Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium connectivity subscription caution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably shoulda assumed this would happen, but if you have any thoughts of trading in your vehicle remember to change your subscription from annual prepaid to monthly. I signed up for the annual plan in Feb of 2022 and it renewed automatically Feb of 23; May 23 I traded in for a new model. Tesla won’t even entertain a conversation about moving that subscription to my new vehicle so 3/4 of $99 down the drain. The rep who called me back (only because I set up a service appointment to address the question) said he could give me a number to call to escalate my request but, and I quote, “they won’t return your call”. Tesla never misses a chance to nickel and dime its customers and prove to them that they don’t matter.

Reactions: Abraham
I am pretty sure it says right when you subscribe to it yearly that there is no refund for unused subscription, which is fairly common for any subscription that you subscribe to yearly. I remember reading that when I subscribed myself, and if you dont remember reading it, or forgot, why is this Teslas fault?

I didn’t say it was Tesla’s fault I said it was a sheety policy. They’re eroding brand loyalty over a paltry sum; it’s really poor retail operations. The terms say if you cancel there’s no refund; I’m looking to modify not cancel, which I know is a hair fine distinction. Tesla makes an awesome product but is a really terrible retailer. It’s not hurting em now because they still have the best in class product; but others are catching up and the brand loyalty they’ve squandered in recent years could be a real problem soon.

If I have to guess it's probably because customer service doesn't have an easy way to transfer or prorate subscriptions. It's probably buried under another 100 things they are dealing with at the moment since they are aggressively trying to expand their user base. Not an excuse but I can see why it's a low priority for them.

I am pretty sure it says right when you subscribe to it yearly that there is no refund for unused subscription, which is fairly common for any subscription that you subscribe to yearly. I remember reading that when I subscribed myself, and if you dont remember reading it, or forgot, why is this Teslas fault?

When I paid for a year long subscription to other services and changed to a new computer, my subscription was still valid. Why that isn't true when one buys a new $50K+ vehicle is not obvious to me.

Reactions: spata
When I paid for a year long subscription to other services and changed to a new computer, my subscription was still valid. Why that isn't true when one buys a new $50K+ vehicle is not obvious to me.

I didnt say it was fair. I said it was clear that was the policy when one subscribes for a year. In the case of premium connectivity, they offer a monthly subscription if one doesnt want to subscribe for a year.

Before anyone says "what about FSD" this is not a thread about that, and I am not going to let it be about that, there are other threads in the FSD subforum for that discussion.

Reactions: WyoDude
I didnt say it was fair. I said it was clear that was the policy when one subscribes for a year. In the case of premium connectivity, they offer a monthly subscription if one doesnt want to subscribe for a year.

Before anyone says "what about FSD" this is not a thread about that, and I am not going to let it be about that, there are other threads in the FSD subforum for that discussion.

I was reacting to your statement:

which is fairly common for any subscription that you subscribe to yearly.

I feel that isn't common when it comes to things like Spotify, Netflix, Office365, antivirus software, etc. etc.

If you look at my entire quote instead of just the part you clipped, you will see that I was referring to the fact that subscriptions paid yearly are not likely to be refunded. It doesnt say anything at all about it being common about not being able to move them to another device.

I am pretty sure it says right when you subscribe to it yearly that there is no refund for unused subscription, which is fairly common for any subscription that you subscribe to yearly.

Not sure why you took the "cant move it to another device" part as being something I referenced as being common, since I didnt say that at all.

only my opinion, but Tesla has been around long enough as a company to get this sorted out in a customer-centric way.

There’s a lot they do different that’s good - and then there’s stuff they do like this which is just a cash grab

• Disagree
Reactions: Brou
If you look at my entire quote instead of just the part you clipped, you will see that I was referring to the fact that subscriptions paid yearly are not likely to be refunded. It doesnt say anything at all about it being common about not being able to move them to another device.

Not sure why you took the "cant move it to another device" part as being something I referenced as being common, since I didnt say that at all.
I'm not concerned about yearly subscriptions (of any sort) being non-refundable. To me the difference between that (which, as you say is normal) and Tesla, is the inability to move one's yearly subscription to another device that can use that service. And while we've been trying to stay away from comparing this with FSD, in fact Tesla tying premium connectivity to the vehicle and not the owner is their policy with the other software services they sell so we shouldn't be surprised when we look at the non-transferring of premium connectivity.

Except there's a real difference between a mobile phone data connection or a subscription to assorted services and FSD. And it didn't occur to me to consider premium connectivity equivalent to the latter when it comes to terms and conditions of subscribing.

(I can't look and see what the warnings are when purchasing because I'm in Canada and don't have the prepay for a year option, or, for that matter, what the monthly FSD capability subscription says.)