Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity Expires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, maybe this has been answered elsewhere but I couldn't find this specific situation. I bought a used Model 3 in March. I was told by the seller that the car would have the premium connectivity for life as the car was ordered before July 2018. However, my car is now showing that I am on a free trial that will expire March 2021. Tesla's site on the subject is very confusing:

"How do the new connectivity options impact current Tesla owners?
All Tesla cars ordered on or before June 30, 2018 will continue to have access to their existing Premium Connectivity features at no cost for the lifetime of the car. "

"How are used Tesla cars affected by this policy?
All used Tesla cars purchased [From Tesla?] on or before January 8, 2020 will continue to have the Premium Connectivity features described above at no cost for the lifetime of the car, and will be active for future owners if sold privately."

"What connectivity package applies to Tesla cars purchased privately and have transferred ownership?
Tesla cars purchased privately or via third-party and have transferred ownership on or before January 20, 2020 will have free Premium Connectivity for the lifetime of the car.

Tesla cars purchased privately or via third-party and have transferred ownership on or after January 21, 2020 that do not have lifetime Premium Connectivity or an active Premium Connectivity trial will receive a 30 day trial of Premium Connectivity before being eligible for subscription."

Am I going to have to pay after this period?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200503_211102.jpg
    20200503_211102.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 217
So is this expiration date a new message? Did it say lifetime when you transferred ownership in March?
I would try to get some sort of documentation when it was ordered from your original owner if possible. If he was the one who ordered it and transferred to you privately, you should be entitled. Perhaps he was the third owner which would complicate things. The way your screen shows now, premium connectivity will be gone in March of 2021.

Wow, what a confusing policy.

My reading of it is that, assuming "used car" means from "purchased used from Tesla," then you should get free lifetime connectivity.

If "used car" includes private sales then you won't get free connectivity unless the car had already been sold prior to January 8th 2020. But that interpretation also has this weird case for cars that were sold between January 8th and January 21st...

• Disagree
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
It states that you would not get the package for life. The sellers info was incorrect.

How are used Tesla cars affected by this policy?
All used Tesla cars purchased on or before January 8, 2020 will continue to have the Premium Connectivity features described above at no cost for the lifetime of the car, and will be active for future owners if sold privately.

All used Tesla cars purchased on or after January 9, 2020 will receive Standard Connectivity and are eligible to upgrade to Premium Connectivity. A 30-Day trial of Premium Connectivity is provided on delivery and can be upgraded to Premium Connectivity from the Tesla Account.

If you look a that the chart ont eh page, it shows what you get. The FAW question only applies to when the ownership transfer happened.

Last edited:
The confusing part is that it says

Tesla cars purchased privately or via third-party and have transferred ownership on or after January 21, 2020 that do not have lifetime Premium Connectivity or an active Premium Connectivity trial will receive a 30 day trial of Premium Connectivity before being eligible for subscription.

Why say it like that since no cars would have that after ownership transfer.

I did ask Tesla and they responded that, no, I don't get lifetime. It definitely didn't say this before but oh well. At least I get a year free.

I'm also confused by Premium Connectivity. My wife and I bought our Teslas at the same time (a 2020 Model S LR for me and a 2020 Model 3 LR for her). I was told when we bought them that both would come with 1 year of "free" connectivity, and that after the 12 months we'd have to pay a monthly fee. When I checked my wife's car on our Tesla Account, it showed that her Premium Connectivity was set to expire in March 2021 (12 month point), but when I look at my Model S info on my Tesla Account, it says I have "Free Unlimited" connectivity... My Model S was built in 12/19. I took a screen shot of the screen showing "Free Unlimited" in case Tesla later tries to charge me...

Is this right that I should get Free Unlimited on my 2020 Model S? Thanks!

I'm also confused by Premium Connectivity. My wife and I bought our Teslas at the same time (a 2020 Model S LR for me and a 2020 Model 3 LR for her). I was told when we bought them that both would come with 1 year of "free" connectivity, and that after the 12 months we'd have to pay a monthly fee. When I checked my wife's car on our Tesla Account, it showed that her Premium Connectivity was set to expire in March 2021 (12 month point), but when I look at my Model S info on my Tesla Account, it says I have "Free Unlimited" connectivity... My Model S was built in 12/19. I took a screen shot of the screen showing "Free Unlimited" in case Tesla later tries to charge me...

Is this right that I should get Free Unlimited on my 2020 Model S? Thanks!

Interesting, that shouldn't be happening, I do know that current Model S and X get free unlimited supercharging, but not unlimited connectivity.

But it somehow doesn't expire next year, hey, good for you, just keep it quiet...