Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity Yearly Subscription?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So My Model Y is a year old and now I've got to pay for Premium Connectivity. I let it lapse for a couple days, just to see what's the difference, and I'm planning on getting it again.

My problem is Tesla doesn't seem to have a yearly subscription model (or I can't seem to find it). They want me to pay monthly.

Is there a yearly subscription available? I'm sure that it will bother the heck out of me seeing a recurring charge every month. If it's once a year, it's a lesser sting.

(An 8% discount for a yearly subscription would be nice, too -- Buy 11 months, get the 12th month free.)

So My Model Y is a year old and now I've got to pay for Premium Connectivity. I let it lapse for a couple days, just to see what's the difference, and I'm planning on getting it again.

My problem is Tesla doesn't seem to have a yearly subscription model (or I can't seem to find it). They want me to pay monthly.

Is there a yearly subscription available? I'm sure that it will bother the heck out of me seeing a recurring charge every month. If it's once a year, it's a lesser sting.

(An 8% discount for a yearly subscription would be nice, too -- Buy 11 months, get the 12th month free.)

I fall in this exact camp (where it bothers me less to pay $120 a year than $10 a month, even though, yes its the exact same money).

Every time I see that monthly subscription price, It slightly annoys me, because i really (really) dislike the "monthly subscription" sales model. My compromise with myself is normally to see if I want "whatever it is" enough to outlay a year in advance for whatever service. They want everyone to think "its only $10 a month, thats the price of many fast food meals!"

I prefer to think of it as "its $120, do I want to pay $120 for this for a year, pre paid?".

Unfortunately there is no way to pay for it that way that I have seen. I like premium connectivity enough that I have kept it, even though I am not driving that much right now, and it slightly annoys me every month, seeing that charge on my CC.

I fall in this exact camp (where it bothers me less to pay $120 a year than $10 a month, even though, yes its the exact same money).

Every time I see that monthly subscription price, It slightly annoys me, because i really (really) dislike the "monthly subscription" sales model. My compromise with myself is normally to see if I want "whatever it is" enough to outlay a year in advance for whatever service. They want everyone to think "its only $10 a month, thats the price of many fast food meals!"

I prefer to think of it as "its $120, do I want to pay $120 for this for a year, pre paid?".

Unfortunately there is no way to pay for it that way that I have seen. I like premium connectivity enough that I have kept it, even though I am not driving that much right now, and it slightly annoys me every month, seeing that charge on my CC.

@jjrandorin if you're not getting any discount for pre-paying the year's worth of service, then you might as well have the money sitting in your account rather than Tesla's account, no? I mean it's a miniscule difference to be fair, but unless maybe you're a Tesla investor and would like to see them benefit from the interest rather than you, I can't see why delaying the funds isn't beneficial.

@jjrandorin if you're not getting any discount for pre-paying the year's worth of service, then you might as well have the money sitting in your account rather than Tesla's account, no? I mean it's a miniscule difference to be fair, but unless maybe you're a Tesla investor and would like to see them benefit from the interest rather than you, I can't see why delaying the funds isn't beneficial.

I can see why you would say that, and it would make a difference if we were talking about larger amounts of money, I just like to try to keep my "monthly churn" down. There is a REASON, all these companies want people to think:
====================
"its only $10 a month"... "its only 18.95 a month". "ADT is only $35.00 to $59.99 a month, and thats a small price to pay for protection!!!"

(these are company sales pitches, not my thoughts)
====================

I just dont like paying "$10 a month". I want to make a decision on if I want it enough to pre pay for it for a years time at the total cost that is. "Do i like premium connectivity enough to pre pay $120 a year for it?" Do I value netflix enough to pay, not $15.99 a month, but to pre pay it $192.00?

No, I am not a tesla investor (I dont own a single share). I just have a psychological dislike of "XX a month" as I feel its predatory.

@
I can see why you would say that, and it would make a difference if we were talking about larger amounts of money, I just like to try to keep my "monthly churn" down. There is a REASON, all these companies want people to think:
====================
"its only $10 a month"... "its only 18.95 a month". "ADT is only $35.00 to $59.99 a month, and thats a small price to pay for protection!!!"

@jjrandorin right, I get that you prefer to think about in terms of yearly cost. The thing is, by even mentioning this, you're already negating the intended psychological effect of hoping you'll think of the $10 amount vs. the $120--you immediately think of the $120, which is great.

Here's the other thought: yes, the amount of money is very small and the interest difference in your account will be very small. But now think about what it would mean to Tesla if tens or hundreds of thousands of customers wanted to give them that full $120 up front every year rather than stretching out that revenue over the months. If you were to buy a yearly allocation without any price incentive, you're effectively rewarding Tesla with all that extra interest (which if hundreds of thousands of customers were to also do, would compound up to a fairly significant chunk of change).

Anyway, I guess we are going to agree to disagree here. I can see your point that it's sneaky of them to want you to think of it as $10 rather than $120. For that matter, even thinking of it as $120 could be considered sneaky vs thinking of the lifetime of the car. Keeping it for 10 years (okay 11--10 years after the included free year)? That's now a $1,200 cost. But you probably wouldn't want to give them $1,200 up front (even if you planned to keep the car another 10 years) vs. $120 a year if you didn't get a discount, right? So why would you want to give them $120 up front instead of $10 every month?

That's my two cents. Defer the cost as much as possible. This would be even more important if you were the type of person that is inclined to carry a balance on their payment card, but I'm guessing this almost certainly does not apply to you.

This would be even more important if you were the type of person that is inclined to carry a balance on their payment card, but I'm guessing this almost certainly does not apply to you.
I understand what you are saying. You are certainly correct on the "makes more financial sense to defray it" if possible. While I have a credit score that is a decent amount over 800 now, it wasnt always that way. Lets say there were some "hard lessons" learned in my younger years, which makes me pay for most things outright, if I can.

Since this is pretty off topic now, I will stop there except to say that, yes, you are correct, while I use my CCs every month (for as many purchases in possible, in fact), I pay them off before the end of the month.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I called the Tesla Burbank location where I got my car. They referred me to the 1-888-518-3752 number. They charged my card on file for 12 months and now the car says that it doesn’t expire for another 20 months. Easy. Stop being a smart-a$$ online to random people and just pick up the phone! “Call them”

I wasnt being a "smart @#$!@" online to random people. Tesla has several phone numbers, and doesnt answer most of them. Their regular customer service numbers can ring for hours. The service center wouldnt have anything to do with this, under normal circumstances, since its a subscription. I was curious as to what number you could have gotten through to, that someone would do this (correctly) on teslas end, because they dont have the best execution on stuff like this, to put it mildly.

you assumed something from my post that wasnt there.

In any case, thanks for the phone number. I will try giving that one a call.

• Informative
Reactions: techlogik and JBT66
Thx for the info. 1 year was lapsing so I subscribed and got a pop-up message on my car's display this AM.

I called the Tesla Burbank location where I got my car. They referred me to the 1-888-518-3752 number. They charged my card on file for 12 months and now the car says that it doesn’t expire for another 20 months. Easy. Stop being a smart-a$$ online to random people and just pick up the phone! “Call them”

I'm actually surprised that Tesla does not offer an annual subscription from a business point of view. Every time Tesla runs your credit card, they get hit with merchant fees to process the card. If they offer annual it's one fee and if they do monthly it's 12x the fee. Yes, there are also fees that are based on the dollar volume of the transaction, but why I'm talking about are per-tranaction fees.