Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've opted not to subscribe during the pandemic as I'm not driving often enough. However, I'm having trouble using my hotspot/ tether from my phone. It keeps bumping between Wi-Fi and LTE and since I don't have the plan the car tries reconnecting. I also noticed parked at home my car bounces off and on the WiFi is this normal??

I've opted not to subscribe during the pandemic as I'm not driving often enough. However, I'm having trouble using my hotspot/ tether from my phone. It keeps bumping between Wi-Fi and LTE and since I don't have the plan the car tries reconnecting. I also noticed parked at home my car bounces off and on the WiFi is this normal??

When the car goes to sleep-mode, it would disconnect WiFi. So, I would expect it will connect/disconnect to WiFi as the car goes in and out of sleep mode.

Sad news from Tesla....
I revived my old email threads regards to premium connectivity package with Tesla. This is their response after I referenced the website article. I'm more disappointed then upset. I'm not sure what's the logic of who's getting this perk!!

Hello Andrew,

We have granted Premium Connectivity to a limited population of owners. This is for the lifetime of their ownership and a gesture of goodwill. If your car was not granted Premium Connectivity, it is not included in this limited population. If you would like to maintain or activate Premium Connectivity, you can subscribe from your Tesla Account. Please visit our Connectivity support page for more details on the Connectivity package and answers to frequently asked questions.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. Thank you for your support in transitioning the world to sustainable forms of energy consumption.

Best,

Jenny | Tesla Support

12832 Frontrunner Blvd., Draper, UT 84020

https://www.tesla.com/support
Sorry, I'm not trying to rub it in, and I'm late to the party, but I feel like I'm missing something. It sounds like nobody knows how this "limited population of owners" was selected? As a recipient (purchase June 2019), I'm grateful of course, but hearing from fellow owners who mysteriously didn't also get it is puzzling/confusing/seems unfair, given that I have heard no reasoning behind this.

Reactions: corlaandstan
Assuming the limited population seems to be a group of people within a certain time frame, my best guess is that this group of people "ordered" within that time frame that Tesla site or contract might be ambiguous about the connectivity.

The reasoning I think it's quite simple. Tesla has close to 0 marketing expenditure and all the "marketing" comes from their users and the news outlets (for good or bad reasons). The last thing they want is to leave a tainted mark on their users' words of mouth.

Assuming the limited population seems to be a group of people within a certain time frame, my best guess is that this group of people "ordered" within that time frame that Tesla site or contract might be ambiguous about the connectivity.

The reasoning I think it's quite simple. Tesla has close to 0 marketing expenditure and all the "marketing" comes from their users and the news outlets (for good or bad reasons). The last thing they want is to leave a tainted mark on their users' words of mouth.
They just did.

Reactions: pcons
Sorry, I'm not trying to rub it in, and I'm late to the party, but I feel like I'm missing something. It sounds like nobody knows how this "limited population of owners" was selected? As a recipient (purchase June 2019), I'm grateful of course, but hearing from fellow owners who mysteriously didn't also get it is puzzling/confusing/seems unfair, given that I have heard no reasoning behind this.

If you look at the canadian tesla site on webarchive, you can see that:
- Early 2018 to december 2018: No mention of premium connectivity or options related to premium connectivity
- December 2018 to mars 2019: We can see limited time options of Premium connectivity for LR/MR (1 year) and SR+ (3 months)
- March 2019 to march 2020: We can see NO limited time options of Premium connectivity for LR only. No mention for SR+
- March 2020 to today: We can see limited time options of Premium connectivity for LR (1 year) and SR+ (3 months)

For the SR+ ordered during the periode of march 2019 and march 2020, I think that if the car came with options that is not listed, you can assume that these options come with the car.
It's like buying a car from Honda and it comes with a leather steering wheel and that it is not listed in the sales brochure. After 1 year, when you change your oil at the dealer, the dealer will take it away without your permission.
I think that it should be the same for all the cars ordered before december 2018.

