Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity Message When Starting Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So those of us that like to use USB audio know that the USB player is terrible and often doesn't restart when you get back into the car. But now I have a new message, the car is telling me that I don't have Premium Connectivity when I get into the car, and I have to then close that and go back into USB, select a song, and start playing from scratch. I know I don't have Premium Connectivity, that is by design as I don't need it. Is anyone else expericing this and have a fix? I assume it's something that changed in the last update because I have never had the car bug me about it before.

Bump. Here’s what the message looks like. This is supposed to be the USB player. 🙄 At least that’s where I left it
364A2F2E-6338-4235-9DFF-C0FEFC876424.jpeg

I've had my car (parked with USB music running) start up without music playing (the USB drive is still plugged in and recognized, however.) It's common for the USB playback to "forget" where it left off.

So maybe it's no longer playing from USB and trying to switch to whatever your previous music source was?

Reactions: SWIPE
So those of us that like to use USB audio know that the USB player is terrible and often doesn't restart when you get back into the car. But now I have a new message, the car is telling me that I don't have Premium Connectivity when I get into the car, and I have to then close that and go back into USB, select a song, and start playing from scratch. I know I don't have Premium Connectivity, that is by design as I don't need it. Is anyone else expericing this and have a fix? I assume it's something that changed in the last update because I have never had the car bug me about it before.
I'm in the same boat with you. USB music, doesn't seem to automatically start once car has slept (it will if it hasn't slept), and now I too get that Premium Connectivity message with the latest update, and I too don't want connectivity or the message. Would be nice if I only would have to accept the notification once, but each time into the car. Sigh.

Ya, I think it's because the audio source defaults to Tidal no matter what you used last. And if you aren't on Wifi or Premium Connectivity you can't use Tidal, so you get that message. I wish I could just turn off all sources but USB but it forces you to keep at least 4 sources active. Maybe I can try turning off any that would require Premium Connectivity and see if that messages goes away...

Yes, Tesla continues to (purposely?) degrade and marginalize the USB music experience over time. As somebody who's been collecting music for over 30 years and is passionate about it, it's infuriating. I've surmised that Tesla does this purposely to maximize their revenue stream from premium connectivity but have been called a conspiracy theorist. You decide.

If I had the opportunity to trade my M3P for a Kia EV6 right now, I'd be so gone...

Yes, Tesla continues to (purposely?) degrade and marginalize the USB music experience over time. As somebody who's been collecting music for over 30 years and is passionate about it, it's infuriating. I've surmised that Tesla does this purposely to maximize their revenue stream from premium connectivity but have been called a conspiracy theorist. You decide.

If I had the opportunity to trade my M3P for a Kia EV6 right now, I'd be so gone...
Tesla’s music interface leaves a lot to be desired, but I’d rather rig up an old Sparkomatic 8-track cassette adapter to use for my music than drive a Kia again.

I can't even figure the HD radio out (I only get HD1 for every station but I know these same stations have HD2, HD3...etc counterparts) Wondering if that's functionality they removed. It's brutal to have such an amazing interface yet still have to use my phone for so many things.

I can't believe that they don't even offer basic ipod functionality that other manufactures have been offering for decades. It would make things so much easier for owners that don't want to stream music.

I can't believe that they don't even offer basic ipod functionality that other manufactures have been offering for decades. It would make things so much easier for owners that don't want to stream music.
I have a sneaking suspicion that Tesla KNOWS what everyone uses and that USB playback is a very low percentage. Hence, they won't be putting much effort into it.

This is not based on anything I have read or heard, just my pure speculation. (I hate the interface, so I hope I am wrong.)