Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity in CPO MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if anyone knew if my Certified Pre Owned Model X (Sept 2016 build) that I purchased in Oct 2018 should have premium connectivity for life. The car is telling me it expires Dec 31 but I wanted to see if I should contact Tesla about it.

Thanks!

• Disagree
Reactions: sacfan
No. Due to the Oct 2018 pick up date, your premium connectivity will not be free. Hence, starting 1/1/2020, you'll be paying $10 a month for pretty much live traffic. Netflix and other video streaming apps aren't available. Web browser takes forever to load with MCU1.

I just sent this to Tesla. There is nothing in the purchase agreement nor was it communicated to me regarding the cutoff date of "trial period".

Dear TESLA
[email protected]:

I am sending this letter with regard to my “premium connectivity” being deactivated on December 31, 2019. This notice appeared in my car which I noticed yesterday, December 20, 2019. I am sending this email to [email protected] as it is outlined in my Tesla vehicle purchase agreement.

Many Tesla owners have written they were notified verbally and/or in written form their “premium connectivity” was a trial with a term of one year from purchase of their vehicle. I purchased a 2014 Tesla Model S w/ Tech Package from you, Tesla, in January of 2019. I have included my purchase details and my agreement in this email. This notice was neither verbally communicated nor is it included in any of my purchase documentation. The terms and conditions of my Tesla Motor Vehicle Order Agreement clearly states, “These Terms & Conditions are effective as of the date you place your order and make your Order Payment (the “Order Date”).”

I am requesting you honor our purchase agreement and permanently remove this limitation from my vehicle before the expiration of what you now call “premium connectivity” on or before December 31, 2019. This is my desired resolution. If this requires arbitration, please notify me as soon as possible.

• Love
Reactions: dzmconstr
I just sent this to Tesla. There is nothing in the purchase agreement nor was it communicated to me regarding the cutoff date of "trial period".

Dear TESLA
[email protected]:

I am sending this letter with regard to my “premium connectivity” being deactivated on December 31, 2019. This notice appeared in my car which I noticed yesterday, December 20, 2019. I am sending this email to [email protected] as it is outlined in my Tesla vehicle purchase agreement.

Many Tesla owners have written they were notified verbally and/or in written form their “premium connectivity” was a trial with a term of one year from purchase of their vehicle. I purchased a 2014 Tesla Model S w/ Tech Package from you, Tesla, in January of 2019. I have included my purchase details and my agreement in this email. This notice was neither verbally communicated nor is it included in any of my purchase documentation. The terms and conditions of my Tesla Motor Vehicle Order Agreement clearly states, “These Terms & Conditions are effective as of the date you place your order and make your Order Payment (the “Order Date”).”

I am requesting you honor our purchase agreement and permanently remove this limitation from my vehicle before the expiration of what you now call “premium connectivity” on or before December 31, 2019. This is my desired resolution. If this requires arbitration, please notify me as soon as possible.

Any updates from Tesla?

Any updates from Tesla?
Update is that I didn't receive a response from their legal department or their resolutions department. Tesla support just kept sending me a form email saying, "all cars come with standard connectivity, blah blah." Support did acknowledge my frustration in my not being aware. However, my frustration is not being informed by Tesla.

I agree with you regarding the supercharging, but that is exactly why I'm not letting this go. If you notice, used Teslas that had unlimited supercharging for the life of the car are now being sold by Tesla WITHOUT unlimited supercharging. My argument is that if I just pay the money, who's to day they won't take something else away that people purchased with their cars.

It's a pain in the butt, but I've send a formal letter of demand and filled for arbitration. I'll keep everyone updated on the process. Meanwhile, Tesla has turned off connectivity in my car. No streaming music, which is my favorite thing about the car. Basic navigation still works. The Tesla App no longer works at all. So I can't turn on the heat or air or do any function the app allowed us all to do.

