Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium connectivity ended as a leasing customer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - thread merged from "Help - Premium Connectivity Trial Ending and Lease Car?"

Have had an M3P since early last year on a salary sacrifice scheme through work (lease co - Tusker). Love the connectivity but understand this is a one year trial, so will be "ending" very shortly.

I'm aware of the challenges of getting access to upgrades, subscription services via the leaseco, as they're the owner and not me. I.e. I cannot see all car features in both the app and website, nor can I see any Upgrade options...

Does anybody (as a lease customer) have any experience of successfully renewing/extending the premium connectivity service, as this is important to me? I worry when it ends, neither Tusker nor Telsa will have a clue on how to renew it, given I'm not the registered user, but simply the lease-ee driver!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have had an M3P since early last year on a salary sacrifice scheme through work (lease co - Tusker). Love the connectivity but understand this is a one year trial, so will be "ending" very shortly.

I'm aware of the challenges of getting access to upgrades, subscription services via the leaseco, as they're the owner and not me. I.e. I cannot see all car features in both the app and website, nor can I see any Upgrade options...

Does anybody (as a lease customer) have any experience of successfully renewing/extending the premium connectivity service, as this is important to me? I worry when it ends, neither Tusker nor Telsa will have a clue on how to renew it, given I'm not the registered user, but simply the lease-ee driver!

My car is leased, starting November 2019 and the premium connectivity has just continued.

The first year on my LR ran ended Nov 2020, it's still working so I'm hopeful I'll have it for the full 3 years of the lease. Four months on and it's still fully functional. I have to go on the assumption that if it were removed I'd be asking Leaseplan to reduce my bill by £120 a year (or whatever premium costs), I don't expect my functionality to degrade over time. I'm renting a full car, not bits of it.

Reactions: Mperkins28
Our SR+ lease continued with the premium connectivity after the 30 day trial for no extra cost. The lease company got confirmation from Tesla that it just continues for lease customers (presumably as they have no system to charge lease customers directly, or I'm sure they would have done!).
That's new. Hope it was not just a fluke for your car. @Tigermad, we have seen over and over that leased cars lose Premium Conn, and leasees were unable to find someone in the lease company that had Tesla Account control. Leasees said they were willing to pay, but could not access the screens to add a CC.

So, hope what @jamherber is saying applies to everyone that leases.

Reactions: Tigermad
That's new. Hope it was not just a fluke for your car. @Tigermad, we have seen over and over that leased cars lose Premium Conn, and leasees were unable to find someone in the lease company that had Tesla Account control. Leasees said they were willing to pay, but could not access the screens to add a CC.

So, hope what @jamherber is saying applies to everyone that leases.

That certainly seems to be the case in the UK. Other people have posted similar outcomes for leased vehicles.

That makes sense. I guess people leasing are not familiar with the fact that they need to make provisions with the lease company to let the leasee pay up front or with monthly payment to cover connection costs. @OttoR, maybe your comment will plant a seed for all those coming after to make sure they cover that in their contract.

Reactions: OttoR