Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium connectivity [service provider] changing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lets hope so. TuneIn blocks a lot of UK based stations based on geographical location. A UK LTE provider like Vodafone would help greatly.

It does seem strange that we are expected to pay for Premium Connectivity and that it doesn't even allow us easy access to some UK sites and services! Along with many (all?) others mine goes via Dutch company having been changed from the Spanish supplier which had messed up our car wake-up via the app.

Yes, since a number of us were remotely switched a couple of months ago I think this must be the case.

On a tangent, did anyone else notice a distinct drop in signal strength after the recent switch, seems less responsive on the app too (but it does wake the car up now, at least!). I'm guessing the "dutch" network is a bit more sparse round this end...

The service provider, O2 Telefónica or Vodafone, is irrelevant if Tesla use a VPN, e.g. a server in Spain or The Netherlands.

To appear as though your car is in the UK, Tesla just need to update the VPN settings, which would cost little to nothing.

The main reason for Tesla (or anyone) using a foreign SIM in your home country is to easily access in-country roaming agreements. It's nigh-on impossible to negotiate the ability for a UK provisioned SIM to roam across the other network operators' networks in the same country.

Yes and no. No satellite map and no traffic. But worse you have to manually connect to hot spot every time you take the car out of park.

Looks like (as of ~2weeks ago?) spotify access no longer included (even with hotspot) (unless you have a spotify premium account). This caveat recently added/enforced to the connectivity pages;
IMG_20201206_084251.jpg

It used to be that with a hotspot you could use spotify even without Tesla premium connectivity and without a paid Spotify account.

I've read somewhere that I'd your leasing the car or a compact car driver they seem to let the premium package carry on after the 30 day trail or the 12 month that's included?

Regarding Spotify you could always use your phone over Bluetooth which is what most do in the car now anyway

Reactions: TM3P1
Yes and no. No satellite map and no traffic. But worse you have to manually connect to hot spot every time you take the car out of park.

Also your hotspot will only connect to your own network's masts whereas the Tesla sim allows the car to pick up connections from any of the nearest masts, so you will have more gaps in service in comparison.

I've read somewhere that I'd your leasing the car or a compact car driver they seem to let the premium package carry on after the 30 day trail or the 12 month that's included?

Regarding Spotify you could always use your phone over Bluetooth which is what most do in the car now anyway

I believe this is because there is no way for lease customers to pay for premium connectivity at the moment, and the leasing companies don’t have the ability to facilitate payments for it