Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. Spotify was definitively working this afternoon, but my account tonight does show it's expired. I'll have to check again in the car tomorrow.

Capture d’écran, le 2020-12-21 à 22.04.14.png

Well I have the same attitude. I just feel disappointed with Tesla.
I'm one of those affected. I was one of the group gifted lifetime premium connectivity and then without notice it was removed from my account.
To me it's like being given a gift to have it taken away. Should I have had it to begin with? I really have no idea.

It just showed up on my account when I checked it after reading this article.

Tesla's Premium Connectivity rejoins some owners for free

The complete lack of communication on getting and losing Lifetime premium is what I find annoying.

I understand what your saying. Having something free even if it’s not entitled, taken away, sucks.
However, you could think of it differently. You may have had a month or two free. :)

My account shows the same expired status, but my car still shows Premium Connectivity as an included item.

Has anyone actually seen the feature disappear from their car, as opposed to their web account? If not, I'm wondering if this is just a change to how subscriptions are shown on the web site that happened to not properly handle the relatively rare case of people who had Premium Connectivity as a subscription and then were transitioned to having it for free. The vast majority of owners will either (for 2018 or earlier purchasers) have always had it for free or (for later purchasers) have had it as a subscription option, after all. ***

***= Yes I know that it wasn't available on SR+ models for quite a while and then everyone got a free preview. However, it was always intended to be subscription for post-2018 buyers.

In the end, I'm much more concerned with what the car shows than the online account.

My account shows the same expired status, but my car still shows Premium Connectivity as an included item.

Has anyone actually seen the feature disappear from their car, as opposed to their web account? If not, I'm wondering if this is just a change to how subscriptions are shown on the web site that happened to not properly handle the relatively rare case of people who had Premium Connectivity as a subscription and then were transitioned to having it for free. The vast majority of owners will either (for 2018 or earlier purchasers) have always had it for free or (for later purchasers) have had it as a subscription option, after all. ***

***= Yes I know that it wasn't available on SR+ models for quite a while and then everyone got a free preview. However, it was always intended to be subscription for post-2018 buyers.

In the end, I'm much more concerned with what the car shows than the online account.

I am chatting with a few owners in the local club and it seems as though there are a few people who have this strange information in the online account, as described above by others, and the car still seems to register Premium Connectivity as an included package.

One other little note: I understand that maybe Tesla intended lifetime Premium Connectivity to be discontinued in Canada at the same time as the USA, but if they failed to update the website in Canada, and if it was not explicitly described anywhere else (except in a couple of forums), then a purchaser (like myself) who actively looked for information pertaining to Premium Connectivity and only found information describing it as an "Included Package" on the Canadian Tesla Website should expect it to be included as part of the purchase, in continuum and without change or additional charge.

My car is still showing as Premium Connectivity: Included package as well within the car.
I have a suspicion that once the car is "rebooted" that will change. I don't want to test it.

But maybe I am wrong and the website is just messed up.
Either way I am over it. If I lose Premium Connectivity then so be it. I will try it without and see if I miss it and if it is worth $13.99 a month to me.

Same here, the Tesla account says no more premium connectivity (got the car in Dec 2019) but I can still watch Netflix over LTE and the car says "included package".

We'll see what happens next. It was clear to me from the beginning that premium connectivity would last for only a year, so I'm not gonna fight a legal battle over $13.99 a month.

My car is still showing as Premium Connectivity: Included package as well within the car.
I have a suspicion that once the car is "rebooted" that will change. I don't want to test it.

But maybe I am wrong and the website is just messed up.
Either way I am over it. If I lose Premium Connectivity then so be it. I will try it without and see if I miss it and if it is worth $13.99 a month to me.

Just do a reboot. Let us know.

• Disagree
Reactions: Murky-Article
Same here, the Tesla account says no more premium connectivity (got the car in Dec 2019) but I can still watch Netflix over LTE and the car says "included package".

We'll see what happens next. It was clear to me from the beginning that premium connectivity would last for only a year, so I'm not gonna fight a legal battle over $13.99 a month.

Same here. Exact same situation. Account says expires, car says included, and account will not even let me add it.

Just curious if anyone has an update to this or an explanation from Tesla on how the "limited population of owners" was selected. I tried with the support chat but got nowhere ... just the same canned response with no reasoning or logic.

There was a time when the Tesla Canada web site would state, or at least lead you to believe, that premium connectivity was included with the Premium interior. I know I had factored that into my decision to buy a LR AWD. I think that everyone who bought within that timeframe was given the connectivity for free because a group sued or threatened to sue over that. The web site was fixed around the time they took the decision. I guess you could use the Google "way back" machine to try to see the Tesla Canada web site at various periods to see when that happened.
I bought in early November 2019 and got a 2020 model delivered around christmas 2019 and I was part of that settlement.

I bought in January 2020 and I remember the web site did not mention an expiry for the premium interior. Way Back machine confirms it that it didnt on that date. Just frustrating as it seems they granted it randomly.

I have an SR+, ordered May/June 2019, delivered August 2019. I never had premium connectivity (and with an SR+, I didn't expect it) until it rolled out as a monthly paid subscription. I paid for a couple of months, and then it became free, and it's stayed that way since then. Maybe the language on the site was not clear, but I thought at the time that the LR and Performance cars had it for life, and the other cars got nothing. But maybe that's because I was doing research here and other places on the web.

I have questions about Premium Connectivity. My free one year of Premium Connectivity will expire in May. I am not inclined to renew it, as I rarely use the features. The one thing that I would like, however, that I do not currently have is Spotify. How does Spotify work in a Tesla? Do I need Premium Connectivity plus a Tesla-specific Spotify account? Or do I just need a Tesla-specific Spotify account, with out a need for Premium Connectivity? Or do I just need any Spotify account, without a need for a Tesla-specific Spotify account or Premium Connectivity?

To use Spotify in your car if you have premium connectivity, you enter your existing Spotify credentials into the app in the car. You can also use Bluetooth to stream Spotify from your phone without premium.

• Helpful
Reactions: chinney
My attitude is - around town, I don't need premium. As long as the maps work, etc. not urgent. Worst case, I can watch Netflix on my phone.

I figure it might be something worthwhile to subscribe to when I go on a road trip (remember those?). It would be useful when out-of-province or out-of-country, when supercharging on a trip, etc. As I understood the information, you could subscribe by the month and turn it off when you didn't need it.