Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium connectivity Spotify

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I know the sound quality of Spotify using a phone and Bluetooth should be far better than the built in Tesla Spotify app since it is about 4 times the bitrate. So Bluetooth is a better choice if SQ matters, but browsing is probably not as easy.

Hopefully if the reports regarding Tidal being integrated into the car are true, then there will be another option - plus Tidal integrates with other apps really nicely.
I hope so, but if Tesla still throttles the bitrate to only 64-96 kbps it won't do much good to have Tidal either :(
We would get the music selection of Tidal, but not the CD+ quality, which for most people is the whole reason for using Tidal in the first place. Still, maybe we will get a surprise and Elon will lift the bitrate limit.

I don't see any reason why Tesla would throttle the bitrate, in fact, it would actually be pretty difficult to do on Masters material. I am sure it was no coincidence that Tesla upped the maximum supported sample rate to 192/24 at around the same time that EM started mentioning Tidal. Tesla unfortunately seem to treat USB media as an afterthought so one may conclude that something else was driving the decision.

I don't see any reason why Tesla would throttle the bitrate, in fact, it would actually be pretty difficult to do on Masters material. I am sure it was no coincidence that Tesla upped the maximum supported sample rate to 192/24 at around the same time that EM started mentioning Tidal. Tesla unfortunately seem to treat USB media as an afterthought so one may conclude that something else was driving the decision.
Bandwidth on mobile networks is expensive. Reducing the bitrate reduces the bandwidth being used, which reduces their bill to whoever provided the connectivity.

£10 a month is a pretty low amount to pay for data, Spotify and whatever else is included. They likely get a decent discount for bulk, but there won’t be much profit that.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Bandwidth on mobile networks is expensive. Reducing the bitrate reduces the bandwidth being used, which reduces their bill to whoever provided the connectivity.

£10 a month is a pretty low amount to pay for data, Spotify and whatever else is included. They likely get a decent discount for bulk, but there won’t be much profit that.
This is my thinking as well. How do they offer video though, like Netflix? Is that only when wifi is available?

As far as I know the sound quality of Spotify using a phone and Bluetooth should be far better than the built in Tesla Spotify app since it is about 4 times the bitrate. So Bluetooth is a better choice if SQ matters, but browsing is probably not as easy.

despite the sheer size of the tesla screen I don’t like having the music overlay (at any size other than basic album art) because it eats into the satnav screen - and the satnav doesn’t adapt. Eg moving the car position to consider the visible space or shrink the Turn by turn panel

combined with browsing only when stopped (or with a passenger doing it) and I don’t mind setting that up on a phone

Tidal has licensed some pretty nifty technology (MQA) to allow high sample rate material to be streamed at very reasonable bit rates. If Tesla allow video to be streamed, I don't see why they would have an issue with high quality audio other than via their existing fair use policy. And there is always the option of using a wifi hotspot. Alas, I suspect the issue would be more about licensing the likes of MQA within the current Premium Connectivity package, but even still, lossless 'CD quality' would still be much better than what is currently offered.

Where is Tesla allowing 192/24? Is this on USB FLAC?

Yes.

I've used Premium connectivity & Netflix almost at every supercharger stop & occasionally while waiting somewhere else. This is always via LTE not wifi & the same goes for YouTube
Interesting. I'm pretty sure even Standard Definition Netflix requires 2-3 mbps of bitrate. I am very surprised that Tesla allows this throughput for video but limits audio to only 64-96 kbps. I wonder if I'm wrong about the audio bitrate limit? Of course it may be different there in the UK.

Tidal has licensed some pretty nifty technology (MQA) to allow high sample rate material to be streamed at very reasonable bit rates. If Tesla allow video to be streamed, I don't see why they would have an issue with high quality audio other than via their existing fair use policy.
In that case, the issue is probably due to the deal with Spotify. The free Spotify account is a lower bitrate. This is probably something akin to that.

Reactions: rjpjnk
Actual bitrate is conjecture for now but playing the same piece of music back-to-back between Spotify and hi-res USB FLAC (Premium sound system), the difference is very noticeable. Treble is smoother & bass much tighter, deeper and better defined.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if Spotify was actually 192mbps as 64-96 & even 128 are generally much thinner & harsher sounding than this.

When alone I play USB/FLAC & for my wife, the saved Spotify playlist.