Arbitration will be interesting. Their is nothing in my contract that says anything about this "premium" trial. I'd be interested in seeing if anyone else was not informed that purchased a CPO/Used Tesla. I've asked people who have a Model 3 and all of them told me they were informed of the trial.

Update is that I didn't receive a response from their legal department or their resolutions department. Tesla support just kept sending me a form email saying, "all cars come with standard connectivity, blah blah." Support did acknowledge my frustration in my not being aware. However, my frustration is not being informed by Tesla.

I agree with you regarding the supercharging, but that is exactly why I'm not letting this go. If you notice, used Teslas that had unlimited supercharging for the life of the car are now being sold by Tesla WITHOUT unlimited supercharging. My argument is that if I just pay the money, who's to day they won't take something else away that people purchased with their cars.

It's a pain in the butt, but I've send a formal letter of demand and filled for arbitration. I'll keep everyone updated on the process. Meanwhile, Tesla has turned off connectivity in my car. No streaming music, which is my favorite thing about the car. Basic navigation still works. The Tesla App no longer works at all. So I can't turn on the heat or air or do any function the app allowed us all to do.

Arbitration will be interesting. Their is nothing in my contract that says anything about this "premium" trial. I'd be interested in seeing if anyone else was not informed that purchased a CPO/Used Tesla. I've asked people who have a Model 3 and all of them told me they were informed of the trial.

Add me to that list, I bought my S in Nov 2018 and none of my paperwork states anything about premium connectivity. It simply popped up in my mcu after an update.

Add me to that list, I bought my S in Nov 2018 and none of my paperwork states anything about premium connectivity. It simply popped up in my mcu after an update.
I promise I'll keep everyone informed. Also, the more people that let me know they weren't informed AND they don't have it in their contract, the better. I can let the arbitrator know that. It sounds to me that Tesla didn't inform CPO or New Model S and X owners, but I don't know how widespread that is.

It's fine that Tesla needs to charge for connectivity going forward. It makes sense given the features they are now adding regarding streaming services, but they of course have to let people know they are going to be charged.

I completely understand Tesla now charging for connectivity. Like you though, I just have an issue with them not notifying me when I bought the car that it would go away.

I wrote to their resolutions department and told them the same thing, “when I bought my pre-owned car from Tesla in November 2018, the sales advisor touted the connectivity and music streaming as a feature of the car but never stated, nor did I receive paperwork stating it was ever going away.”

They responded with this:

Hello Will,

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla.
I am sorry to hear you did not have the experience you were expecting regarding Premium Connectivity. I have reviewed your account and can confirm your vehicle does not qualify for free Premium Connectivity based on the order date. Your feedback is greatly appreciated so we can continue to improve the owner experience.

As for the Premium Connectivity package you have requested, you can purchase for the monthly rate as shown in your Tesla.com account. Your request for free Premium Connectivity is declined as we are holding all owners to this same standard and as your vehicle was ordered after 06/30/18 it is not eligible.

All cars come with Standard Connectivity which provides access to most connectivity features over Wi-Fi only, in addition to basic maps and navigation and music streaming over Bluetooth®. For all Model S, Model X and Model 3 with Premium Interior ordered on or after July 1, 2018, a Premium Connectivity trial is provided for one year, beginning at the delivery date. After the trial ends, Premium Connectivity will be available as a subscription via your Tesla Account.
For more information regarding Connectivity please visit the link below.

Connectivity
We thank you for supporting Tesla in our mission to accelerate sustainable energy.

Regards,

Justin E | Tesla Support Leadership Team
12832 Frontrunner Blvd., Draper, UT 84020
Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support

• Informative
Reactions: forkee
I completely understand Tesla now charging for connectivity. Like you though, I just have an issue with them not notifying me when I bought the car that it would go away.

I wrote to their resolutions department and told them the same thing, “when I bought my pre-owned car from Tesla in November 2018, the sales advisor touted the connectivity and music streaming as a feature of the car but never stated, nor did I receive paperwork stating it was ever going away.”

