Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i know.....just hate to see my p85d with mcu1 have to pay. It’s pretty clear WHY they chose June 30th 2018 (MCU2) as their cut off.

A few of us were fortunate enough to have both MCU2 and free unlimited premium connectivity. There always seems to be trade-offs on features and timing of production, but all things considered, I really like the combination of features and options I was lucky enough to get on my March 2018 Model S. It was, however, much more expensive than the current S. Trade-offs...

Maybe MCU1 cars will get amnesty by an executive order. We’ll just keep using the premium illegally while the bureaucratic apparatus figures out how to take it away from us. Just keep your head low for now and don’t talk to anyone who identifies with ICE (internal combustion engines).

Bought my P85D in JULY, 2018

It was never mentioned connectivity was limited. Originally had 3G and paid for an LTE upgrade which is now useless.

Another great move from Tesla to make sure I never buy anything from them again.

• Disagree
Reactions: kimvellore
Maybe MCU1 cars will get amnesty by an executive order. We’ll just keep using the premium illegally while the bureaucratic apparatus figures out how to take it away from us. Just keep your head low for now and don’t talk to anyone who identifies with ICE (internal combustion engines).

LOL and what are you guys doing? I would keep it on the down low...

Reactions: Akikiki
Bought my P85D in JULY, 2018

It was never mentioned connectivity was limited. Originally had 3G and paid for an LTE upgrade which is now useless.

Another great move from Tesla to make sure I never buy anything from them again.
You can blame them for your failure to do your homework and ask the right questions. But its still on you.

You can blame them for your failure to do your homework and ask the right questions. But its still on you.

I was told it was included for life with the car.
Just like it was supposed to have a 0-60 of 3.2 seconds. Just like I was supposed to have an 85kWh usable battery...

I assure you it’s shady business practices rather than lack of homework on my part.

Yeah, but most of us asked point-blank about this and were told free forever. Not sure what the “right question” is if not that. Of course, I bet the sales advisor I talked to wasn’t familiar with this clause either, and in retrospect premium connectivity appears to have been defined as a “trial” for years, so of course in the end the fine print IS on us.

That would work for me, but I don't have any say in this. I was just predicting what's going to happen - even though I hope for you that it does not. I doubt you believe me, but I am on your side.

I would argue long and hard if I were you. We (owners in 2013) were first heard from Tesla we would get connectivity for 1 year then have to pay for it. In Feb 2014, we were heard it was changed to 4 years from Feb 2014. So we were all quite shocked it went past Feb 2018. In spring of 2018 we heard/saw that starting 1 Jul 2018 connectivity would be free for first year then charged after that. But it went longer (again) than 1 year. That same time we heard that all delivered cars prior to 1 Jul 2018 would be grandfathered to unlimited with no expiration date.

I think - that would also apply to all new or used (even those resold as used cars by Tesla), but hearing so many people with recent used car buys reporting their account shows Standard, it appears that Tesla is taking that unlimited away from these pre-1 Jul 2018 cars.

I would not like it either. What recourse is there? Maybe a few should tweet Elon?

I was not trying to purposely get on your bad side with my comments. I wish it was not happening to you.

There was nothing in writing that says it was going away on Dec 31st, 2019 if that’s what you mean.

Here is the writing for you from after your time of sale that says connectivity levels for used vehicles do not change through a sale: Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

Tesla COMPLETELY botched this roll out for used vehicles. The reason that Premium hasn't been shut off yet is because they are realizing they botched this. They magically created a policy in December 2019 and are trying to apply it to used vehicle purchases from July 2018 The sales reps are being flooded with complaints.

The simple truth is that it was NEVER put in writing or otherwise stated that used cars would lose Premium Connectivity until they updated the wording on their website in early December of this year.

Whether it was Tesla's intention to include used cars in this policy, they failed to make it explicitly clear in writing. The sales reps were also unaware of this policy so made false promises.

Your best recourse is to send an email to your sales and delivery reps. Include that reference to the internet archive which states CLEARLY that connectivity levels are kept the same through sale. I have already done so, and the reps advised me that this is a much larger issue than just my account, so the resolution is taking longer than expected. I encourage EVERYONE to reach out to your sales reps. Tesla support is useless and will not help you.

Shadiest business practices ever. And for those of you who are "well it's your fault for not doing your research." Why don't you do your research and realize that TESLA is literally breaking the law here. Total bait and switch.

The FAQ section for their premium connectivity page (to this day) isn't even accessible directly from the Tesla site. Even if it did have the section for used cars in there (which it didn't) they could hardly defend that because it's not displayed in a way that a reasonable person could find it. You have to have the direct link to it. None of the sale or purchase documentation, not on the order page state anything about connectivity.