Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want to tether your car to your mobile phone's wifi hotspot, all of the premium connectivity features except the traffic visualization will work on wifi.

Without wifi, however, all streaming video and music, including Spotify, will require premium connectivity.

Okay! I dont mind using my phone, but I am wondering if spotify will still work on the screen as it did when I test drove the car? And if voice commands would work. Sorry, hopefully that makes sense!

Okay! I dont mind using my phone, but I am wondering if spotify will still work on the screen as it did when I test drove the car? And if voice commands would work. Sorry, hopefully that makes sense!

He's not saying run spotify on your phone.

He's saying use the phone as a wifi hotspot for the car to gain internet access, then keep using the built-in software on the car.

The car doesn't care where it gets its internet access from- if you don't wanna pay Tesla for theirs, you can provide your own.

(though you'll have to turn Wifi on in the car each time you drive it)

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
Sure, the anti consumer software design works, sadly.

My understanding is this was implemented (quite a while before they had pay-for-LTE at all) because folks would be on wifi at home, pull out of the garage, and the car would take too long to drop the weak wifi and hand over to LTE so folks would be waiting for streaming to buffer and other annoying stuff- so dropping Wifi when you go to drive was a fix for that problem.

My understanding is this was implemented (quite a while before they had pay-for-LTE at all) because folks would be on wifi at home, pull out of the garage, and the car would take too long to drop the weak wifi and hand over to LTE so folks would be waiting for streaming to buffer and other annoying stuff- so dropping Wifi when you go to drive was a fix for that problem.
Wait, so you're saying that Tesla is trying to...

make money?!?

The nerve of some people.

they could put a auto-connect option, my amazon auto does wifi over BT.

I can't figure out how to order Connectivity. I've opened my Tesla account but none of the headings lead to connectivity

If you have a Premium Interior (if you purchased a new Dual Motor or Performance 3), it comes standard with a Premium interior (which includes Premium connectivity). Otherwise, the answer to your question is in the second post in this 50-page thread:

I am aware of that page. I've logged into my Tesla account but no headings lead to connectivity. I am in the right place but can't find it, so can some show the headings I need to access, fo to Tesla 3, go to apparel, go,,, etc

1. Log into your account.
2. Click on the Manage button:
upload_2020-8-7_13-28-25.png

3. Click on Subscribe:
upload_2020-8-7_13-30-10.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-7_13-28-15.png
    upload_2020-8-7_13-28-15.png
    49.4 KB · Views: 52
  • upload_2020-8-7_13-29-29.png
    upload_2020-8-7_13-29-29.png
    110 KB · Views: 34
  • Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
When I get my Model 3 in about a month, I’ll have free Premium Connectivity for a year. Once that trial is over, and if I decide not to subscribe to Premium Connectivity, I know that I will need to be in range of WiFi if I want to stream Netflix or the internet. My question is, will my car still have to be connected to WiFi in order for it to respond to my Tesla app controls from my IPhone? Or is that functionality still considered the ongoing Standard Connectivity?

When I get my Model 3 in about a month, I’ll have free Premium Connectivity for a year. Once that trial is over, and if I decide not to subscribe to Premium Connectivity, I know that I will need to be in range of WiFi if I want to stream Netflix or the internet. My question is, will my car still have to be connected to WiFi in order for it to respond to my Tesla app controls from my IPhone? Or is that functionality still considered the ongoing Standard Connectivity?

its standard

Reactions: swb2734
Like many other motorists, enthusiastic about the advent of a decent sensible all electric car, I placed an order for a model 3 at the first available opportunity, I.e. 1st April 2016. This was the first possible date for UK adopters.
I paid the huge deposit of £1000.00 against the car, sight unseen. In fact , in those days, there were no production 3s built, so it was a real leap of faith in placing an order at that time.
Subsequently to that, Tesla asked for a further £2000.00 which I duly paid.
My invoice refers to Premium Interior as included. But now Tesla is telling me that all cars ordered after September 2018 must pay 100 dollars/month for the Premium Connectivity even though my original order was in 2016.
My premium connectivity now no longer works.
Does anyone else have a similar experience and ,if so, what progress have you made in reversing their decision.I would be interested to know if you think this is honest practice. Especially since much has been made by Tesla of the underhand purchasing strategies used by Legacy auto manufacturers.

Like many other motorists, enthusiastic about the advent of a decent sensible all electric car, I placed an order for a model 3 at the first available opportunity, I.e. 1st April 2016. This was the first possible date for UK adopters.
I paid the huge deposit of £1000.00 against the car, sight unseen. In fact , in those days, there were no production 3s built, so it was a real leap of faith in placing an order at that time.
Subsequently to that, Tesla asked for a further £2000.00 which I duly paid.
My invoice refers to Premium Interior as included. But now Tesla is telling me that all cars ordered after September 2018 must pay 100 dollars/month for the Premium Connectivity even though my original order was in 2016.
My premium connectivity now no longer works.
Does anyone else have a similar experience and ,if so, what progress have you made in reversing their decision.I would be interested to know if you think this is honest practice. Especially since much has been made by Tesla of the underhand purchasing strategies used by Legacy auto manufacturers.
Your April 1st 2016 "order" was just a reservation, not an actual order. In mid 2018, Tesla announced that cars ordered before July 2018 would have free premium connectivity for life. If you didn't actually place an order before then, then you have to pay for premium connectivity.