Hello Will,

I am sorry to hear you did not have the experience you were expecting regarding Premium Connectivity. I have reviewed your account and can confirm your vehicle does not qualify for free Premium Connectivity based on the order date. Your feedback is greatly appreciated so we can continue to improve the owner experience.

As for the Premium Connectivity package you have requested, you can purchase for the monthly rate as shown in your Tesla.com account. Your request for free Premium Connectivity is declined as we are holding all owners to this same standard and as your vehicle was ordered after 06/30/18 it is not eligible.

All cars come with Standard Connectivity which provides access to most connectivity features over Wi-Fi only, in addition to basic maps and navigation and music streaming over Bluetooth®. For all Model S, Model X and Model 3 with Premium Interior ordered on or after July 1, 2018, a Premium Connectivity trial is provided for one year, beginning at the delivery date. After the trial ends, Premium Connectivity will be available as a subscription via your Tesla Account.

Connectivity
We thank you for supporting Tesla in our mission to accelerate sustainable energy.

Regards,

Hi Will,
I have the same problem. Bought mine December 2018. Salesman talked highly of the service but never said it was temporary or a charge, never informed otherwise by Tesla. My service stopped working in November after one of the updates even though the expiration date was December 31, 2019
Did you buy the premium?

Hi Will,
I have the same problem. Bought mine December 2018. Salesman talked highly of the service but never said it was temporary or a charge, never informed otherwise by Tesla. My service stopped working in November after one of the updates even though the expiration date was December 31, 2019
Did you buy the premium?

TraceyO,

I don’t have the premium interior. In fact mine has what they used to call Tech Package with just the cloth interior and standard radio, not the premium audio.

What’s interesting is that I bought my car in November of 2018, but December 31, 2019 came and went and I still have connectivity. Also if we follow Tesla’s rules to the letter my connectivity should have expired in November, one year after I purchased my car.

Hello Will,

Connectivity

Regards,

I received the exact same form letter. It’s a stock response. I’ll let you know how this turns out since Tesla just called and they are addressing this.

Meanwhile, Tesla has turned off connectivity in my car. No streaming music, which is my favorite thing about the car. Basic navigation still works. The Tesla App no longer works at all. So I can't turn on the heat or air or do any function the app allowed us all to do.

I also refused to pay for premium connectivity out of principle, but my app still works fine. I don't see any documentation that app access is tied to premium connectivity either. It might be worth looking into that as a bug rather than something that was purposefully shut off.

Just in the last week, the website detailing Premium Connectivity was updated for used vehicles.
Ordering a Used Tesla

It currently says:

What type of connectivity will my used Tesla come with?
All used Tesla cars purchased on or before January 8, 2020 will continue to have Premium Connectivity at no cost for the lifetime of the car, and will be active for future owners if sold privately.

All used Tesla cars purchased on or after January 9, 2020 will receive Standard Connectivity and are eligible to upgrade to Premium Connectivity. A 30-Day trial of Premium Connectivity is provided on delivery and can be upgraded to Premium Connectivity from the Tesla Account.

Hey Robert,

I just got a phone call from Tesla stating that under their used car program, my car will in fact retain the premium connectivity. They stated there was no documentation when I bought it that it would expire so it is remaining on the car for the life of the vehicle. Hope you got the same call.

480FACDE-86EE-48E1-87A4-F40E5537AED5.png
Hey Robert,

I just got a phone call from Tesla stating that under their used car program, my car will in fact retain the premium connectivity. They stated there was no documentation when I bought it that it would expire so it is remaining on the car for the life of the vehicle. Hope you got the same call.
Correct. That’s what arbitration will get you. Now I have to get my $200 back from them that I had to pay to file the arbitration. According to our contract they are supposed to pay for arbitration.

They updated their used car website to reflect the new program and called me an hour ago to confirm lifetime connectivity for my car. It is also reflected in my Tesla account.

BE609ABF-B96B-4BED-ACFF-67A4F6FE255A.png