Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

premium connectivity required for voice commands?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I was unable recently to use voice commands in an area with no cell service, and wondered if I would need to subscribe for premium connectivity once my free year is up. It isn't specified as a part of the benefits, but thought the crowd might know better.. thanks!

Hi all, I was unable recently to use voice commands in an area with no cell service, and wondered if I would need to subscribe for premium connectivity once my free year is up. It isn't specified as a part of the benefits, but thought the crowd might know better.. thanks!

@thompas I could be incorrect, but I would assume the voice commands are processed locally in the vehicle and would not require any connectivity, much less of the paid premium variety. Hopefully someone will correct me here.

I took delivery of my MY SR at the end of February so only received 1 month of premium connectivity. The loss of this didn't affect the use of voice commands.

@thompas I could be incorrect, but I would assume the voice commands are processed locally in the vehicle and would not require any connectivity, much less of the paid premium variety. Hopefully someone will correct me here.
well, about 5 months ago when I got upgraded to MCU2, they forgot to connect the cellular antenna. Result was that no voice commands worked. After they connected the cellular antenna, the voice commands worked.

Premium connectivity provides web browser, video entertainment, music streaming and live traffic but voice commands are basic.

As others have noted, it does appear that voice commands are processed off-board. I have also tried using them with no cell service and this generates an error message on the display. Also many of us had the same problem with the "Call" command not working for several days earlier this year. There was no vehicle software update associated with the beginning and end of that issue, which indicates it was happening at a central processing location.

Wow, voice commands are processed remotely? Even my puny Garming something navigator has voice recognition onboard. With all the N TFlops, why can't they implement on-board? It sucks to have connectivity loss also degrade the driving experience…

Tradeoffs on having navigation, media, etc. all cloud-driven - you get the most updated maps, navigation routing updates, Spotify integration, upgrades to the voice recognition ability, but you do have to deal with requiring connectivity. The devices/head units that have actual maps loaded into them require huge software updates. I hated that my last car had onboard maps, but also that head unit was soooooo slow. Now the tradeoff for me is that I have a gap of connectivity for just ONE BLOCK leaving my house, so I have to either remember to ask for nav before leaving my garage, or wait a block. Definition of first world problems. 😄

Reactions: iustin
I had the same issue. Just outside of Belfair Washing I lost cell service. The little antenna on the display turned gray and had a line through it. I assumed that meant we lost coverage, at the same time I noticed that the car would no longer respond to voice commands. Five miles down the road we regained Cell coverage and the voice recognition began to function again. I took that to mean that Voice recognition wan not native to the vehicle. I would like to know more about this.

We had a similar experience. Just outside Belfair Washington there is a dead zone for cellular reception. Once we entered that area voice recognition stopped working. Once we left that area it returned. This leads me to believe that voice recognition is processed in a server located on line outside the vehicle.