31 oct 2018.JPG

23 dec 2018.JPG

8 mars 2019.JPG

2 avril 2020.JPG

- Early 2018 to december 2018: No mention of premium connectivity or options related to premium connectivity
- December 2018 to mars 2019: We can see limited time options of Premium connectivity for LR/MR (1 year) and SR+ (3 months)
- March 2019 to march 2020: We can see NO limited time options of Premium connectivity for LR only. No mention for SR+
- March 2020 to today: We can see limited time options of Premium connectivity for LR (1 year) and SR+ (3 months)

For the SR+ ordered during the periode of march 2019 and march 2020, I think that if the car came with options that is not listed, you can assume that these options come with the car.
It's like buying a car from Honda and it comes with a leather steering wheel and that it is not listed in the sales brochure. After 1 year, when you change your oil at the dealer, the dealer will take it away without your permission.
I think that it should be the same for all the cars ordered before december 2018.

View attachment 602342

View attachment 602340

View attachment 602339

View attachment 602338

I found your information valuable and I think you are on the correct path; however, if you look at my posts earlier in this thread, you will see I was posting screenshots later than March 2020 showing misleading information about Premium Connectivity in Canada. However, your reasoning does make sense.

Mine is an SR+ and was delivered in March ‘20. I subscribed to premium for 1 month between mid of August to mid of September.
I can confirm I’m not part of this limited group since the option to subscribe & pay is still there and my account is showing standard connectivity.

View attachment 602342

View attachment 602340

View attachment 602339

View attachment 602338
This makes sense, however it still really leaves ambiguity on the pre dec 2018 folks on here, and hopefully Tesla will make things right and extend the dates back to July 2018 orders (not including before July/18 as we all now know before July 1st free premium was included and its those of us between July 1 and March 2019 that seem to have been excluded from this group.....)

I just did a support chat to see if I could get a refund on the $15.xx I was charged for premium connectivity on the day my account was flipped over to have free premium connectivity and was told there is no option available to do a refund. I'm not overly concerned - I was going to pay for it this month regardless, and I'll have it free going afterwards, but wanted to share what they are saying.

Oddly, I was told that I was selected "at random" for free premium connectivity as a goodwill gesture. I wonder if that's new terminology to deal with concerns from people who didn't get it. It's not a "limited" set of people, it's random!

I just did a support chat to see if I could get a refund on the $15.xx I was charged for premium connectivity on the day my account was flipped over to have free premium connectivity and was told there is no option available to do a refund. I'm not overly concerned - I was going to pay for it this month regardless, and I'll have it free going afterwards, but wanted to share what they are saying.

Oddly, I was told that I was selected "at random" for free premium connectivity as a goodwill gesture. I wonder if that's new terminology to deal with concerns from people who didn't get it. It's not a "limited" set of people, it's random!
Just saw my CC charges today, Tesla charged me 88 cents. Must of been for a day of premium service before I was flipped over to FREEMIUM.

Reactions: akidesir
I do remember missing out on the July 1st 2018 cut-off and I seem to remember knowing about this before I ordered and being a bit disappointed as the only reason I didn't order earlier was due to me moving house. But for people who didn't know about it and didn't see this info on the order page as it wasn't clear I can see how it'd be misleading.

This makes sense, however it still really leaves ambiguity on the pre dec 2018 folks on here, and hopefully Tesla will make things right and extend the dates back to July 2018 orders (not including before July/18 as we all now know before July 1st free premium was included and its those of us between July 1 and March 2019 that seem to have been excluded from this group.....)

I'm on the same boat and disappointed with Tesla's decision not to include us (who missed by couple of days). The email invite to order didn't even mention about the losing lifetime premium connectivity.

I had the Premium Connectivity package for life reinstalled about two months ago. Now, it has been again removed from my account (and a bunch of other people in Saskatchewan as well).

What a complete and utter mess caused by Tesla.

From, a Tesla Fan.

P.S. After having communicated with Tesla a bunch, and proving to them that their current website (last year) was still incorrect, and after finally having my Premium Connectivity reinstated, I now have to again talk to someone who is going to accuse me (again) of making this up or not understanding the situation. This is too depressing.

Last edited:
Here is what I wrote to Tesla:

Good afternoon Justin,

You are managing to turn a huge Tesla fan into a Tesla hater. Please see our correspondence below. In short, and as already proven, in Canada Tesla sold the Long Range M3 with unlimited Premium Connectivity as advertised on March 2019 on the Canadian version of the Tesla website. I have already proven this to your group. In fact, while on the telephone with Tesla Support Leadership Team earlier in 2020 I was able to prove that Tesla was still showing misleading advertising while on the telephone to your group!!! This rapidly got changed, on the website, very shortly after my advice. I also provided evidence, in the form of a newspaper article, that Elon admitted this misleading practice in New Zealand and gave customers back their Premium Connectivity.

