Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity revoked on "used" cars ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is where I’m at....

bought my 2013 model S almost two years ago. About a month ago I stopped getting connected to internet via LTe. Same time mileage limit appeared on my Tesla account. Just checked and there is an empty box next to warranty now. Found paper work that says only 60kwt have a limit on mileage. Mine is 85.
still can’t connect - my account says that I have free premium connectivity. I’m getting to the point of being a frustrated Tesla owner ....
Paid
800 4 year service
800 to replace tpms
300 - total to fix handles two diff occasions
250 to replace 12v battery
1000 to replace charge port -piece of Supercharger stuck in it.... out of my pocket why?

this is just what I can remember. About to trade it in... getting to that point with my frustration
Oh one time driving in backcountry, doing 73, all the lights just go out...

I’m sure you’ve done it but have you both soft and hard rebooted? it sounds more like your antennae has gone bad vs Tesla revoking your connectivity.

Well actually my car still say “premium connectivity” “expires 12/31/2019”

BUT everything still works. Maybe Tesla took the day off and we’ll see it all go away tomorrow?

I tried to log in to my Tesla account because I’d planned to pay for it today but not UNTIL it was actually revoked. I also can’t log in at all.

My connection stopped working a month ago... it’s not even 2020 yet. One of the biggest reasons why I like Tesla was because you can precondition the car from a distance. But now I won’t be able to warm it up or cool it down unless I’m home because I’m not connected to Wi-Fi. At home I can just walk up to it and start it. The whole point of having this connection is to be able to do it when you’re not at the car ...
I called Tesla and they say I have premium connectivity included since I bought my car before June 2018

My connection stopped working a month ago... it’s not even 2020 yet. One of the biggest reasons why I like Tesla was because you can precondition the car from a distance. But now I won’t be able to warm it up or cool it down unless I’m home because I’m not connected to Wi-Fi. At home I can just walk up to it and start it. The whole point of having this connection is to be able to do it when you’re not at the car ...

The functionality you described is completely independent of premium connectivity. Time to schedule your car for service.

Awesome! I was hoping they would come to their senses. I'm surprised they include ALL used cars but i guess that is easier to manage and gives a clear date.

Premium.JPG

Same -- had been nervously looking at the "premium connectivity expires 2019" warning and now it is "premium lifetime".

On the one hand we're talking about a couple hundred dollars a year between unlimited supercharging and streaming; on the other hand it's super shady to revoke this sort of thing after-the-fact.

So good on Tesla for doing this without too much trauma / drama. Can I have fast charging at the supercharger reinstated too?? Too soon?

My 2018 was built and sold in April of 2018. Original owners gave it back to Tesla and then Tesla sold it to a dealership in December of 2019. I bought it from the dealership in Jan. 2020. Car had year old software and said lifetime free premium connectivity on the car screen as well as the webpage. I updated to the latest firmware a few weeks ago and afterward the screen page inside the car said that I only had a month before premium expires. Still said (and does as of today) lifetime free premium connectivity on my Tesla page when I log in on my home PC. Last night they removed it. Sent an email to Tesla this morning...will post results here.

@R_Stephens what ended up happening? I'm in the process of privately selling my Model 3 purchased before July 1, 2018 and have found contradictory information and nobody to contact at Tesla for confirmation.

In the end Tesla refused to honor the free lifetime connectivity. I argued with several people from Tesla but they just pointed to the text on the website (that didn't exist when I bought my used model 3 - I know because I saved a pdf of the site before they changed it) and said "well, that's our policy". I went back through the paperwork from the dealer and they never mentioned it, so I have no recourse with them. I did email a guy that claimed that he was putting together a class action complaint, but I never got a response.

In the end Tesla refused to honor the free lifetime connectivity. I argued with several people from Tesla but they just pointed to the text on the website (that didn't exist when I bought my used model 3 - I know because I saved a pdf of the site before they changed it) and said "well, that's our policy". I went back through the paperwork from the dealer and they never mentioned it, so I have no recourse with them. I did email a guy that claimed that he was putting together a class action complaint, but I never got a response.

When in January did you purchase the car? That really sucks.