Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My one year free trial of premium Connectivity is just about up and I'm wondering if I really need it. I get that I won't get live traffic visualization but will navigation still reroute me around accidents and heavy traffic without it?

If you don't use the other features, you don't need it. Here's what the standard connectivity navigation give you:

Will Standard Connectivity affect in-car maps and routing?
No. All cars with Standard Connectivity will continue to receive the same core maps & navigation functionality as cars with Premium Connectivity, including traffic-based routing, Trip Planner and Supercharger stall availability. Premium Connectivity will add satellite-view maps and live traffic visualization.

• Informative
Reactions: GOVA and Gt1948
How do I get this to see these ' add satellite-view maps and live traffic visualization.'? Have Premium connection
tap anywhere on the map. You will then see three icons appear in the lower right of the screen. One is a traffic signal (tap for traffic) one is a lightning bolt (tap for chargers) and the third one I think is a globe (tap for satellite view).

Screenshot_20210725-212140_Fastmail.png

Note the asterisk (*).

Music streaming and other features will still work, but only on wifi. So simply enable wifi once you shift out of park, and connect to your cellphone's hotspot. Voila, now you get a subset of the features working again on Standard Connectivity!

I have a 25GB/mo "unlimited" cell data plan I'm already paying for, and I'm barely using. To me, I makes no sense to pay another $10/mo to Tesla for data access that I already have.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Really surprised they're adding this option. Seems like it would cut into their premium Connectivity subscriptions.
They still have people like me who have no desire to setup a hotspot every time they drive. I want to jump in and go. I will just pay the $10 a month when my free year expires.

For those with iPhone, does Shortcuts help automate the hotspot connection in any way?
Good question - I doubt it; the connection has to be initiated from your car, not from your phone.

This is the main issue that I can see - even with the new update, you will still need to manually connect the car to your phone whenever you get in. I’m on 2012.12.25.7 and it won’t even remember my phone’s hotspot name so I have to manually enter it each time.

Yet another reason I wish Tesla would allow CarPlay

They still have people like me who have no desire to setup a hotspot every time they drive. I want to jump in and go. I will just pay the $10 a month when my free year expires.
Completely understood. Setting up hotspot on a mobile phone (especially from an iPhone) is a pain in the ass because it timeouts so often.

But I'm the exact opposite. Found out I can get 30GB of 5G "premium" data from Verizon.. with unlimited "non-premium" data for only $15 month on a dedicated mobile hotspot.. and I think Im going to purchase that to remain permanently in the car. I figure at worst its only $5 more a month than what Tesla is asking. At best for an extra $5/month my car will have "always on wifi" that my kids can use to connect their iPads too, my wife and I can connect her laptop too, and any other wifi devices.

Still would prefer CarPlay over any of this crap.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Completely understood. Setting up hotspot on a mobile phone (especially from an iPhone) is a pain in the ass because it timeouts so often.

But I'm the exact opposite. Found out I can get 30GB of 5G "premium" data from Verizon.. with unlimited "non-premium" data for only $15 month on a dedicated mobile hotspot.. and I think Im going to purchase that to remain permanently in the car. I figure at worst its only $5 more a month than what Tesla is asking. At best for an extra $5/month my car will have "always on wifi" that my kids can use to connect their iPads too, my wife and I can connect her laptop too, and any other wifi devices.

Still would prefer CarPlay over any of this crap.
Hmm interesting. This seems like extra steps but I do like the idea of mobile hotspot for iPads and laptops. We wouldn't use it often but it's really handy when you do.

Currently my phone's mobile hotspot is limited to 3G, so when we do travel and expect to want the entertainment features, we could pay for upgrade a line to one with LTE mobile hotspot for just a month at $10. Much cheaper than paying for it all the time.

For anyone who can afford a Tesla $9.99 a month is chump change, especially for an unlimited data line.

Not necessarily. One of the reasons I can afford a Tesla is because I avoid those small, aggregating recurring costs.

My Verizon unlimited plan on my cell isn't really unlimited, after a certain amount of data (and you blow through that quickly when using the phone as a hot spot) it throttles the speed way, way, way down.

Yes, this was my next question. How fast does the car use data for regular driving? I wouldn't expect it to be too excessive.

Reactions: morbidz
My one year free trial of premium Connectivity is just about up and I'm wondering if I really need it. I get that I won't get live traffic visualization but will navigation still reroute me around accidents and heavy traffic without it?
I can’t imagine not having the live traffic. Mine just went to paid after a year and for $10 it’s a no brainer.