Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity Package and Order Date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any car company that provides navigation and internet streaming for free? Hmm...
Maybe when Tesla does start charging they can put those revenues to use and improve what they currently provide (my optimistic hope).
All owners have previously been blessed with it and Tesla was clear with them that it would only be available for a specific period of time. And like most companies...Tesla wants to survive and be Sustainable...
What do most car companies charge for navigation packages these days?
$2k average? if Tesla is charging $100 per year (estimate) and you keep your car for 10 years... you do the math.
I currently pay over $265 for two cars each year just for satellite radio and this does not include internet...

Agreed, and for comparison: Chevy Bolt connectivity Plans & Costs :cool:

Chevy Connectivity & Technology: Infotainment System

upload_2018-6-23_21-36-45-png.312005

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Yikes. I wouldn't have that shat in my garage to begin with but that is SIGNIFICANT money for "unlocking the full potential".

I did not pay for the ridiculous connectivity for Onstar/Data on my Volt (lease - waiting for M3) after the trial.
Right..price is rediculous for what's ofered. Most Bolt owners are reporting that remote unlock and precondition are available without paying for any OnStar plan. Nav, traffic, music can be had with Android Auto or Car Play. Updates can also be done using the Bolt's WiFi connectivity. So, a Bolt owner isn't really losing any features if they chose not to pay for connectivity.

Agreed, and for comparison: Chevy Bolt connectivity Plans & Costs :cool:

Chevy Connectivity & Technology: Infotainment System

upload_2018-6-23_21-36-45-png.312005

Ahh GM, Won't ever even walk through their door after 3 years of hell leasing an Equiobnoxious POS.

Did get my revenge on them by walking into showrooms and telling my stories to people about to buy them 3 or 4 times.
Once ,they were actually signing the paperwork and I asked if the guy would like to hear my story before signing, he walked out and I gave the salesman the phone number of the GM "support" person we'd battled with to thank.
Such Fun.

Reactions: m3snowy
Just wanted to point out that Electrek is the only media outlet reporting on this (everyone else is just citing Electrek) and even they haven't cited an official source. Until there is confirmation from Tesla or from other media outlets that have independently verified this (such as an actual statement from Tesla PR), this is all just speculation and is subject to change. As much as I like Electrek and their point of view, this is unfortunately a poorly written news article and borderline fake news.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
So disappointing and sad... First Tesla cheapens the interior of all of their cars... Then they take it one step further by removing ventilated seats... You're paying a significant premium for a base model Kia interior that lacks even the most BASIC features of any other car in it's class... Then, on top of that, you strip out ventilated seats which was a freaking joke... Tesla cheapened it's interiors so much that it had to add the ventilated seats back to the P models to give them SOMETHING beyond a Kia interior...

Now this??? Really...???

Elon is continuing to make it harder than it should be to make me WANT to get another Tesla when my lease is up...

Jeff

Wow, overreaction much?
Let’s point out - we aren’t talking a ten year amortization. The expectation was that it would be chargeable after four years.
So $400 more. BFD on a $55K car.

Actually, I seem to recall when I ordered the Model 3 that Tesla indicated that the cellular service would be free for 1 year, that the 4 year free period applied only to the Modrl S and X. So Model 3 future owners are not being short-changed. Those that ordered early (pre-July 1, 2018) are getting a bonus, that's all.

Actually, I seem to recall when I ordered the Model 3 that Tesla indicated that the cellular service would be free for 1 year, that the 4 year free period applied only to the Modrl S and X. So Model 3 future owners are not being short-changed. Those that ordered early (pre-July 1, 2018) are getting a bonus, that's all.
That’s cool. But why should 3/31 line waiters who would otherwise immediately order AWD or P miss out on that bonus? It would be nice to avoid shortchanging that group regardless of whether the bonus is worth $10 or $1000, and regardless of whether the new pricing model is on par with other companies. And yes, it’s likely much ado about nothing, but I’ve been waiting for over two years and what else is left to talk about? :D

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffK
When I use Tesla nav for a trip and it locates super chargers, I pay for super charging... I don't need anything else from my data connection (well once i get the WiFi update and can do updates that way). Offline maps/nav would be nice - plan the route at home, grab all the needed etc and then it doesn't matter ... more or less

Someone mentioned CarPlay. That works, I already pay a data plan on my phone so..

