Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I logged on to my account this morning. Looks like premium connectivity monthly fee is coming to Canada.

I'm probably going to pass on this - the only thing I seem to use frequently is Spotify.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 11.10.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 11.10.13 AM.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 312
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 11.16.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 11.16.02 AM.png
    242 KB · Views: 421
I have enjoyed the streaming music service, but not $15/month worth, especially not with my much reduced driving since working from home. According to Teslafi my average driving is 4,000 km/month. So far in April I have driven only 845 km.

I was very happy when I learned that Tesla was bringing Spotify to the entertainment system. But the implementation has been so poor that I have rarely used it.

Traffic is easy where I drive. The traffic visualizations were interesting for a few days, but I turned them off.

Maybe if the Spotify implementation is improved I will try subscribing after I return to my historical driving.

Premium connectivity is sort of a necessity here in Vancouver, the news and traffic stations are all AM and the only way to listen to them is via tune in.

But I have not seen this option show up on my acct yet

Did you check any of the HD radio stations? In Toronto a number of the am radio stations for sports and traffic are rebroadcast on HD! It was a pleasant surprise to find them!

Around $16 is a bit higher than I expected. Welcome to the era of subscriptions: Netflix, Spotify, Microsoft Office, YouTube, Tesla, etc.
It's a fantastic thing for companies, another recurring revenue stream. Most people forget they even have them over time and will pay for many months extra before they cancel, I suspect. Adobe software does the monthly fee thing too (Photoshop, etc).

It's a fantastic thing for companies, another recurring revenue stream. Most people forget they even have them over time and will pay for many months extra before they cancel, I suspect. Adobe software does the monthly fee thing too (Photoshop, etc).

Agreed, recurring revenue is always nice. To be fair though Tesla is paying out ongoing money for LTE and Spotify, no doubt based on the number of subscribers. I'm sure it's nowhere near $16 per subscriber per month but still, it's not zero.

do you also get subscription to spotify for free while paying 16/month for premium connectivity?

currently I am paying $10 to Sportify per month with free preimum connectivity. But if spotify becomes free after paying 16/month for premium connectivity then maybe it will be worth it

I don't think so. The fact using Spotify in the car cost more than Spotify itself doesn't make it worth it since I don't have use for the other premium feature (I'll use Netflix on my phone).

Is there an option to have all the non-premium features be enabled over Bluetooth instead? I'd gladly have this all go over my phone (like every other car does...

(yes I know I can hotspot but that seems like an unnecessary step)

what about basic connectivity? Will the remote access via the Tesla app still work? Like can I still see the location and state of charge and will I still be able to turn on the heater/AC via app?

Yes, the app will still work.

Interestingly, the live traffic routing will still work too. Only the visualization is disabled.

"All cars with Standard Connectivity will continue to receive the same core maps & navigation functionality as cars with Premium Connectivity, including traffic-based routing, Trip Planner and Supercharger stall availability."

Connectivity

Just subscribed. I've had it for free since I bought the car in Nov 2018 and love it. Use the Internet browser all the time. And watch Netflix and Youtube while waiting for kids. Have even had "drive in movie" nights. I know it's a money grab and would love to see it grandfathered into cars bought before a specific time, but what can you do. It will be a good revenue stream for Tesla and honestly is a decent deal.

Just subscribed. I've had it for free since I bought the car in Nov 2018 and love it. Use the Internet browser all the time. And watch Netflix and Youtube while waiting for kids. Have even had "drive in movie" nights. I know it's a money grab and would love to see it grandfathered into cars bought before a specific time, but what can you do. It will be a good revenue stream for Tesla and honestly is a decent deal.

It was grandfathered into cars bought before a specific time:

All Tesla cars ordered on or before June 30, 2018 will continue to have access to their existing Premium Connectivity features at no cost for the lifetime of the car. As additional features and services become available in the future, owners will have the opportunity to upgrade their connectivity plan.

Mines covered by this and confirmed in my account but I would subscribe if it wasn’t. I look at it as being similar to to Netflix, Prime and other streaming subscriptions I have.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BBone and bijan