Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My attitude is - around town, I don't need premium. As long as the maps work, etc. not urgent. Worst case, I can watch Netflix on my phone.

I figure it might be something worthwhile to subscribe to when I go on a road trip (remember those?). It would be useful when out-of-province or out-of-country, when supercharging on a trip, etc. As I understood the information, you could subscribe by the month and turn it off when you didn't need it.
You can hotspot if you have lots of data.

Looks like mine stopped working today (was marked as expired for a couple of weeks). The class action is still underway in Quebec, right?

We all have to not subscribe so Tesla lowers the price. Unfortunately like most people, I don't see more than a $50 a year value for premium connectivity. Who actually watches movies? So 14 dollars a month is for satellite view and inferior music streaming. I'd like a way to leverage your phone data through Bluetooth for maps, music etc and then it can allow us to set the bitrate of our music since we would be using our own data.

I haven't done the math to figure it out but isn't the cost relatively the same as other countries when you remove the cost of internet?
Having seen the prices in other countries and their wireless costs, it seemed to be 'close enough' to be written off as that.

I guess it's all relative. The price of cell phone internet is so high here that I wouldn't want to use my cell phone for data if I was streaming music in reasonably high quality. 12$ per month would really not give that much data on the phone, not enough to cover the multiple GB per month of streaming required. Getting unlimited music streaming (at mid-quality), media streaming (Netflix, youtube) if I want it, internet browser access, traffic display on the map, satellite imagery if I so choose, is well worth it. It happens I got it free but I would pay for it otherwise. Obviously, to each his own.

Personally I feel that the pricing should be around $10 per month max. A yearly price of $100 would be even better and I would simply pay it. It still does sting that I thought it was included with the car when I bought it.

I'm testing right now using streaming from my mobile phone and using hot spot whenever I want to watch YouTube or Netflix. I do miss the satellite view maps but so far looks like I'm very far away from using anything near my 10GB shared plan. Justifying $14 plus tax just for satellite view doesn't seem worth it.

My car just expired 2days ago and got an email to buy for $14 a month , so I decided ok fine I’ll pay for it went to the Tesla app opened it up to the page where it has all my info and the cars info . Search around can’t find where to buy so I click on my cars info and there it says premium connection free unlimited

Attachments

• 3DC7D0C5-0913-40FC-B44E-A88746FF6581.png
    3DC7D0C5-0913-40FC-B44E-A88746FF6581.png
    271.7 KB · Views: 163
Reactions: Arctic_White
Yes, looks like you lucked out and have it for free. By the way, your VIN is showing on the photo.

Frustrating since they dont seem to have any logic to who gets it free. My VIN is less than 10 away from yours. You got your delivery in March, 2020 right?

It cost Tesla 1c / MB to provide the connectivity...it's over cellular, and unfortunately it's not cheap. 1c/MB = $10/GB, so it's not like they make any money if you are streaming video.
Is this figure correct? At the volume Tesla is using, they must have worked out a wholesale rate with whichever carrier they are partnering with. And I remember the wholesale rate (including roaming on partners' network) a few years back was already in cents per GB of data transfer. It's so cheap that carriers such as Telcel/ATT in Mexico and pretty much all major carriers in the US offer "free" roaming in the entire North America (Canada/US/Mexico) at full speed and only limited to the data cap on any individual plan.

Data is much cheaper in bulk and really does not cost a carrier much more, it's all markup in the end. I have 8gb of data on my plan for 45 dollars. I'd really like to use this instead of paying an extra 15 dollars for a few GB a month tied exclusively to a car I'm not even driving now :)

Is this figure correct? At the volume Tesla is using, they must have worked out a wholesale rate with whichever carrier they are partnering with. And I remember the wholesale rate (including roaming on partners' network) a few years back was already in cents per GB of data transfer. It's so cheap that carriers such as Telcel/ATT in Mexico and pretty much all major carriers in the US offer "free" roaming in the entire North America (Canada/US/Mexico) at full speed and only limited to the data cap on any individual plan.
Yeah, it's right ;), it's with TELUS. Wholesale deals aren't like retail, it's billed per MB like an "IOT". Tesla's usage is unprecedented compared to other car makers that use like 50 MB per month. The deal was done 2 years ago, I'm sure in the future it will come way down.