Well the way I see it, if I'm going to have to use my my phone, the system may as well just have Android auto..., The rest of the Tesla software for maps and audio is just bloat at this point, just like every other car out there. Hopefully there is a way to remove the garbage apps from the menu (maps and music) for those of us who do not want to pay extra. I guess it's time to look for a nice phone or tablet mount to sit next to the large touch screen, and a way to route the charging cables up to it.

BTW for those that don't know, most phones will not allow you to enable the hotspot if your in a dead zone (they do a carrier check first), so you will have to play with your phone while driving to enable the hotspot if you start in a dead zone (like I have to do every single day).
I get that you are frustrated by potentially having to pay more money for a feature you believe should be free and that you feel much of the software is bloat. While I don't agree with that I can certainly appreciate that at this point you might want to cancel your order. I actually think you should cancel (not that you should care what I or anyone else thinks) because most likely there are going to be other things (big and small) which are going to make you unhappy. Seriously, like it or not Tesla is still learning how to become a major player in the car industry and to be happy with the Model 3 you may have to overlook some glitches. Overlooking things however is not for everyone and it may create unhappy customers. This car is not a Toyota Camry or a Honda Accord. You will be unhappy if you expect it to be a car (and from a manufacturer) of that maturity. After 2500 miles I have experienced some minor things with my 3 and I'm sure more will occur but so far I absolutely love the car. For me it is the most satisfying vehicle I have ever owned. If being a Tesla owner however is going to frustrate you then you should cancel and go buy some other vehicle. Like you said, there are now many other EV's for you to choose from.

If being a Tesla owner however is going to frustrate you then you should cancel and go buy some other vehicle. Like you said, there are now many other EV's for you to choose from.

There’s a EV with an electric only drive train that I can drive nationwide without having to plan my route around the use of random availability fast chargers with random payment infrastructure?

Didn’t know I had choices, tell me more please!

• Love
Reactions: jsmay311
I get that you are frustrated by potentially having to pay more money for a feature you believe should be free and that you feel much of the software is bloat. While I don't agree with that I can certainly appreciate that at this point you might want to cancel your order. I actually think you should cancel (not that you should care what I or anyone else thinks) because most likely there are going to be other things (big and small) which are going to make you unhappy. Seriously, like it or not Tesla is still learning how to become a major player in the car industry and to be happy with the Model 3 you may have to overlook some glitches. Overlooking things however is not for everyone and it may create unhappy customers. This car is not a Toyota Camry or a Honda Accord. You will be unhappy if you expect it to be a car (and from a manufacturer) of that maturity. After 2500 miles I have experienced some minor things with my 3 and I'm sure more will occur but so far I absolutely love the car. For me it is the most satisfying vehicle I have ever owned. If being a Tesla owner however is going to frustrate you then you should cancel and go buy some other vehicle. Like you said, there are now many other EV's for you to choose from.
Not sure what this had to do with the car being a Tesla. It's basically a feature delete. Is showing traffic on a map really that data intensive?

comparing to s bolt is unfair, because you have Android auto this essentially allows you to use your phone from the cars screen safely while driving and it's free. So with the model 3 we now basically have to buy a phone mount and play music via Bluetooth just like every other basic car. It pay a monthly fee. Personally I'm sick of all the monthly fees, they add up quick. Maps is the big one, but I want a way to delete it hide all of the streaming music stuff and when browser since won't be using it anyways.

What phone mounts are you all going to get for your 3s so you can use your phones maps and music while driving?

maybe some nfc chips to auto enable your hotspot in a pinch? most people have limited tether and hotspot bandwidth though. So probably best to find some kind of mount you can cleanly run a power cable to....

Last edited:
Reactions: jsmay311 and JeffK
Don't be silly, no one here is literally crying.

I am quite disappointed though. I stood in line, and I've been sitting on my invite since March waiting for white interior to be available, and this essentially means It'll cost me another thousand or more dollars, for the privilege of having to wait for them to start making the version I want. The AWD is still not available to me yet, either.

We are in the same boat, I don't need the AWD though

I don’t need traffic or internet in my car. Streaming radio would be nice but it’s not a necessity either. Right now in my Infiniti I have my iPod plugged in 24/7. Too bad it won’t work in the Model 3. Still blows my mind that an iPod won’t work in this car.
It doesn’t play CDs either. This is 2018. If you don’t like the streaming, or Tune-in, put your music on a USB key.