Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity - Probably a Stupid Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MY is on order, so I am reading up. At the bottom of Tesla's page on Connectivity, what is currently the very last Q&A:

Is Tesla providing the network for connectivity?
No. Your connectivity network is provided by your local telecommunications company and Tesla is not responsible for the connectivity quality or coverage.

By your local telecommunications company. If that your is not a misprint I think it has to be a mistake. The whole point of Premium Connectivity, I thought, was to have Tesla provide internet connectivity through the car's cellular capability. That isn't my telecommunications company, it is Tesla's.

Of course it is entirely possible that I just don't understand it all.

As an aside, assuming I do understand things, is it known what cellular system(s) Tesla is using for their connectivity?

Thanks!

My MY is on order, so I am reading up. At the bottom of Tesla's page on Connectivity, what is currently the very last Q&A:

Is Tesla providing the network for connectivity?
No. Your connectivity network is provided by your local telecommunications company and Tesla is not responsible for the connectivity quality or coverage.

By your local telecommunications company. If that your is not a misprint I think it has to be a mistake. The whole point of Premium Connectivity, I thought, was to have Tesla provide internet connectivity through the car's cellular capability. That isn't my telecommunications company, it is Tesla's.

Of course it is entirely possible that I just don't understand it all.

As an aside, assuming I do understand things, is it known what cellular system(s) Tesla is using for their connectivity?

Thanks!
It is confusing. Tesla's Premium Connectivity service is required for certain Tesla functions to operate including Video (only available when parked) and Music Streaming, Satellite imagery and real-time traffic visualization for Navigation while driving. Unlike other manufacturers Tesla does not currently enable you to connect your personal devices to the internet via the Tesla vehicle's 4G LTE service and WiFi. You can connect your phone to the Tesla vehicle via BT for calls and streaming audio through the Tesla's audio system.

Tesla did recently make a change that enables the Tesla vehicle to connect to your personal device's WiFi hot spot while driving. Previously the Tesla vehicle would only connect to a WiFi network such as your home WiFi network while the Tesla vehicle was parked. Now, if you have an unlimited data plan for your phone, it may make sense to skip the Tesla Premium Connectivity service and use your phone's WiFi as a WiFi hot spot.

WHAT A STUPID QUESTION!!!

Just kidding, I couldn't even answer the question. oh wait, maybe it is a stupid question, but I'm MORE stupid than the question!!!!

Anyway, hope you are lucky enough to enjoy your Model Y as much as I do mine!!!

It's poorly worded but, no, you don't need to provide any kind of network. I think they're basically saying it's through ATT or whoever the local provider they've paired with. Tesla isn't responsible if the connection is poor etc.
This is correct: Tesla provides their own in-car service, over AT&T's cellular network. It's unrelated to your own mobile phone service plan.
It is confusing. Tesla's Premium Connectivity service is required for certain Tesla functions to operate including Video (only available when parked) and Music Streaming, Satellite imagery and real-time traffic visualization for Navigation while driving.
Yup - all* of the in-car services rely on Tesla's Premium Connectivity service, not your own mobile service. A few years back (through mid-2018), this was provided indefinitely. Now it's "first year free, then $9.99/month." Seems like the community is split regarding whether it's worth paying beyond the included year. I'm on the "pay for it" side of the fence, as it just works.

* Navigation is provided, even without Premium Service subscription.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
It is confusing. Tesla's Premium Connectivity service is required for certain Tesla functions to operate including Video (only available when parked) and Music Streaming, Satellite imagery and real-time traffic visualization for Navigation while driving. Unlike other manufacturers Tesla does not currently enable you to connect your personal devices to the internet via the Tesla vehicle's 4G LTE service and WiFi. You can connect your phone to the Tesla vehicle via BT for calls and streaming audio through the Tesla's audio system.

Tesla did recently make a change that enables the Tesla vehicle to connect to your personal device's WiFi hot spot while driving. Previously the Tesla vehicle would only connect to a WiFi network such as your home WiFi network while the Tesla vehicle was parked. Now, if you have an unlimited data plan for your phone, it may make sense to skip the Tesla Premium Connectivity service and use your phone's WiFi as a WiFi hot spot.

From what I have read, even when using your phone as a hot spot some services (streaming video and Spotify come to mind) are not available. They really want you to pay for Connectivity. Easiest way to get me to pay for connectivity would be to let me use the CAR as a hotspot... but that is not an option.

Keith

Starting with Release 2021.24 if you set WiFi to remain connected while driving then connected services including: audio and video streaming; internet browser and Caraoke will be able to operate over the phone's WiFi/Hotspot except Live Traffic Visualization and Satellite-View Maps. (Navigation is always included, functional whether or not you purchase Premium Connectivity or set up a WiFi/Hotspot.)

More Here: Tesla 'Remain Connected to WiFi in Drive': How it'll work

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Starting with Release 2021.24 if you set WiFi to remain connected while driving then connected services including: audio and video streaming; internet browser and Caraoke will be able to operate over the phone's WiFi/Hotspot except Live Traffic Visualization and Satellite-View Maps. (Navigation is always included, functional whether or not you purchase Premium Connectivity or set up a WiFi/Hotspot.)

More Here: Tesla 'Remain Connected to WiFi in Drive': How it'll work
Very interesting. I saw a very similar page when the update first came out and there were less check marks on the "WiFi Hotspot" column. I could give a flip about satellite view or Live Traffic... looks like I am definitely drooping connectivity when the 1 year trial runs out :)

Keith

From what I have read, even when using your phone as a hot spot some services (streaming video and Spotify come to mind) are not available. They really want you to pay for Connectivity. Easiest way to get me to pay for connectivity would be to let me use the CAR as a hotspot... but that is not an option.

