Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's rather unclear as to what you actually have, what you could have and which bits are in your account. My account on either the app or desktop browser give no real details of what is classed as included, for how long and what you'll be/are missing when whatever it is you're getting free currently isn't free, the date of which I'm still unsure about!

Reactions: drewpost and Ant M3
sales guy at Tesla

No such thing as a "Tesla sales guy". a "Tesla website butler", a "Tesla tea leaf consultant", a "Tesla Magic 8 Ball expert" sure, but not "Sales".

They can't sell you anything, you have to press the button yourself. They also know less than the average person on this forum.

meme.JPG

• Funny
Reactions: Chalks99
No such thing as a "Tesla sales guy". a "Tesla website butler", a "Tesla tea leaf consultant", a "Tesla Magic 8 Ball expert" sure, but not "Sales".

They can't sell you anything, you have to press the button yourself. They also know less than the average person on this forum.

View attachment 486375
The delivery guys aren't much better. In a discussion of superchargers my guy took great delight in telling me how my car could charge at 250kw. I quipped that that was great and all but since all the superchargers in the UK top out at 150kw max it might be a while before I could actually use it. He looked confused and started clicking on superchargers on the display to check the output. After half a dozen or so 120 and 150 kw sites had been looked at we moved on. :D

• Helpful
Reactions: Lachie
The delivery guys aren't much better. In a discussion of superchargers my guy took great delight in telling me how my car could charge at 250kw. I quipped that that was great and all but since all the superchargers in the UK top out at 150kw max it might be a while before I could actually use it. He looked confused and started clicking on superchargers on the display to check the output. After half a dozen or so 120 and 150 kw sites had been looked at we moved on. :D

On my test drive, which was otherwise extremely positive, I had a "difficult" exchange with the Tesla guy ... we were discussing regenerative braking.... when I referred to regen putting some charge back into the battery he insisted on explaining that this wasn't actually the case ... "it increases overall efficiency but it doesn't actually put charge into the battery"... it quickly became clear that he wasn't going to accept my version of reality so I just dropped the topic!

• Funny
Reactions: Yev000 and rotor2k
For those in the UK with premium connectivity do you also need a Spotify premium account for Spotify? Or does it include a Spotify account?

if it includes a built in account is there any benefit to having your own account

I’m waiting on an sr+ delivery but also about to upgrade my current (not Spotify) streaming service to a family account so wondering whether to switch to Spotify for when the car arrives

I have both Premium Connectivity (Long Range) and Spotify Premium. You do not need Spotify premium (or even a Spotify account at all) to use Spotify in the car. I did sign in, but then realised that if I was playing music in the house, and opened the car door, it would stop playing in the house as "playing elsewhere". So I now use the inbuilt Spotify account in the car.

There are no drawbacks. You can still save songs, albums, playlists, and can skip tracks, choose individual songs etc.

It won't include a Spotify Premium account, you'll have to buy your own subscription to that separately. The Tesla monthly fee will essentially be for these in-car features to be available.

Pretty sure you have to have the Spotify Premium account too, the free one doesn't work. May be wrong though.

It does include Spotify Premium, you don't need your own account on top.

Where does it say that on the Tesla website? I had to sign into my Spotify premium account on my SR+ to get it to work. Does yours have adverts at all?

Spotify Premium is £9.99 per month on it's own. So essentially you're saying Tesla are giving a Spotify Premium accounts as well as unlimited data for said account, Netflix and Youtube for £9.99 per month? That's a crazy good deal.

Spotify Premium is £9.99 per month on it's own. So essentially you're saying Tesla are giving a Spotify Premium accounts as well as unlimited data for said account, Netflix and Youtube for £9.99 per month? That's a crazy good deal.

Not sure Netflix is included...

I'd buy the premium if I get spotify and traffic... I'd buy it just for traffic to be honest, but Spotify is a nice addon.

Where does it say that on the Tesla website? I had to sign into my Spotify premium account on my SR+ to get it to work. Does yours have adverts at all?

I don't know what you want me to say hahaha, I'm using Spotify in the car while I drive and it's not signed in (shows a 'Sign in' button at the bottom right corner). I don't get adverts and I can choose any song from a list, which means it's premium in my eyes.

Not sure Netflix is included...

I'd buy the premium if I get spotify and traffic... I'd buy it just for traffic to be honest, but Spotify is a nice addon.

Well I'm using the 'free 12 month trial' of Premium Connectivity' and getting Spotify/Netflix, are you suggesting the paid option won't include them?

are you suggesting the paid option won't include them?

I'm saying I'm not sure.... I have the SR+ and dont have these options today. If you say the LR comes with both for "free" and that is used as the template for premium connectivity then there is good evidence that it might be included in the £10 price.

Netflix is hardly a must have feature. Music is more useful.

I have a netflix account anyway, so it wont make any difference for me.

Do you think people without Netflix accounts will watch it in their cars instead of getting an account for home? I'm not sure that I would. Probably costs £1 to watch a film in electricity for air con....

I'm saying I'm not sure.... I have the SR+ and dont have these options today. If you say the LR comes with both for "free" and that is used as the template for premium connectivity then there is good evidence that it might be included in the £10 price.

Netflix is hardly a must have feature. Music is more useful.

I have a netflix account anyway, so it wont make any difference for me.

Do you think people without Netflix accounts will watch it in their cars instead of getting an account for home? I'm not sure that I would. Probably costs £1 to watch a film in electricity for air con....
I have an SR+, currently has Netflix and Spotify working fine over LTE with no restriction. I have a Netflix account and just login and it works. Netflix is super useful if you're waiting for the car to charge, I use it then.

It doesn't sound like they are going to restrict/remove anything, it's just a monthly charge for the data usage essentially. You can get the exact same functionality (except possibly live traffic) by turning on wifi hotspot on your phone and connecting the car to it, so you use your phone's LTE data instead.

I don't know what you want me to say hahaha, I'm using Spotify in the car while I drive and it's not signed in (shows a 'Sign in' button at the bottom right corner). I don't get adverts and I can choose any song from a list, which means it's premium in my eyes.
Interesting. Forced me to login to my Spotify account (I think) but maybe I didn't need to.

There seems to be a lot of confusion over the Netflix and Spotify situation.

For Netflix you have always needed your own account since it was added, I don't see premium connectivity changing this.
For $10 per month I would hope I could stream it but it does not seem clear at this point that that will be the case since some people can right not and it looks as if others cannot.

For Spotify. In an LR/P with its equivalent of premium connectivity you definitely CAN use spotify without an account. Tesla must have some kind of mass deal worked out. With premium I am pretty sure that would continue. The question is would non premium customers still get it over wifi/hotspot.

Personally I wish there was a middle option for the traffic only for say $5. That is all I really want and $10 is quite a lot for that since my current TomTom has it for life including the data needed to get it and that was <£200 including the actual physical unit.
It's also free on google maps of course except for the data to get it which is actually quite minimal.

Reactions: Evilted
Interesting. Forced me to login to my Spotify account (I think) but maybe I didn't need to.

You do, I just tried logging in with my free account and it gave me "invalid account" message.

Interestingly the Tesla account changed the wording on the FSD upgrade link to a more generic "Upgrades" link, although the graphic is still the same. So I think they are getting ready to add this to the website to allow people to subscribe.