Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. Just turn on your iPhone personal hotspot and then connect your Model Y to the network. That is of course if your cellular plan includes hotspot data.

You won’t have full premium connectivity features with wifi/hotspot though FYI. You lose satellite maps and live traffic visualization, but everything else should work.

Also make sure to turn on remain connected to wifi in drive, otherwise wifi will disconnect when you shift out of park and you have to manually reconnect again.

So what does a hotspot give you if you don’t get satellite maps and traffic visualization. Spotify, TuneIn, etc, can all be accessed from your phone and linked via Bluetooth, and the phone Spotify app is much better than the Tesla app. How is the hotpot better than Bluetooth? Genuinely curious.

So what does a hotspot give you if you don’t get satellite maps and traffic visualization. Spotify, TuneIn, etc, can all be accessed from your phone and linked via Bluetooth, and the phone Spotify app is much better than the Tesla app. How is the hotpot better than Bluetooth? Genuinely curious.
It lets you access those services through the car screen and not the phone. If you don’t care about that or don’t prefer that then it’s not better for you and don’t use hotspot then. But other people might prefer to use the car and not the phone.

Also BT audio streaming loses quality vs directly playing the media but it’s not noticeable for most people.

Reactions: pepperoni
1650006738775.png

Reactions: iamnid and Puma2020
So if I don’t have premium connectivity and then use hotspot or Wi-Fi, I can use the Tesla screen Spotify app?
Yes.

If you don't purchase Premium Connectivity you can't use Sentry Mode - View Live Camera which is a very cool feature IMHO.

Tesla recently announce an annual subscription price for Premium Connectivity of $99/year + tax. This saves you 20% over the monthly plan. In comparison I had GM's On-Star data plan with my 2017 Chevrolet Volt and was paying $20/month for a limited data plan. In comparison Tesla's Premium Connectivity is a bargain at $99/year.

It lets you access those services through the car screen and not the phone. If you don’t care about that or don’t prefer that then it’s not better for you and don’t use hotspot then. But other people might prefer to use the car and not the phone.

Also BT audio streaming loses quality vs directly playing the media but it’s not noticeable for most people.
Totally agree about personal preference. It’s very easy to control my phone with Siri, so the Tesla screen isn’t a big advantage for me.

Interesting point about audio quality, but I’m thinking Bluetooth should provide better Spotify audio quality. Tesla connects over LTE and throttles Spotify to 96kbps. No idea if it does the same thing with a hotspot connection, but it wouldn’t surprise me. My iPhone connects to my car using Bluetooth AAC codec at 250 kbps, and I subscribe to Spotify Premium with rates up to 320 kbps. Even the free version streams at 160, higher than the Tesla app. More important question is whether I could even tell the difference, and I’m betting It would be challenging in a blind test with road noise in the background.

I’ve been using the Tesla Spotify app lately, and find lacks many features that I use (no history?). On the plus side, I can access it using Tesla voice control. I can also use Siri on my phone to access my phone’s Spotify app.

I have free Tesla Premium Connectivity for a year with my new car, so have time to figure out whether I like it enough to subscribe. After three weeks of ownership, I’m struggling to see the value proposition, or for that matter, even the value of using a Wi-Fi hotspot. Bluetooth seems to be just fine for me.

Last edited:
If you don't purchase Premium Connectivity you can't use Sentry Mode - View Live Camera which is a very cool feature IMHO.
You beat me to it. View Live Camera in Sentry Mode is one of the most attractive features to me.

Even if you can utilize some of the other features through hot spot or BT, the Premium Connectivity annual plan comes out to about $8/month. I think it's totally worth it to not have to fool with your phone.

I have free Tesla Premium Connectivity for a year with my new car, so have time to figure out whether I like it enough to subscribe.
You sure you have it for a year? My MYP only had a 30 day free trial.

Reactions: DrGriz
You beat me to it. View Live Camera in Sentry Mode is one of the most attractive features to me.

Even if you can utilize some of the other features through hot spot or BT, the Premium Connectivity annual plan comes out to about $8/month. I think it's totally worth it to not have to fool with your phone.

You sure you have it for a year? My MYP only had a 30 day free trial.
Yes. I ordered in September when the offer was for 1 year. Since then, they dropped it to 30 days.

Reactions: DrGriz
Interesting point about audio quality, but I’m thinking Bluetooth should provide better Spotify audio quality. Tesla connects over LTE and throttles Spotify to 96kbps. No idea if it does the same thing with a hotspot connection, but it wouldn’t surprise me. My iPhone connects to my car using Bluetooth AAC codec at 250 kbps, and I subscribe to Spotify Premium with rates up to 320 kbps. Even the free version streams at 160, higher than the Tesla app. More important question is whether I could even tell the difference, and I’m betting It would be challenging in a blind test with road noise in the background.
You got me curious with 96kbps limit on Spotify. I didn't find any solid proof but people are saying it was addressed last year. The Spotify should use 320kbps or close to it now.

You got me curious with 96kbps limit on Spotify. I didn't find any solid proof but people are saying it was addressed last year. The Spotify should use 320kbps or close to it now.
I can’t claim to be an authority on this, but this guy did a test and calculated 96kbps. It was a few years ago, so it is possible it streams at a higher rate now. I might just try it with my home Wi-Fi and look at the data rate streaming through my router.

I was curious, so I tested it. I watched my Tesla Wi-Fi traffic on my home router using my iPad while I played about a dozen songs I hadn’t played before using Spotify. The song gets downloaded all at once, so one needs to look at the total MB of the song. For example, a 5 minute song might be 2.5 MB, equivalent to (2500*8)/(5*60) = 67 kbps. I saw that most songs had a 40-80 kbps rate, and I never saw anything reach or exceed 96. I tried the same thing on my iPhone and the file sizes were about 2x larger, and clearly exceeding 96. I never saw anything there getting anywhere close to 320 (the max I should see with my premium account). I’m guessing the density of the music affects the compression, where a fast punk rock tune would not compress as much as, say, John Cage 4’33”, even using the same 320 kbps encoding.

Bottom line, I believe the Tesla Spotify app is still using 96 kbps encoding.

I did my own research. I played 3 songs from Pink Floyd The Wall album and analyzed results using Palo Alto firewall. It's a Next Gen firewall that can identify applications, URLs etc. I've identified URL destinations where Spotify downloaded music from and checked total bytes transferred from the identified addresses only. Spotify transferred around 60MB for songs that take 21.67MB compressed MP3 with 320kbps encoding. What did I learn? Spotify pre-caches songs from the playlist (downloading songs ahead of time, not just 3 songs I have played) making all my efforts useless. I also learned that I wasted my time and should have watched movie instead :)

Last edited: