March 20th and I was well aware that the premium connectivity was only good for one year. I can’t recall if it stated so anywhere on the order page but there was a FAQ page on connectivity that was referenced in hundreds of posts on this forum. I took the time to research it when I was evaluating buying an SR+ vs a LR RWD and wanted to understand the differences in the interiors. It wasn’t very hard to find once I spent a few minutes searching around the internet for it.

But I can understand someone who doesn’t follow the forums or dig into the support pages on Teslas’s website being frustrated. Most of us just ordered online anyway so we never spoke to a rep, and even if we did, virtually everything they say is generally wrong. It’s just the same old story about Tesla being really bad at communicating important information to its customers. You really have to spend some time on this forum before buying a Tesla to find out everything you need to know before buying a car from them. A rep is never going to provide this information to you.

It's quite the opposite actually... I knew in February that if I ordered premium connectivity was only for a year...and then through close observation and through discussing and reading on this forum I noticed that all mention of 1 year included was removed from Tesla's documentation.

If the subscription to some other service was included in their definition of "Premium Connectivity" when you purchased that option (which I did, it was included in the LR AWD feature set), then when you start paying $10/mo for "Premium Connectivity" to continue it should work the same as it does now. I.e. to charge me $10/mo and then require additional subscriptions to get the same content that was included with Premium Connectivity before would be disingenuous on Tesla's part. So I REALLY hope that isn't what will happen on 1/1.
I agree that would suck but Tesla NEVER included any premium service for free.
Hasn’t it always been a requirement to have a premium (not standard) Spotify account on V10? I don’t use it myself but was under the impression that it was similar to Netflix (needing an account login).
Yes it requires you to already have a premium account and to log in

• Informative
Reactions: Sherlo
If you placed your order before July 1 2018, you get free premium connectivity for life (of the car,
I placed my Model 3 LR Dual Motor order on August 9, 2018 (that is the date shown on my Tesla Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement). When I log in to my Tesla Account it shows:

Premium Connectivity
Free Unlimited

I have not received any notifications from Tesla stating that I will have to pay the new $9.99/month Premium Connectivity fee.

Actually Mercedes offers Mercedes Me Connect for free for 3 years. It includes software updates over LTE, remote start, predictive navigation, Live Traffic, Online Map Updates, Stolen Vehicle Tracker.

Mine MB SLC had 5 years, didn't have the map updates but did include TuneIn for free for those years.

In addition I can always connect Apple CarPlay or Android if I want to use my own navigation and LTE.

The only thing I would use from Tesla is the traffic updates and that is not worth $10 a month when Google, Apple, and everyone else are giving it away for free.

BMW similarly gives traffic for free for 4 years. After that it is $50 a year. Not everyone needs streaming music when you phone will do it for you. So Tesla is grabbing for money when they know that some will subscribe just for traffic.

But its the reason why I like CarPlay so much and use it as my primary navigation and entertainment. I hate that car manufactures try to look you in to a subscription. This is clearly a part in which Tesla is not innovative and is worse off than a lot of the competition that has CarPlay as standard.
Apples and oranges. Saying Tesla charging $10 for something your phone does for free is a completely useless and dumb argument. You still pay for it on your phone. It’s called a cellular connection, that’s what Tesla is charging you for. Not for the service itself but for the cellular connection. Streaming Netflix, spotify, etc. Is bandwidth intensive and Tesla should not have to front ongoing costs. Why do you think they stopped software updates over cellular? Google isn’t giving away anything for free. You’re paying for the data by simply using the service, you are the product with Google..

LOL Tesla is not innovative because of that?? Get a hold of this guy. Navigation is FREE do you not read before you go complaining online? The traffic data is part of what you have to pay for.

