Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity Vs. Connectivity to WiFi/HotSpot on phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you live and drive in NYC, or in SoCal, the traffic data is the most important thing in the car! The only problem is when ALL of the alternates are red! We don't go anywhere without checking traffic on-screen. Yes, you can get it on your phone or through a phone app onto the screen, but this is just so convenient. And even if the navigation includes traffic anyway it doesn't matter to me. I never use navigation to get around the city. That said, the navigation told us to go into Manhattan to get to Brooklyn from the Bronx, and it turns out there was no traffic that way while Queens was a total mess everywhere. You generally avoid Manhattan at all costs. It did add a toll though.

Reactions: MarkoP
Just checked. In canada it’s $15.80/month after tax. At that price I don’t think it’s worth it.

The Apple Music app is nice. But I can stream the music from my phone. I’m not sure what traffic visualization is exactly? Is it where it marks roads red if they are slow? (There is a web version of Waze for that and it shows where the speed traps are ) The remote sentry is a nice feature. But honestly it can get obsessive. Everything is recorded. So if someone dings my car I’ll find out who they are at the end of the day. Instead of ruining my day :)
I activate my iPhone’s hotspot and check compatibility mode. But sometimes it takes forever for my MY to connect and sometimes it never does. My daughter can always connect using the family sharing. So I’m pretty sure the hotspot is active… Any advice?

Agree. Especially not for $15/month … and when I do I can hotspot and view Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information

I am assuming you mean $15 a month in Canadian currency. I pay for it yearly, and its $99 a year or $8.25 a month, or the price of one fast food hamburger a month.

EDIT: missed your other post in this thread that stated canadian dollars. I forgot I had already posted in this thread previously, shrug.

Last edited:
Note that even without premium connectivity, driving directions still take traffic into account... the map just doesn't show them.
Where is there confirmation/source of this statement?
I've did initial testing of Tesla vs Google Maps and my results seemed to show routing not as as 'flexible'. Tesla tended to do a 'straight shot' and not route around L.A. traffic.
I assumed this is due to my lack of Premium Connectivity.

I've did initial testing of Tesla vs Google Maps and my results seemed to show routing not as as 'flexible'. Tesla tended to do a 'straight shot' and not route around L.A. traffic.

Information on teslas website seems to confirm what the previous poster said:

======================================

(Relevant quote below)

FeaturesShow All

• Does Standard Connectivity include in-car maps and navigation functionality?
    Yes. All vehicles with Standard Connectivity will continue to receive the same core maps & navigation functionality as vehicles with Premium Connectivity, including traffic-based routing, Trip Planner and Supercharger stall availability. Standard Connectivity is included in your vehicle, at no additional cost, for eight years beginning on the first day your vehicle was delivered as new by Tesla, or the first day it is put into service (for example used as a demonstrator or service vehicle), whichever comes first. If you are purchasing a used vehicle, you will be notified of how long your vehicle will include access to Standard Connectivity. Premium Connectivity will add satellite-view maps and live traffic visualization.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot

It does for SURE 100% reroute based on traffic data without Premium. In LA it reroutes me off the freeway all the time, or even just off to the side slip roads right beside I10 if it's faster.]

With the latest updates it'll even provide alternate routes at the start of navigation, without Premium connectivity.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Others posted references, but I should clarify although it does route based on traffic, it doesn't show the traffic, so the utility is a bit limited without premium. But when I get in situations where there is huge traffic to a crawl, I just mount my phone and use Google maps to see where it is and possible reroute options.

Reactions: CheapBastid
All vehicles with Standard Connectivity will continue to receive the same core maps & navigation functionality as vehicles with Premium Connectivity, including traffic-based routing, Trip Planner and Supercharger stall availability. Standard Connectivity is included in your vehicle, at no additional cost, for eight years beginning on the first day your vehicle was delivered as new by Tesla

What happens to Standard Connectivity after 8 years; blank screen?

What happens to Standard Connectivity after 8 years; blank screen?
I expect it to work the same as when you lose reception. This means the nav changes to an old fashioned one that does not support dynamic search (you have to enter the exact address) and you lose all voice commands (I don't use voice commands so it's not a loss to me but some people do). That seems to be the main ones I noticed, but there may be other things that are internet connected.

Reactions: dusty22
I expect it to work the same as when you lose reception. This means the nav changes to an old fashioned one that does not support dynamic search (you have to enter the exact address) and you lose all voice commands (I don't use voice commands so it's not a loss to me but some people do). That seems to be the main ones I noticed, but there may be other things that are internet connected.
Voice commands for sat nav are useful of you're driving imo.

Reactions: father_of_6
Does anyone know how we can configure automatic connection to the hotspot? My wife recently took delivery of a new Y, and she doesn’t want premium.

When I’m driving her car, it looks like I have to manually turn on wifi (it defaults to off, every time I get out of the car), open my iPhone, let the car go through its “searching” routine, and then finally connect.

Does anyone know how we can configure automatic connection to the hotspot? My wife recently took delivery of a new Y, and she doesn’t want premium.

When I’m driving her car, it looks like I have to manually turn on wifi (it defaults to off, every time I get out of the car), open my iPhone, let the car go through its “searching” routine, and then finally connect.
Make sure you have remain “connected in drive” selected for your hotspot network.

But on iPhones it doesn’t continuously broadcast hotspot signal if there’s no device connected and you’re not in the hotspot settings page. So you have to turn on hotspot on your phone manually each time and wait for the car to connect.

The car may also turn off wifi after a certain period of time with no known networks found to save energy.

I have a spare Android phone on a spare line running hotspot sitting inside the center console and it auto-connects for the most part unless the hotspot phone died or restarted for some reason.

Gotcha. My wife found care less about any of the features, s she didn't want to pay for it, Since I drive her car rarely, I won't worry about it. I can't imagine how people are comfortable with this setup who do it every day. Thanks for the input.

Gotcha. My wife found care less about any of the features, s she didn't want to pay for it, Since I drive her car rarely, I won't worry about it. I can't imagine how people are comfortable with this setup who do it every day. Thanks for the input.
A new model Y. North of $50K. Subscription to premium connectivity. $100 per year.

I guess we all make choices that are in our best interests. I just don't understand that one.