Keith
Incorrect. Streaming video services and audio work fine without premium connectivity. All that is lost is live traffic and satellite view.

I believe “your” is a modifier to “local,” not “telecommunications company.” As in, the carrier which Tesla happens to have a contract with to cover your local area.

I believe in the US, the cars connect to AT&T, but I’m certain it’s different in Canada/Europe/Asia. Hence the note that service is provided by a company local to your region, and not Tesla directly.

Thanks everyone. That's what I expected, but I appreciate the confirmation. I do not have unlimited data on my phone, quite the opposite, At the moment I'm not traveling at all so my phone doesn't use much cellular data. With my MY (estimated November 24 - December 14) I expect to be getting out a lot more, and so consuming a lot more data. That $10 per month might go a ways toward minimizing usage on my phone... or not. I've got a year to find out.

I believe in the US, the cars connect to AT&T, but I’m certain it’s different in Canada/Europe/Asia. Hence the note that service is provided by a company local to your region, and not Tesla directly.

@Darblish I've heard that up here in the Great White North (Canada) that connectivity is provided via the Rogers Wireless network. Seems to work well, despite me being more a fan of the Telus Mobility network (and Bell--since the two share towers, with Telus doing the lion's share here in the west, and Bell doing the same for the east).

Can I ask?

IS SLACKER RADIO INCLUDED IN PREMIUM CONNECTIVITY?

from what I’ve read it is. But I can’t get it to connect. Online chat support said do two button restart. No change. Then said book service appointment. WOT.
From other online posts, it seems that it is included/free. It was active on the demos that I test drove. Not sure why I cannot connect. I am in in the first few days of ownership and I have already preemptively subscribed to premium connectivity just in case that was the hang up—it wasn’t.
Any tips?

Can I ask?

IS SLACKER RADIO INCLUDED IN PREMIUM CONNECTIVITY?

from what I’ve read it is. But I can’t get it to connect. Online chat support said do two button restart. No change. Then said book service appointment. WOT.
From other online posts, it seems that it is included/free. It was active on the demos that I test drove. Not sure why I cannot connect. I am in in the first few days of ownership and I have already preemptively subscribed to premium connectivity just in case that was the hang up—it wasn’t.
Any tips?
The Slacker application (branded as Tesla Music) should work over WiFi and also over the cellular network if you have Premium Connectivity.

Verify that you have Premium Connectivity. Does your Tesla show the Real Time Traffic Updates on the Navigation screen? Also, if you can't see the Satellite Map display then your Premium Connectivity is not active.

The Slacker application (branded as Tesla Music) should work over WiFi and also over the cellular network if you have Premium Connectivity.

Verify that you have Premium Connectivity. Does your Tesla show the Real Time Traffic Updates on the Navigation screen? Also, if you can't see the Satellite Map display then your Premium Connectivity is not active.
This might be my problem. I don’t see live traffic. How do go about ensuring this is activated. The app and online page shows it as active until 9/5/2022. Not sure why it’s not populating? I’ve done the two button restart. Any other suggestions?

This might be my problem. I don’t see live traffic. How do go about ensuring this is activated. The app and online page shows it as active until 9/5/2022. Not sure why it’s not populating? I’ve done the two button restart. Any other suggestions?
What I did was go into my Tesla account from my computer and signed up to Premium Connectivity (gave Tesla my credit card info.) Tesla won't bill you for Premium Connectivity for the first year.

What I did was go into my Tesla account from my computer and signed up to Premium Connectivity (gave Tesla my credit card info.) Tesla won't bill you for Premium Connectivity for the first year.
I did this earlier but still not showing. I’ll see if turning off the car helps.
I see now I do have live traffic and satellite mapping. Slacker still won’t load using the “use Tesla account”. Not sure what else to do. A bit annoying for sure!

I did this earlier but still not showing. I’ll see if turning off the car helps.
I see now I do have live traffic and satellite mapping. Slacker still won’t load using the “use Tesla account”. Not sure what else to do. A bit annoying for sure!
I just checked and Streaming Music (Slacker) is working in my 2020 Model Y. At the bottom of the screen is a prompt that states "Have an Account? Press to Log In"

From what I was able to read about the Streaming Music service you should be able to use your Tesla Credentials (Email and Password) to log in to Streaming Music. I've never used Streaming Music other than the first day after I received my Tesla vehicle. I much prefer Spotify Premium because it seamlessly integrates between your Tesla vehicle and your phone. Spotify works well (ok, playlists only sort of work.) If you sign up for Spotify Premium I believe the first 3 months are free.

I just checked and Streaming Music (Slacker) is working in my 2020 Model Y. At the bottom of the screen is a prompt that states "Have an Account? Press to Log In"

From what I was able to read about the Streaming Music service you should be able to use your Tesla Credentials (Email and Password) to log in to Streaming Music. I've never used Streaming Music other than the first day after I received my Tesla vehicle. I much prefer Spotify Premium because it seamlessly integrates between your Tesla vehicle and your phone. Spotify works well (ok, playlists only sort of work.) If you sign up for Spotify Premium I believe the first 3 months are free.
I have Spotify but the playlists on slacker 1. Have better audio quality, 2. Have a different variety of music compared to my tailored playlists on Spotify. Sometimes it’s nice to have a change and make use of something that is paid for.

I tried to use my Tesla account log in and said invalid log in. Frustrating.