Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why am I having to pay for Premium Connectivity? When I bought my second Model S on the 21st June 2019 there was no mention of this on either the initial Tesla Design pages or the final design sheets for my vehicle. I have kept screen prints of all the documents available during the whole process and nowhere is their sign of a 12 month trial period.
I have checked the "Glovebox' on my Tesla account and within the Final Invoice, Order Agreement and Terms and Conditions there is no detail of a future charge.
I believe this is legally wrong and I would challenge the validity of this charge which has been added retrospectively.
In Australia they have already challenged the charge and Tesla have amended the date on which this charge was to be implemented as a result! Australian Premium Connectivity.pngScreenshot 2020-07-09 at 20.06.30.png Does anyone else in the UK agree?

I am being charged, but my point is that at no time when I bought the car was there mention of a future charge for connectivity. Tesla could retrospectively charge for anything if they are allowed to get away with this charge what's to stop them charging for anything that you thought was part of the original purchase agreement?

I am being charged, but my point is that at no time when I bought the car was there mention of a future charge for connectivity. Tesla could retrospectively charge for anything if they are allowed to get away with this charge what's to stop them charging for anything that you thought was part of the original purchase agreement?
Oh, they “clarified“, not changed your agreement? Welcome to Tesla.

More seriously, I don’t see this a just a Tesla issue. As cars become more software based reliant on OTA updates, new regulations will be needed to protect the consumer. 3rd party competition wouldn’t hurt, either.

When you took delivery, from that point were you ever charged for premium connectivity? If not, contact Tesla and they will restore your account with 24hrs.

Just to clarify Tesla Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 16.52.11.png this was the page when I ordered in early June 2019 and from last month Tesla have charged me for Premium Connectivity.

Screenshot 2020-08-03 at 17.33.48.png This is the same page today with the added "Premium Connectivity (1 Year Included)"
This is a retrospective charge which was never indicated when I bought the car.

This is my second Tesla the first was a 60D and I also have a Tesla Powerwall 2 so I am a strong Tesla advocate but in this instance I genuinely believe they are wrong and the fact that in Australia & New Zealand they have had to change the dates when they would charge for Connectivity to when they started to show it on there design page would support my claim.

Just to clarify View attachment 571966 this was the page when I ordered in early June 2019 and from last month Tesla have charged me for Premium Connectivity.

View attachment 571967 This is the same page today with the added "Premium Connectivity (1 Year Included)"
This is a retrospective charge which was never indicated when I bought the car.

This is my second Tesla the first was a 60D and I also have a Tesla Powerwall 2 so I am a strong Tesla advocate but in this instance I genuinely believe they are wrong and the fact that in Australia & New Zealand they have had to change the dates when they would charge for Connectivity to when they started to show it on there design page would support my claim.

See my response above. Contact Tesla customer service to restore premium connectivity to your vehicle. This should take up to 24hrs to restore.

Yeah, you should be good to go. I originally had the one year trial when I purchased my car in October, but it has since been converted to unlimited. You should be in the same boat since you purchased before January 2020.

Tesla screws up / steals features all the time, but they (usually) make it right with some prodding.

The car was bought new on the 17th June 2019 and there was no mention in either the Tesla literature or web pages of a Premium Connectivity trial period in fact there was no mention of Premium Connectivity. On the design page for the interior it offered Premium Upgrades Package which I paid for along with Full Self Driving Capability which I also added. I could not have added anything else other than Ludicrous Mode which I didn't want.
I have now spoken to Tesla Head Office who say it is a problem for Tesla UK to resolve and Tesla UK have pointed me to the Service Team to whom I have now written.
The joys of Tesla ownership!!!

The car was bought new on the 17th June 2019 and there was no mention in either the Tesla literature or web pages of a Premium Connectivity trial period in fact there was no mention of Premium Connectivity. On the design page for the interior it offered Premium Upgrades Package which I paid for along with Full Self Driving Capability which I also added. I could not have added anything else other than Ludicrous Mode which I didn't want.
I have now spoken to Tesla Head Office who say it is a problem for Tesla UK to resolve and Tesla UK have pointed me to the Service Team to whom I have now written.
The joys of Tesla ownership!!!

I also bought a Model S new about the same time. Ordered May 19, delivered early August. I'm also in the uk. I got the email this morning notifying me that my premium connectivity has expired. I don't think I have documentary evidence that my car had premium connectivity for life but we would all have been the same before a given date.

How best to proceed @owensl6 ? A service note through the app? I'm not sure I have any other way to get through to them.....

I was told to contact the service team by email at : [email protected]

This what I wrote.

Hi,
Why am I having to pay for Premium Connectivity?
When I ordered the car on the 10th June 2019 VIN 5YJ******************99 2019 Model S there was no mention of this on either the initial Tesla Design pages or the final design sheets for my vehicle. ( Please see attached screen prints from the 12th June and today) I have kept screen prints of all the documents available during the whole process and nowhere is there sign of a 12 month trial period.
I have checked the "Glovebox' on my Tesla account and within the Final Invoice, Order Agreement and Terms and Conditions there is no detail of a future charge.
In Australia and New Zealand (Attached screen prints) on the 25th April this year they amended the date of implementation because like the UK nowhere was there mention of this future charge until after July 2019 on any Tesla literature or web pages.
I would therefore challenge the validity of this charge and would be most grateful if you could contact me as soon as possible to resolve this issue.
Kind regards Steve Owen.

I don't hold out much hope of a reply!

When I bought my first MS in 2017, they clarified that the connectivity was included for a limited time. When I asked how long, the client advisor said that Tesla hadn't charged anyone for data in all the years they had offered it, and it was left at that, "free for now" effectively. It wasn't a surprise to me when they started charging for it on my new S - all gravy trains reach the end of the line eventually, haha.

If I *hadn't* been told that though, I'd probably be a bit sore from a new charge coming seemingly out of nowhere. Sounds like another example of the downside of Tesla moving too fast, and not informing everyone in their org.