The advertising by Tesla was so fraudulent that a group in Quebec started a class action lawsuit against Tesla for taking away lifetime Premium Connectivity that had been paid for by customers in Canada.

Then, you started to see some sense. A bunch of people started getting the Premium Connectivity they paid for reinstated to their accounts a couple of months ago. On October 17th, 2020, I got my Lifetime Premium Connectivity reinstated to my vehicle (that I had already paid for).

Jenny, from Tesla Support said: “We have granted Premium Connectivity to a limited population of owners. This is for the lifetime of their ownership and a gesture of goodwill. If your car was not granted Premium Connectivity, it is not included in this limited population.”

As of this morning, my lifetime Premium Connectivity has again flipped back to a subscription package that I have to pay for.

How does any of this make sense? How can you honestly justify this and still call yourself Tesla SUPPORT? This is not support.

Regards,

Here is what I wrote to Tesla:

Good afternoon Justin,

You are managing to turn a huge Tesla fan into a Tesla hater. Please see our correspondence below. In short, and as already proven, in Canada Tesla sold the Long Range M3 with unlimited Premium Connectivity as advertised on March 2019 on the Canadian version of the Tesla website. I have already proven this to your group. In fact, while on the telephone with Tesla Support Leadership Team earlier in 2020 I was able to prove that Tesla was still showing misleading advertising while on the telephone to your group!!! This rapidly got changed, on the website, very shortly after my advice. I also provided evidence, in the form of a newspaper article, that Elon admitted this misleading practice in New Zealand and gave customers back their Premium Connectivity.

The advertising by Tesla was so fraudulent that a group in Quebec started a class action lawsuit against Tesla for taking away lifetime Premium Connectivity that had been paid for by customers in Canada.

Then, you started to see some sense. A bunch of people started getting the Premium Connectivity they paid for reinstated to their accounts a couple of months ago. On October 17th, 2020, I got my Lifetime Premium Connectivity reinstated to my vehicle (that I had already paid for).

Jenny, from Tesla Support said: “We have granted Premium Connectivity to a limited population of owners. This is for the lifetime of their ownership and a gesture of goodwill. If your car was not granted Premium Connectivity, it is not included in this limited population.”

As of this morning, my lifetime Premium Connectivity has again flipped back to a subscription package that I have to pay for.

How does any of this make sense? How can you honestly justify this and still call yourself Tesla SUPPORT? This is not support.

Regards,

I assume you bought your car during the time frame that the website neglected to state premium connectivity was a paid service. This would entitle you to it. Otherwise, it’s not a service you should get for free.
There is a small group of people this applies to.
It was later changed, so if you’re in that time frame, I’m sure you will get it back free.

On a side note. This forum has a ton of haters already for various reasons.
Life is short to hate over something like this. Don’t go from a fan to a hater because they took away something you shouldn’t have had for free in the first place. (Assuming of course you bought after the connectivity messaging was fixed).
If you are entitled to free premium connectivity, I’m sure you’ll get it, and again I on not hating. :)

I assume you bought your car during the time frame that the website neglected to state premium connectivity was a paid service. This would entitle you to it. Otherwise, it’s not a service you should get for free.
There is a small group of people this applies to.
It was later changed, so if you’re in that time frame, I’m sure you will get it back free.

On a side note. This forum has a ton of haters already for various reasons.
Life is short to hate over something like this. Don’t go from a fan to a hater because they took away something you shouldn’t have had for free in the first place. (Assuming of course you bought after the connectivity messaging was fixed).
If you are entitled to free premium connectivity, I’m sure you’ll get it, and again I on not hating. :)

Yes, I agree I need to fix my attitude. Just, very disappointed.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Yes, I agree I need to fix my attitude. Just, very disappointed.

Well I have the same attitude. I just feel disappointed with Tesla.
I'm one of those affected. I was one of the group gifted lifetime premium connectivity and then without notice it was removed from my account.
To me it's like being given a gift to have it taken away. Should I have had it to begin with? I really have no idea.

It just showed up on my account when I checked it after reading this article.

Tesla's Premium Connectivity rejoins some owners for free

The complete lack of communication on getting and losing Lifetime premium is what I find annoying.

Reactions: WattPwr