If that's the case why does my pixel on Google maps offer a different route sometimes than navigation in my SR? Further Google maps doesn't have an HOV option.
Stole this post from user bob_p who said this:

With the current navigation system - there are THREE sets of maps:
  • Google maps - which are used on the console display. These maps are used for display purposes only and are not used for navigation. The navigation software lays the route ontop of the Google map. Since the Google maps are relatively up-to-date, there may be some cases where the navigation route doesn't match the Google map, in areas of recent road changes.
  • Onboard map data (what is displayed in the new status window) - this is used by the onboard navigation software for the dashboard navigation display (the mini-map showing the upcoming navigation route) and is used to calculate routes when Tesla's navigation cloud server isn't available. This database is also used to provide road speed limits which limits areas where NOAP can operate fully and controls automatic speed adjustment under NOAP and TACC. Because this database is only refreshed periodically, it is more susceptible to recent changes.
  • Tesla cloud navigation server maps - unless disabled by the vehicle or the Internet isn't available, all routing calculations are now done on Tesla's cloud navigation server. That server is likely using more up-to-date map data (hopefully close to what Google displays). We don't have any way to determine the status of that map data.
Because the onboard map data is guaranteed to be out-of-date, using that data for route calculations and controlling speeds will never be reliable enough to support FSD. Over time, we'll likely see less reliance on the onboard map data, except when the vehicle is driving without Internet connectivity.

I did too...but these guys whining about this could pay for 100 years of premium with the price drops they got.

other than being somewhat fun to watch the whining...these entitled ones really do just need to stop
Yeah the entitled ones are annoying, but honestly no one is forcing them to buy it. If you don’t like it don’t pay for it, but arguing online like Tesla owes you something is petty.

Here's the Tesla site from when I ordered mine in March 2019:
Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support
View attachment 485943

I purchased my M3 LR RWD in March 2019, and there was no mention of any limitation or time length to premium connectivity on the site when I purchased. Since I was confused when people mentioned they saw the 1 year limit on the site earlier than that, I looked it up on the internet archive from 3/24/2019, but can't find any mention of the limitation.

While I still have a few months of the grace period left, I am disappointed to learn that I'll soon have to pay. Premium connectivity was was not the only reason I upgraded to LR from SR+, but it definitely was a factor. I remember specifically asking the sales rep at the showroom if the maps and music features were extra cost, and they said no and mentioned nothing about a limited free period or getting charged later. There was nothing in my paperwork that mentions a time period either. I figured they would start charging new buyers eventually, but never thought they'd charge existing owners. $10/mo is not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but it never feels good to get a surprise charge for something you thought was included.
I remember Tesla offered LR RWD again for a short period then stopped again. Is that when you bought it? If so that’s not right you shouldn’t be getting charged for premium connectivity as you had the premium interior. Perhaps it’s an oversight for them?

I agree that would suck but Tesla NEVER included any premium service for free.

Hasn’t it always been a requirement to have a premium (not standard) Spotify account on V10? I don’t use it myself but was under the impression that it was similar to Netflix (needing an account login).

Yes it requires you to already have a premium account and to log in

Good to know about Spotify, so what about TuneIn? Is a Teslafied TuneIn provided free of charge? What happens if I signin with a TuneIn paid or free account?

Stole this post from user bob_p who said this:

With the current navigation system - there are THREE sets of maps:
  • Google maps - which are used on the console display. These maps are used for display purposes only and are not used for navigation. The navigation software lays the route ontop of the Google map. Since the Google maps are relatively up-to-date, there may be some cases where the navigation route doesn't match the Google map, in areas of recent road changes.
  • Onboard map data (what is displayed in the new status window) - this is used by the onboard navigation software for the dashboard navigation display (the mini-map showing the upcoming navigation route) and is used to calculate routes when Tesla's navigation cloud server isn't available. This database is also used to provide road speed limits which limits areas where NOAP can operate fully and controls automatic speed adjustment under NOAP and TACC. Because this database is only refreshed periodically, it is more susceptible to recent changes.
  • Tesla cloud navigation server maps - unless disabled by the vehicle or the Internet isn't available, all routing calculations are now done on Tesla's cloud navigation server. That server is likely using more up-to-date map data (hopefully close to what Google displays). We don't have any way to determine the status of that map data.
Because the onboard map data is guaranteed to be out-of-date, using that data for route calculations and controlling speeds will never be reliable enough to support FSD. Over time, we'll likely see less reliance on the onboard map data, except when the vehicle is driving without Internet connectivity.

Thanks, that explains it!