Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity for new MYLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery on my new MY. I forgot to ask the delivery folks how long the free premium connectivity lasts. It used to be a year, but I recall something about it now being a few months? I can't find anything in my documentation that lists this info.

from the tesla.com website under orders

Premium Connectivity, 1 year complimentary​

1. Live traffic visualization
  2. Satellite-View Maps
  3. Video Streaming, allowing access to content from Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, Twitch, and more
  4. Caraoke
  5. Music Streaming
  6. Internet Browser
    *New features that become available after delivery may be subject to additional charges.

Reactions: cbo111
It is a year long for new MY LR. The SR+ has only 1 month premium connectivity. The details are here: Connectivity

When you first take the delivery, the car may not have the premium connectivity active yet. It could be a few hours or even next day for it to be active. I got "Premium Connectivity Trial Expired" message on my way from the delivery to home. But it sorted out by itself next morning.

Reactions: cbo111
Not currently; You can connect to WiFi for audio/video streaming and web browsing while the Tesla vehicle is parked but not while driving. If you want to use the Tesla audio streaming (Slacker based) or the Spotify Premium application you need the Tesla Premium Connectivity subscription (currently $10 US per month plus applicable sales tax.)

You would need the Premium Connectivity for the Tesla built in navigation system satellite-view maps, live traffic visualization. Also needed for Caraoke (does anyone even use this since Covid-19 arrived ?)

Once activated the Tesla Premium Connectivity subscription will automatically renew after 1 year (unless you cancel your subscription.)

Not currently; You can connect to WiFi for audio/video streaming and web browsing while the Tesla vehicle is parked but not while driving. If you want to use the Tesla audio streaming (Slacker based) or the Spotify Premium application you need the Tesla Premium Connectivity subscription (currently $10 US per month plus applicable sales tax.)

You would need the Premium Connectivity for the Tesla built in navigation system satellite-view maps, live traffic visualization. Also needed for Caraoke (does anyone even use this since Covid-19 arrived ?)
I hate satellite view, don't need Caraoke, and can bluetooth audio from my phone to the car audio system for streaming music... and when parked use my wifi hotspot for video streaming / web browsing... but what is live traffic visualization? Not sure if I need / want that... if not then it looks like I will use the premium for a year and then not worry about it :)

Keith

I hate satellite view, don't need Caraoke, and can bluetooth audio from my phone to the car audio system for streaming music... and when parked use my wifi hotspot for video streaming / web browsing... but what is live traffic visualization? Not sure if I need / want that... if not then it looks like I will use the premium for a year and then not worry about it :)

Keith
Live traffic visualization is just the yellow and red lines overlaid on the roads.

Keith
For all reasons you stated I will keep premium connectivity. I don’t want the hassle of sitting up a Wi-Fi hotspot everyday, playing music over my phone, and I love the satellite view. All personal preference.

Reactions: Fourdoor
It's 10 bucks a month after the first year?
Correct. I don’t mind paying it does the convince it offers. A lot of people use hotspot on their phones to save the $10 a month. I like how the tech works on Tesla (one of the reasons I bought it). For that reason I will just pay the $10. I waste more than that a month at Starbucks.

Reactions: Ashenor
How is there navigation vs Waze? Mine comes in next week and I drive a ton and use waze as a lifesaver all day.
There is a current way to use Waze for navigation in the Tesla Model Y but it is a bit unconventional.

First, you need to be willing to use the Amazon Alexa app on your phone. Alexa has a mode for driving called Alexa Auto. The Alexa Auto mode feature uses an Amazon microphone array called Echo Auto so you can interact with the Alexa app hands free while driving using only Alexa voice commands.

The Alexa app can be used to navigate using Waze (also Apple Maps and Google Maps.) You only need to use your phone to start the route, then the Alexa app will navigate using Waze and provide turn by turn driving instructions. I believe that Waze will provide situational awareness, announce traffic incidents or police activity, road hazards etc. All of the Alexa audio responses are heard through the Tesla's audio system (you must set the audio source to be BT streaming.)

Your phones data plan and data rates would apply. The Echo Auto price is $49.99 but frequently goes on sale (right now the Echo Auto is on sale price $14.99. At this price the Echo Auto is a truly great deal.)

Some probably won't agree but I think the Alexa App with the Echo Auto microphone device turns your phone into a Trojan horse that gets Amazon inside the automobile and able to start competing with Apple Carplay and Android Auto. The main difference is Apple CarPlay relies on a visual screen interface and Amazon Alexa Auto is voice based.

We are discussing using Waze in the Model Y; Amazon Echo Auto will also stream audio from multiple sources, place phone calls and even enable you to interact with Amazon automation devices in your home from your vehicle.

Last edited:
There is a current way to use Waze for navigation in the Tesla Model Y but it is a bit unconventional.

There's also Tesla Waze which can be used in the car's browser (from Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information), though admittedly I've never actually tried it out.

You can look out the window and come to the same conclusion.

Yes, but only as far as you can see! If you've got alternate routes available, it can be handy to know in advance that one of them is busier than another.

I was not aware of Tesla Waze. Tesla blocks using the Tesla browser to stream data while driving.

@jcanoe as noted, I've never tried it, but learned about it in a YouTube video and bookmarked it many months ago (long before getting the car). I forget which video it was, but a quick search on YouTube returns a few: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=teslawaze&sp=CAI%3D. Though, they appear to be from 2-3 years ago. I'm pretty sure the video I saw it in was from 2020, and was a "tips and tricks" round-up video, but again I don't recall which or from which YouTuber (there are scores of those types of videos out there....)